Lash lift patch test

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChloeeR

Reaction score
So I am newly qualified last week and want to check how you deal with a patch test when you use a brand line that doesn’t have the patch test packs like LVL. I have got the step 1 and step 2 in the little individual sachets. If I open them to do a patch test on a client, can I sellotape up the packet and then use the product on the client 24 hours later or does it ‘go off’ I don’t want to waste product if possible but may not be thinking logically here either lol.
Thanks x

Yes this is what I do. Just seal them back up and put them in an airtight container x

Yes this is what I do. Just seal them back up and put them in an airtight container x
Thanks - how long can you get away with keeping them in the container for once opened? x

Thanks - how long can you get away with keeping them in the container for once opened? x

As long as the packaging states. It should say "once opened use within xx weeks/months" x

I've always been of the understanding that you don't need to patch test with lash lift as the product never actually touches the skin. I've just checked on professional beauty and this is also what they are saying. The only thing you could patch test for if you've got a particularly sensitive client is the glue but normally the glue has no known allergens anyway. I'd check with the manufacturer as if they're not providing an easy way to patch test rather than having to open individual sachets then they maybe don't think you need to x

During my training we were told that we must patch test every single product 2 days before the treatment. I pierce the small packets open with a pin and gently squeeze a small amount out to use for the test. Once opened I then put some tape over the hole and wrap the packets in cling film. Mine are open then and are used within 7 days of opening, according to manufacturers instructions.
Glue can cause allergies and so is worth patch testing. Just pop some onto a small stick and then apply.
All products used are placed onto the inner fold of the arm. Lifting products, serum, adhesive, micropore tape and then tint used after the lift.
Always follow manufacturers instructions or re visit your training manual to be certain that you are doing things correctly.

Legally, you test every product, even tape can cause an allergic reaction. It isn't optional to patch test products that you apply, ever. A lash is a body hair and therefore part of the body and nothing should be applied to the body without patch testing. Apart from anything else it is professional. You only have to patch test a client once, not every application. A long as the applications are normally spaced and the client consultation doesn't show any changes in health, medications etc.

Once you open a lash lift product the chemical reaction starts, each time you use the product after opening the chemical reaction will be slightly different as time progresses. So the longer the product is open, the less effective it becomes. It won't become dangerous, just useless over time. What it will affect if you go beyond manufacturers instructions is your insurance and the manufacturers guarantee of quality.

I understand that if a product touches the skin then it may cause an allergic reaction and would never carry out a tint without patch testing first as the tint may touch the skin but with a lash lift the product should never touch the clients skin, only the hair, which is dead (you're not applying to the follicle after all) and therefore doesn't require a patch test (some companies may insist and if this is the case then you should always follow their guidance) Regarding your initial question you could always ask your manufacturers how they would suggest you patch test and follow what they tell you rather than what anyone else advises as with insurance this is what they will trek you to do -always follow manufacturers instructions.

I agree with the others. A patch test should be undertaken to ensure the client is suitable for the treatment otherwise your insurance might be void.
Most systems will be ok to use for the patch test and then seal the sachet for the next client so you don’t waste the remainder of the sachet x

I have just thought, you could reseal the products and then use the rest of that sachet on the same client when they come in for the treatment. That way it won’t be sat around long at all.
And I always patch test the lift, fix and glue. When I trained in lash extensions we were even taught to patch test a tint of piece of under eye patches, because of the collagen in them!

Latest posts

Back