Last minute cancellations rant!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmebeauty

Reaction score
Hi everyone, haven't logged on for a while but tonight I feel the need for a rant, and for any feed back if you've had similar problems ...

Clients that cancel at the last minute! rahhhhhhh! Winds me right up. I'm mobile and a single mum so sometimes I've gone to the trouble of arranging childcare, juggling other appointments to fit in clients that can only do certain times and sometimes put myself out to please and accommodate specific wishes just to receive a message (or sometimes they just leave me hanging) "sorry I can't do tomorrow now" ... This happens loads and to be honest I'm getting so sick of it I'm thinking about throwing the towel in for something more reliable. Being self employed I have to plan my budget week to week and (maybe I shouldn't but) I'm fed up of making plans then having to cancel them as I'm let down and can't then afford it. Are there any other mobile girls that have experienced this same problem? X

I'm not mobile but self employed on a 50% commission basis, last week I was soo ill I had to have Friday off (loosing out on money!) dragged myself in on Saturday at 8.15am and had 1 colour not turn up and the other not come due to being hung over! First thing in the morning aswell and had no one then until 12.30 x

That's the joys of self employment, I'm not mobile either but It's still stressful being a small business when clients cancel or just don't show up, I never count my money before I make it tho, saves disappointment

Thanks girls :) know I should've learned by now not to count on that money until I'm at the clients and it's in my hand but it's so hard with Christmas coming up etc. I always stay very professional and bite my tongue ... Even If inside I'm boiling! Lol. I seem to waste so much time answering questions and emails and juggling my diary to please and all for what? It's so disheartening I just don't know if it's worth plodding on with it x

Unfortunately the juggling and sorting appointments out is part of self employment, I'm answering fb messages till late most nights, I'm glad of the business tho, and if I diddnt want to I just wouldn't answer till the next day,

how often are people letting you down or re arranging at short notice?

You should stop rearranging your plans for people, you need a life aswell x

I'm a bit of a night owl anyway so am happy to answer messages late and I really enjoy what I do which is why it's such a shame I'm wondering if it's worth it. Facebook is great and a lot of my clients are friends or mums from the school, these I don't have a problem with, it's those that enquire thru Gumtree and those that like my FB page from my advertising that are the worst of all, I should think that in the past 6 months out of 30 queries (to the point of booking) at least 20 of those have let me down last minute or I spend hours messaging and supplying information, they say they'll book and I never hear from them again. I knew being self employed was going to be a bit hit and miss but the past few months have been dire for this happening. Sometimes I think 'is someone setting me up here?' Lol. X

I get that completly, I have numerous friends of friends on fb asking for services but never actually having an appointment, you'll be able to spot them out soon enough, most people who react to an offer such as an ad on fb are really only in it for the one time deal anyway, just look after your regulars the best you can and they'll give you genuine leads to new customers, don't forget all the people who don't currently go to you go to someone else it takes time to win over new clients and get them to trust you to do their services, by that time you'll be able to spot a time waster easily :)

£400 worth of no shows last sat. It brings a tear to your eye.

Thanks again girls, it's made me feel loads better getting your feedback. I'll hang in there, I'm not a quitter :) guess it's just part of the job. Frustrating as it is when you're so passionate about what you do and pride yourself on client care I suppose until they do get to know what you're like it's something you have to put up with! Really appreciate your advice!

Wow! £400!!? ... That's a huge amount :( x

I had it quite a lot when I did mobile hair. You do learn who the no shows and serial cancellers are. I had a "client" book with me many many times over a few months yet to this day I have never touched her hair. She would cancel 5 mins before I was due to head to her appointment! I have had the ones who ask a million questions and then say "oh I can't book in yet" and the ones who book then the day before go to super drug, buy a box colour and upload pictures on FB then don't have the decency to even contact me to say the appt is no longer needed. It's frustrating but then you get your regulars book in and it goes well, they love the result, recommend you to a friend or family member and they book in and love your work too and all is right in the world again. Perks of the job eh?

I've had quite a few cancellations since starting out, although now I'm getting to know the signs early on. That differs for others though I guess.

My most annoying was a spray tan I'd been booked to do one evening. It was in the next town and, due to rush hour traffic, the usual 20-30 mins drive took 50 mins. I was bang on time, rang her doorbell and her boyfriend answered. She wasn't home and wasn't due to be home that evening. I called her whilst I was at the door and after a few rings it went to voicemail. I packed up the car again and drove home, another 45 minute drive. By the time I got home, she'd called and said she was 'stuck' on a bus on her way home. Completely contradicted what her boyfriend had said. She said she'd call and rearrange but she never did! Made me sooooo mad! It was only a tan so wasn't worth a lot but it would've at least paid for all the petrol I'd wasted!

Chin up, it'll get better! Hopefully you'll have a Christmas rush and be free of cancellations :)

The best advice I ever received - "Work smarter, not harder". Thank you, geeks!!

Not mobile, but I lost over £300 last week due to rebooks and illness...one lady on holiday decided as she walked into her pre booked colour appointment that she felt she didn't need a colour after all as she put a box colour on it 2 days previous, and said she'll just have a trim as she only washed her hair this morning - not happy!!

Confusion is a lifestyle - not a state of mind :eek:

I do understand that unexpected things happen and that sometimes if an appointments booked weeks in advance money situations can change, we've all been there, but to let someone down last minute over and over ... Or to simply not turn up is just plain rude!! ... Maybe I was brought up differently but I wouldn't dream of doing this to my own hairdresser, or anyone! .. Obviously treating others the way you wish to be treated yourself isn't everyone's way of thinking! Don't want to end up cynical, just need to fine tune my bs radar slightly! Lol.

I know what's going to happen tho, Christmas coming up, I'll get bombarded and those that have let me down will expect me to jump thru hoops to accommodate them ... Well I'm not!! I won't be unprofessional, I will remain my usual bubbly self .. Just a little more assertive and not so keen to please everyone! :lol: x

Do you have a cancellation policy? If not perhaps its time to impliment one-
Id be inclined to charge a booking fee to those who continually re-arrange/cancel last min/no show- which I would take of the final bill or keep should they not reschedule/cancel within the terms.
I have a list of 'do not book' clients who have messed me about. Id rather put my efforts into accommodating those who respect my time & appreciate my work.

Sometimes when they are booking you just know they are going to cancel!!!

I'm mobile - but I have to say I'm quite lucky that I get very few cancellations - I had one client who bkd every sat in May/ June for a blow dry and cancelled every single one either on the day or the night before!!😁other than that one of my clients was going to go dark and had a change of mind last week and cancelled - I would say if u get that many and they are regulars don't re book them or tell them u have a cancellation policy ( tricky one I know) x

Generally we are pretty fortunate in that we don't have many no shows. We have a 50% charge but implementing it is hard.

We had four no shows last Christmas Eve so this Christmas Eve we are closed but working mega late on the Monday and Tuesday before Christmas which is already quite booked up. I know that people will be expecting us to pull out all the stops to fit them in, and I will do my best but I'm looking forward to Christmas Eve x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm sorry you've experienced this but I'm relieved to read this! (The reason i came onto salongeek tonight) I have had an unnerving amount of cancellations the last week for this week/next week and then because I'm busy for christmas struggling to get them back in. Then feel guilty/know they'll probably go else where. Again I understand that life happens just so frustrating when you know they're going to cancel at the Point they make the appointment. Taken december deposits so hopefully less messing around x

Latest posts

Back