Lash extensions - trouble separating lashes help!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nf29

Reaction score
hi there. i have recently completed a course in individual lash extensions and have tried it out on a few people....not clients yet!

i am struggling with the whole seperating the lashes thing. everyone iv seemed to practice on has a lot of lashes and there are so many its really hard to isolate just one. any tips or advice on doing this part would be much appreciated.

i know it takes a lot of practice but because im struggling with seperating the lashes im getting very frustrated and losing the will to carry on with it!

I've just learnt them two weeks ago and I've got a bit better at doing it just from being more positive with the pointed tweezers and not being afraid to poke about a bit.

I learnt Lash Perfect ones and once you've found the lash you can rest the tweezers on those gel patches to hold it whilst you dunk the glue. And go in amongst the roots not the ends

This was what I was struggling with, I was feeling like I was running out of places to put them on, but you become "braver" if that's the right word

Best of luck, they are tricky!

I know this isn't what you want to hear... But it's all practice! Just keep trying. You'll get better, and faster.

If you buy a pair of strip lashes you can stick them on to a curved surface and practice on them.

Keep at it you will get there, just dint panic when your doing them :)

Hey, if you give enough time once you've applied the individual lash to the natural lash you usually don't really end up with them sticking together, also what lashes are u trained with. I do lash perfect lashes and when I first started it took time and the ultimate glue is so much better once you get the hang of it as it dries quicker so less time waiting for the glue to dry before you move on to apply a new lash. An that way less having to desperate through the ones who have stuck to each other as it doesn't happen with the ultimate glue if u give it a few seconds to dry xx

thanks girls

today i had a client who had so many fine lashes....she was a friend so she knew i was practicing but my god i could have gone home!!!!

should it be the curved tweezers used to separate them and push the other lashes to each side? at the course we were shown to just push all the lashes away at one side. and i take it its best to keep practicing separating from the actual roots?

the kit i have is the eyelash emporium

Babe u should hold x tweezers in one hand and you use them to hold the lashes away once u have that single lash and the pointed ones to pick up the lash and apply I alway find that if your pointed tweezers are long ones makes life so much easier. X

I use pointed tweezers for both isolating and applying the lash, but everyone's different. It also depends on who you trained with I suppose. I just stick with the way I learnt it.

Unsure what you mean about just pushing the lashes away at one side?

Hi!
Hold your curved tweezers at the base of the lashes and loosen the grip so that the ones at either side are separated. It does take practise to perfect but you'll get there x

Oops sorry I meant the other way round the x tweezers to pick up the lash! :)) we all went through the same thing it takes time don't give up you will get there and when u do it's amazing I love doing lashes now even though it takes time :) be patient and your clients will love them too! X

Can I just hijack this thread while we're all here and just quickly ask about glue, because I am trying my best not to put loads of glue on so the roots aren't looking horrible, but my clients are ringing me back the next day saying lots have fallen out (thankfully they are very understanding that I'm learning and don't mind coming back). When I comb them through, quite roughly tbh now, they are all staying in, but have fallen out by the next day?!?

However today, I had a lady in for infils who had another therapist do them, and there was so much glue in the roots it looked awful, BUT they had stayed in.

I want to aim probably inbetween what I'm doing now, and what I've just seen today, how do you know how much glue is enough??? Its the new Lash Perfect glue I'm using, the one that took ages to dry was a nightmare.

Can I just hijack this thread while we're all here and just quickly ask about glue, because I am trying my best not to put loads of glue on so the roots aren't looking horrible, but my clients are ringing me back the next day saying lots have fallen out (thankfully they are very understanding that I'm learning and don't mind coming back). When I comb them through, quite roughly tbh now, they are all staying in, but have fallen out by the next day?!?

However today, I had a lady in for infils who had another therapist do them, and there was so much glue in the roots it looked awful, BUT they had stayed in.

I want to aim probably inbetween what I'm doing now, and what I've just seen today, how do you know how much glue is enough??? Its the new Lash Perfect glue I'm using, the one that took ages to dry was a nightmare.

Hi, I can't comment on the glue use as I use Flirties expert. So hopefully someone will pop along with advise about lash perfect.
You shouldnt really apply too much glue, if you can see it. Then there's too much. Here's what I do;
Dip the lash in, lightly swipe the natural lash then dot off any excess on the gel pad, place the lash on.

Hope that helps and makes sense :-D

Hey hun, well i do lash perfect lashes and use the ultimate glue, once I've picked up my lash and have found a natural lash to attach it I dip my lash kind of rol it forward and back slightly so it catches the glue both sides and a little bit down the root I would say only like a little tad, then I stroke the lash on the natural one so I see it coats the lash, hope that helps :). Also I have done infills for clients who have had literally clusters of glue from other therapists and even thou it may last longer it will eventually irrate them and they will have ther own lashes fall out and damage them! X always remember even with the ultimate to give a couple of seconds before u leave the lash and that way if u are experiencing clients having the same problem ( the lashes falling out very soon ) then just apply more glue to the lash and it will be fine as long as u give it that pause before u go and find a lash as u don't want them to stick to each other xx

Also exactly what ruby said if u see excess amount of glue "blob" dap it on to the gel patches. X

Yep thanks ladies that sounds (worryingly) what I'm doing already. I am trying so hard not to have that gross bead of black glue, dabbing off the excess and waiting a while before putting it on. Also trying to coat the existing lash with a bit of it before putting it on, I have got so much better at this in only a week, but its so disheartening seeing them go out the door looking fab and secure, only to get a phonecall in the morning saying they have come out.

It wasn't until I saw those clumps thing morning and I just thought Oh god is that how much I'm supposed to be putting on??? And also they were MASSIVE heavy extensions that had been put on, like 14's 0.2's on tiny fluffy lashes, but the beggars were still clinging in for dear life, despite looking gross and tangly!

Lol babe I'm sure your doing a fantastic job compare to those clumpy lashes!!! They should never look like that, I suggest u change ur glue babe I had that problem or shake it around :)) xx

I'm going to skip around the salon and shake shake shake it tomorrow. I really quite enjoy doing them now, I am determined to crack them!

I'm going to skip around the salon and shake shake shake it tomorrow. I really quite enjoy doing them now, I am determined to crack them!

Just to check, what are the natural lashes like, and what lashes are you using?
Also what is your preparation before?
X

I know this isn't what you want to hear... But it's all practice! Just keep trying. You'll get better, and faster.

If you buy a pair of strip lashes you can stick them on to a curved surface and practice on them.

What a great tip! Thanks!

Latest posts

Back