Lash retention, please help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyralouise

Reaction score
I qualified in lash extensions with Ellisons back in March (just over a week before lockdown!!) so I only had maybe 3/4 practices before a huge break. I started lashing again about 6 weeks ago, making it very clear that I am still practising and therefore only charging £10 a set. I'd say I've done 10/15 sets all in all. But I cannot get them to last even a week. Most people message and say that they have lost most of them within 2/3 days and I don't know why!
I have stopped using a primer after seeing someone say that this dries the lashes out and messes with the retention. I also don't wash them as this wasn't covered in the training. This is the method I use, any advice would be greatly appreciated..
1. Get the client to look up while I apply the gel patches
2.Tell them to keep their eyes closed until I say otherwise
3.Brush out the natural lashes
4. After shaking the glue for 30s-1m I put a peasize amount onto my jade stone (taped up with micropore)
5. Starting at the outer corner of the right eye, Grab the first lash with my right hand, isolate with my left and place the lash about 0.5mm from the base of the natural lash. I keep the lash isolated for about 5 seconds once placed.
6. Then I repeat this on the outer left, inner right, then inner left to give them all a good chance of sticking properly.
7. Once I'm happy with them, I give them a little brush out and check for any loose ones, generally there aren't any
8.Get the client to slowly open their eyes, checking for any stuck to the lower lashes or patch.
9.Then I give them an aftercare pack (includes an aftercare instruction card and a lash brush)

I should note I was using the mylash glue, but have switched to flirties sensitive after a recommendation from a local lash tech. I use either mylash B/C or flirties C/CC individuals. I've tried pre-made fans which looked way fuller but fell out even quicker...

Thanks in advance to anyone who actually read the whole of this essay!!

I am fairly new to lashes also and so I can't offer great experience but retention is not something I am having problems with at the moment. My timing is slow though. I do cleanse the lashes. I don't bathe them unless they have mascara but even when clients tell me they have not worn mascara for a few days cleansing them always brings off residue from previous make up. I use Lash FX cleanser (My whole system is lash fx). I can only imagine that this is something that would help? I don't think sensitive glues are as good in terms of adhesion. I do prime as well but this is just what I was taught x

Thanks for your reply. I do have the flirties cleanser so I will give that a go (I’ve got a client in about 5 mins). I know sensitive glue is not all that long lasting, but after speaking to someone locally they said that a quicker glue will give better retention but only once your lash placement is up to speed. Otherwise the glue is too dry. Lashes have honestly been the most difficult service so far, if it wasn’t so in demand I wouldn’t have bothered! Thanks again x

Yes quicker setting glue is the way to go for experienced techs. Mine is no fast setting but not sensitive either. Give the cleanser a go. I think you will be amazed at the amount of debris and left over product you lift from the lashes. How long are you taking to do a set. It takes me about 3.5 hours! It is draining and like you the most difficult service I have trained in to date. I have booked on an advanced mapping course later this year to try and help cause I still don't feel I know the correct styles etc for the eye shapes. x

ok so I cleansed with tonight’s client, so I’ll see how she gets on. Sets are taking anywhere between 1:45 and 2:30 hours at the moment but only because I can tell the clients are getting physically uncomfortable. I could definitely carry on for 3 hours plus and get them really thick and how I personally like them. Most clients reaction has been “oh they’re so nice and NATURAL” so I think that means they’re not particularly full. I try and limit myself at 2 hours, but as I get quicker I’ll obviously be able to get more lashes in, in that time x

It is hard. I don't feel mine are as full as I would like them to be but like you I am conscious that it is a long time to be laid on your back. I have mine lifted an seriously struggle with pain after just an hour of laying on the couch lol x

Experienced extensionist here. Humidity can effect retention, depending on the glue and your area. I’m in so cal high desert, very dry. I have to run a humidifier to keep my glue working. If your humidity is very high it may set before your able to adhere the extension. Also some glues have a 24 hour no water exposure (will make the glue brittle) and most glued are a strict no oil based products. Hope this helps a little ladies! Keep up the good work and don’t forget to stretch your hands!!

Latest posts

Back