Lashes sticking together, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetyrex

Reaction score
I started doing lash extensions a few months back, I've got to grips with isolation and placement of the lash but having trouble sticking the bottom ones down!
I recently changed my glue from marvel lash glue(I saw the reports of it on here and after lashes coming off very quickly stopped using it after a few sets) and switched to lash emporium which is great for drying and the lashes sre lasting much longer.
But.. since switching I'm having trouble with the bottom lashes, they seem to get stuck to the top ones. I work from eye to eye and ask my client to open eyes regularly to make sure they dont get completly stuck! I use the collagen pads but find these move too much.
Thats how I was taught in training, I've got to say it wasnt the best course and I would like to re-train but until I can has anyone got any tips?
Does anyone else have this problem or had this problem?!
would tape be better to use than pads?

Thanks!

You could always use a bit of tape over the top of the under eye pad to hold it in place and help stick the little escapees out of the way :)

yeah, i was thinking i might try that next time so will give it a go and see how i get on!

What do you all do if you do get any stuck?!

Ask the client to slowly open and have a quick look to see where its stuck, then close their eyes again.

I normally isolate the one lash which is sticking to the bottom one and remove it on its own. Then re-open clients eyes.

Check to make sure its not still stuck and then re-apply the one lash after moving the pads to make sure it wont happen again :)

(Hope that makes sense!

When you say collagen, do you mean the gel pads or the lint free sticky back pads?
I use micropore tape to tape down the lower lashes and then use collagen gel pads-more for relaxation than anything else.
As I tape down the lashes I do not have any problems with lower lashes sticking to the top ones. If 1 or 2 do escape I tape them down again and just gently pull them apart.
I never get my clients to open their eyes during the treatment. Doing this only leads to watering eyes and the movement of tape or pads.
Remember to use a spooley during the application to make sure lashes are aligned properly and doing this can also break any stickiness that you may get between top and lower lashes.
x

When you say collagen, do you mean the gel pads or the lint free sticky back pads?
I use micropore tape to tape down the lower lashes and then use collagen gel pads-more for relaxation than anything else.
As I tape down the lashes I do not have any problems with lower lashes sticking to the top ones. If 1 or 2 do escape I tape them down again and just gently pull them apart.
I never get my clients to open their eyes during the treatment. Doing this only leads to watering eyes and the movement of tape or pads.
Remember to use a spooley during the application to make sure lashes are aligned properly and doing this can also break any stickiness that you may get between top and lower lashes.
x

Thanks
The only reason I'm getting them to open their eyes is because I knoe I'm having problems with them sticking and because my pads move so I need to replace them!
I use the collagen gel pads, thats how I was trained!
Going to try the tape!

Ask the client to slowly open and have a quick look to see where its stuck, then close their eyes again.

I normally isolate the one lash which is sticking to the bottom one and remove it on its own. Then re-open clients eyes.

Check to make sure its not still stuck and then re-apply the one lash after moving the pads to make sure it wont happen again :)

(Hope that makes sense!

Yeah makes sense! thanks!

I use the collagen gel pads, thats how I was trained!
Going to try the tape!

So they dont have a sticky back?
If not, then thats where you are having your problems.
These pads will not keep the lower lashes out of the way, so you definitely need to use tape as well.
x

I use under eye gel patches made for eyelash extensions, they are very sticky and do not move during the procedure (unless, maybe you push down too harshly with your tweezers?). If client's natural top lashes are touching the pad, then I gently lift the eyelid using tape. After the procedure I do not ask clients to open their eyes, I gently lift them using finger and make sure none of the bottom lashes are catching with top. It is not very pleasant for a client to open their eyes and feel that top lashes are stuck with bottom, that is why I check them first. Rarely when one or two bottom lashes have escaped and are catching with top, I will hold the bottom lashes with my straight tweezers and separate the top lash with another set of straight tweezers (without pulling or hurting the client). When I'm sure it is all fine, I then ask clients to open their eyes. I suspect that possibly the pads you are using are not suitable. Good luck!

So they dont have a sticky back?
If not, then thats where you are having your problems.
These pads will not keep the lower lashes out of the way, so you definitely need to use tape as well.
x

They do have a sticky back but they say collagen pads when I buy them. Even though they have sticky back they moove so will try tape over them.

I use under eye gel patches made for eyelash extensions, they are very sticky and do not move during the procedure (unless, maybe you push down too harshly with your tweezers?). If client's natural top lashes are touching the pad, then I gently lift the eyelid using tape. After the procedure I do not ask clients to open their eyes, I gently lift them using finger and make sure none of the bottom lashes are catching with top. It is not very pleasant for a client to open their eyes and feel that top lashes are stuck with bottom, that is why I check them first. Rarely when one or two bottom lashes have escaped and are catching with top, I will hold the bottom lashes with my straight tweezers and separate the top lash with another set of straight tweezers (without pulling or hurting the client). When I'm sure it is all fine, I then ask clients to open their eyes. I suspect that possibly the pads you are using are not suitable. Good luck!

Thanks
The pads I've got are sticky but still move. Where do you get yours?

I use the Eyelash Emporium under eye gel pads. These are great.

When I was trained I was taught to use micropore tape and then pads and sometimes more tape on the top for ones which break free!

However, I hate having the tape on my delicate under eye skin and I find cients have this experience too. Even if I remove some of the tackiness first, it still doesn't 'sit right' with me. We shouldn't be pulling that skin. However, when first qualified it may be necessary. Also another problem with the tape is it becomes VERY uncomfortable for the client if it rides up at all.

Most of my clients have the gel pads and then one strip or two to hold down any stragglers. My regulars who I am used to tend to have no tape. Newbies usually end up with tape as I hate getting 'stickies'.

After I've done the lashes, I look under the extensions, using the stick end of my brush or handle of my tweezers to pull the lashes up to see if any are connected to the lower lashes. If they are I will try and flick them off by holding the top lashes and gently teasing apart. Sometimes, however the only way is to say this is perfectly normal and get them to open, it is then easier to prize apart gently, as long as it's only one. More lashes is a bit disastrous and no longer happens to me as I've been doing it a bit longer.

The main thing is not to panic, to stay very calm and reassure client that it's perfectly normal.

Once or twice I've somehow managed to stick a lash to a bottom lash - entirely!! Nowhere near a top lash but somehow it has masqueraded as a top one (clients with very long lower lashes). Those are easy to handle as you just use a bit of de-bonder.

As a general rule, I would say - de-bonder during a set of eyelashes is an absolute LAST RESORT and I always try not to use it.......

Thanks for all your help! X

Latest posts

Back