Late client (friend) could I have handled this better?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McBeth

Reaction score
I have a home salon, and a client, (also a friend) had an appointment booked for 10:00 am this morning, she is usually fairly on time, give or take 10 minutes. I also had a recently new client booked in following my friend at 11:30am.
At 10:10 I sent my friend a text saying, "hi, just wondering if you are far away, as I have another client right after you. Nothing. So at 10:20 I phoned her, but her phone was switched off and it went straight to messages, so I left a message anyway, explaining she was booked in at 10:00 and I had another client following her. Then I waited, not sure if she was going to arrive or not, stressing out that both ladies would arrive at my door at the same time!
She finally arrived at 10:45 ready to come in, but as she was now 45 minutes late I didn't have enough time to do her treatment, (gel removal and overlays) and tidy up etc, before my new client arrived at 11:30. So I said, I'm so sorry, I tried to contact you, but unfortunately I don't have the time now now to do your treatment, as I have another client booked in, in 45 minutes. She said "but I was booked in at 10:30" I replied, no it was 10:00am, and when I wrote it down for you on your card, you joked that you hoped you would be awake for it as you like a sleep in on Saturday mornings. She said, "well that's not what I wrote on my calendar", and got into her car and left. To make matters worse it is also her birthday today.
I feel terrible, especially as Im sure she left upset, but I don't know how or if I could have handled this better. I'd love some feedback.

I think you handled it as best you can. She was 45 minutes late, you wrote the information down for her. I'm sure you suggested another time that would be good as well?

You can't always accommodate, especially when someone is that late and you have a client booked in soon after. I think it was even Geeg who said that her salon has a 15 minute policy because it isn't fair to make the next on-time client wait because of someone's tardiness. I'm sure there was a threat where she mentions that!

I think you handled it completely fine.

Thank you, she left before I could ask if she would like rebook, she didn't even say good bye!

I think you handled it well. Did she have the appointment card that you wrote on with her?

Friends are the worst!!!

I have a home salon that I do after 10 hours of work in the evenings.

My 'best friend' had booked two of her work colleagues in last week for HD brows & one for nails. Great. I was turning people away left right and centre last week. Low and behold half an hour before there appointment 'something came up' well goodbye £70.

Then Thursday eve she was due for her HD brows 'something came up' luckily I filled that appointment. Friday eve she changed her appointment too, an hour before I get the text 'a work thing came up' but as always good old face book 'Sophie checked in at the pub' I WENT MAD!

She wasn't really bothered and just said fine il go elsewhere for beauty, so she can do just that. Good luck to her finding someone that will put up with her messing around. And if she wants to pay non friend rates then good luck.

Sometimes things like this make people show their true colours. Iv realised on her behalf it's only a friendship or convenience, well...adios lady xx

As she left so abruptly, I have no idea if she still had her card.
I am very, very pedantic when I book my clients in, and I'm 100% confident of all booking times.
I'm a bit shocked that she felt 10:45 was still reasonable to arrive for what she thought was a 10:30 appointment.
She would also be the first to lecture me about being a bit tougher with some of my ladies, when realistically, she is no angel herself.

Look, I think she is just embarrassed and cross with herself as well as being disappointed .. She totally knows she is in the wrong and you remembering the convo with her was the kicker because she then remembered it too and had no reasonable defence.

I would ring her or text and tell her that you hope her day isn't spoiled because she was confused about the appointment time but you could maybe offer another time for her today so that her nails look lovely for her birthday? If not, she has learned a lesson the hard way. She needs to respect your time as well as to show her respect for you as a friend.

We do have a 15 minute = a no show policy in the salon. I will never let an on time client down because I accommodated a late client. Late clients know that we will only give them the time we have left which means an incomplete appointment and they are charged the full amount.

Thanks so much ladies, I will send her a message as you suggested Geeg, and hope we can move on :)

Dont feel bad, you gave her a card with the time on and as you say even if she did think it was 10.30 for her apt she was still late!! we have to start as we mean to go on and nip these things in the bud so to speak. I think I would maybe have offered to soak them off for her though and paint them if i had time or she could paint them herself, depends what the set she had on looked like.

I had a client a few weeks ago who turned up nearly 40 mins late for infills on L+P extensions and had text me to say she also wanted her toes painted! when she arrive that late i explained i may not be able to do her toes as was very busy that day and had even worked through lunch etc. When she arrived she had no nails on at all!!!She said she had soaked them off???She thought that would save me time....i explained that she was booked in for infills and not a new set so i definitely couldnt fit her in!!! As she had a wedding the next day i painted her fingers and her toes. It kept her happy and it meant that i didnt lose out too much money wise!!

Souz, she didn't give me a chance to offer an alternative time, or treatment options, she just turned and left, it was extremely awkward and uncomfortable.
In future, I will send a reminder text the afternoon before with the appointment times, hopefully that will eliminate any further issues.

Souz, she didn't give me a chance to offer an alternative time, or treatment options, she just turned and left, it was extremely awkward and uncomfortable.
In future, I will send a reminder text the afternoon before with the appointment times, hopefully that will eliminate any further issues.

I was about to post that I always include the time of the appointment in my confirmation text. I really hope your friendship hasn't suffered over this, but yes it is a lesson learned.

Dont worry then hun, its just one of those things!!Dont let it ruin your day. My client that was late asked me if i could always text her the day before her appts to remind her...the thing is i dont have to do that for ANY of my other clients and i am extremely busy xx

I think you handled it very well, if she was that botherd she would have asked you to soak them off at least but she was so embarrassed she had to leave.
Just send her a text and see when/if she wants them done again x

I wouldn't dream about being late for my hair apt at my friends salon ... !! Any apt wherever it is, thats why you have a time!!!
I wonder why ppl think its ok to be late !!!
Hope it works out with your friend, ... I agree, she knew the correct time ESP when you reminded her of your conversation - I think she was embarrassed as she was late & then lied and you caught her out !!!

That's the thing, people don't realise (or maybe just done care) that if they dont turn up. You lose money! or you've prepared your room for them/the wax is on/or you've sent your kids to your mums so you can do the treatment in peace or if your mobile and you turn up at their house - and they have gone out.

It really isn't fair, but do they wanna pay the "no show fee" - no they dont.

Or if they do turn up late, they expect their treatment to commence as if they had been on time, regardless of whether you have another client booked in or not.

But what can you !

(mini rant over lol)

I think you did the right thing too. And I'm also amazed that she thought being 15mins late was acceptable.

Mind you my client was 15mins early on sat, caught me on the hop as i wasn't expecting it, luckly i was ready for her.

i think you handled this well..

if she wanted the treatment she should have turned up on time or we can expect a couple minutes late if shes traveling to you.

she shouldnt think that you would drop other customers to do her treatment.

I think it's a good idea to send reminder texts....I don't do it for everyone, just the ones that I know I need to lol

i would have said my next client due in at 11.30 we have 45 mins , ill work my magic , but i have to be finished bang on... so shall we do a colour change infill??? sit down sweet cheeks lets go xx

Thanks everyone's, she has rebooked for this Friday, which I'm very relieved about!
Chanails, I would not have had time for a soak off and full set of overlays, as well as to tidy up before my next client.
I understand where you are coming from, but if I had tried that approach with my friend, she may have thought I was being sarcastic or rude which would not have helped her mood. She loves having her nails done, it's a treat for her and time out, so rushing it, on her birthday was not ideal, and I was already flustered, knowing my luck, I would be all thumbs and take twice as long as usual.
In a strange way it is probably the best thing that could have happened as I don't think she will be late again.

Latest posts

Back