Last day today!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HayHair84

Reaction score
Morning all, today is my last day of work at the salon I've worked in for 2 years & the people I've worked with for about 3-4 years!!
I made the decision around Christmas time to leave, it wasn't an easy decision to make (as salon owner is my sister)!!
I shall be qualified in June/July this year with my NVQ 2 in hairdressing so I would need to find a salon to work in then anyways, as my current one wants 3-5yrs exp with clientele, I totally understand this, I want them to let me work there for my skills not just because we are family.
So I decided to bite the bullet and leave my beauty & get that more established as being mobile & then once I'm
More confident with my hairdressing incorporate the 2 together as mobile services!!
I'm not sad, a little nervous but mainly I'm excited, this is something totally for me, my little baby, my career my families future I'm building, everything is in place insurances, stock, advertising, marketing etc & I'm already to go, March is looking a good month already & No more rent to pay :) xx
2014 ladies will be a good year for us all xxxx

Excellent! Good for you. Stay true to yourself, stay focused and enjoy! X

I'm leaving my job at the end of march! It's a boring office job which I've been wanting to leave for months finally handed my notice in last week. Finally got everything I need to start my little business working from home and mobile offering nails, waxing, brows. I'm a bit scared but mainly excited! Got a few more bits to buy this month and going to start my advertising in a couple of weeks ready to book clients in advance (hopefully) before I leave 31st march!!!

Thank you NailsXpress, my mother in law has said 'sell yourself, your such a polite honest person who is lovely & approachable, so sell yourself & your Business your good at what you do & start to belie in yourself'
I truly feel that I can do this even more now that it's down to me :) I'm naturally quiet & wear my heart only sleeve by do lack confidence & can never pay myself a compliment, lol!! I'm nearly 30 & still got a lot to learn :))
Good luck hazeleyes its so exciting, adventuring in to something new :) you will be fine & have clients booking in!!
I'm going to set my rules & boundaries quite firmly, ie payments, no shows, cancellations, offers, mates rates etc, were here to run a business & I want to pass this on to my daughter (currently 3) & I want it fully established, well known for client care & standards (hopefully will have a couple of salons by then)
Targets are set, just got to make the changes now :) xx

Thank you NailsXpress, my mother in law has said 'sell yourself, your such a polite honest person who is lovely & approachable, so sell yourself & your Business your good at what you do & start to belie in yourself'
I truly feel that I can do this even more now that it's down to me :) I'm naturally quiet & wear my heart only sleeve by do lack confidence & can never pay myself a compliment, lol!! I'm nearly 30 & still got a lot to learn :))
Good luck hazeleyes its so exciting, adventuring in to something new :) you will be fine & have clients booking in!!
I'm going to set my rules & boundaries quite firmly, ie payments, no shows, cancellations, offers, mates rates etc, were here to run a business & I want to pass this on to my daughter (currently 3) & I want it fully established, well known for client care & standards (hopefully will have a couple of salons by then)
Targets are set, just got to make the changes now :) xx

It is exciting isn't it? I think I need to set some strict rules too! Mates rates for me I think needs to be the same across the board and a percentage off the full price- everyone gets the same off.

Good luck to you too- seems like you've got your head screwed on! You will be fine!

Thanks Hazel :) I'm determined for It to work & be successful, my years are quickly passing by, lol!!
You'll be fine too hun, I bet you can't wait to leave!! x
Yes same as you, same amount of discount for everyone xx

Thanks Hazel :) I'm determined for It to work & be successful, my years are quickly passing by, lol!!
You'll be fine too hun, I bet you can't wait to leave!! x
Yes same as you, same amount of discount for everyone xx

I know the feeling! I'm 30 already!!!!! Need to make this work- I'm itching to leave it's dragging by now lol x

Best of luck to you both! Something I have wanted to do for 2 years leave my full time receptionist job & go full time into my beauty! Could yous let me know how you get on with this please? Xx

[QUOTE=Angie

Definitely will Angie! Sometimes I think you have to take the plunge and try something you love!!! If it doesn't work out then at least we tried?!

Xxxx

I know the feeling! I'm 30 already!!!!! Need to make this work- I'm itching to leave it's dragging by now lol x

OMG I could have written this I'm trying to leave teaching I quit last monday and want to be a full time MUA but the supply agency keep sending me more teaching work and I need the money so I keep accepting but I hate it so much!! I just want this term to be over so I can spend time perfecting my BTEC make-up assignments and get my portfolio perfect and get on with what I want to do before I lose any teeth lol!!
Wish I'd been wise enough to go with my heart and do beauty instead of A-levels when I first left school I just kick myself when I think where I would be by now lol. I just have to think that at least I've found what I want to do in life now not when I'm 70 with hindsight. So nice to know I'm not the only "older person" (that makes me lol cos I don't feel old at 27 just feel old to be starting this when every credible college course in my area says "age 16-19 only") making the leap into new territory! Hope it all pays off girls! I'm sure you'll both do amazingly HazelEyes and HayHair84 good luck!
Torrie xx

Last edited:
Angie Definitely will Angie! Sometimes I think you have to take the plunge and try something you love!!! If it doesn't work out then at least we tried?! Xxxx[/quote said:
Without a doubt! If its slow at first you could always go part time somewhere. Im sure it will work out for you both think I need a bit more of a client base before I go packing my job in but dedinatly what ill be doing in the near future. How good would it be waking up every day knowing you did the job you love! Xx

OMG I could have written this I'm trying to leave teaching I quit last monday and want to be a full time MUA but the supply agency keep sending me more teaching work and I need the money so I keep accepting but I hate it so much!! I just want this term to be over so I can spend time perfecting my BTEC make-up assignments and get my portfolio perfect and get on with what I want to do before I lose any teeth lol!!
Wish I'd been wise enough to go with my heart and do beauty instead of A-levels when I first left school I just kick myself when I think where I would be by now lol. I just have to think that at least I've found what I want to do in life now not when I'm 70 with hindsight. So nice to know I'm not the only "older person" (that makes me lol cos I don't feel old at 27 just feel old to be starting this when every credible college course in my area says "age 16-19 only") making the leap into new territory! Hope it all pays off girls! I'm sure you'll both do amazingly HazelEyes and HayHair84 good luck!
Torrie xx

Do you teach beauty? I'd love to do that :)

Do you teach beauty? I'd love to do that :)

Sadly no, I teach chemistry. I did A-levels and a degree in traditional subjects because the connexions career advisor pushed me into it because I was getting good grades. I told her I wanted to do beauty and she just laughed at me and basically told me it was a lesser career choice which really upset me. :(
So I ended up doing A-levels, got rubbish grades because I hated my subjects, had to waste a year retaking everything, did a degree, worked in McDonald's for 2 years then trained as a chemistry teacher. I find 9 times out of 10 I am explaining concepts to students using hair or beauty products - e.g. using pre-lightening as an example of the effects of an alkali. I'd love to teach beauty one day maybe but I haven't even qualified in it yet lol.

Torrie xx

Sadly no, I teach chemistry. I did A-levels and a degree in traditional subjects because the connexions career advisor pushed me into it because I was getting good grades. I told her I wanted to do beauty and she just laughed at me and basically told me it was a lesser career choice which really upset me. :(
So I ended up doing A-levels, got rubbish grades because I hated my subjects, had to waste a year retaking everything, did a degree, worked in McDonald's for 2 years then trained as a chemistry teacher. I find 9 times out of 10 I am explaining concepts to students using hair or beauty products - e.g. using pre-lightening as an example of the effects of an alkali. I'd love to teach beauty one day maybe but I haven't even qualified in it yet lol.

Torrie xx

Ha this sounds like me, I did a levels a degree and a masters even! I didn't change to beauty till I was 27! I regret not doing it earlier but i was laughed at when I said I wanted to do beauty college instead of alevels by everyone!
Good luck to you too! Good luck to us all!

Xxxx

Torrie xx

Chemistry was one of my hardest subjects at school lol!

I did uni with the view to teaching in a school but after uni I didn't want to go back into the school environment because they weren't happy days for me and so wanting to do something fun, people facing and creative I trained in beauty and nails and it has kept me in a job since then.

Now however I want to go into teaching because I want more predictable working hours, more money and perhaps more responsibility. It maybe sounds a bit plain but I want to worry about money less and prepare for life after work.

I was all looking forward to teaching beauty but I'm hoping to do secondary pgce because I believe it's more versatile than training to teach post 16 only.

I don't know if it's a beauty thing or a general thing but I sense this industry has people wanting in and people wanting out alll the time. Sounds like I want your job and you want mine lol!

Is there really as much paper work as people say for teachers?

Best of luck with it all :)

Latest posts

Back