Late clients?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barrio

Reaction score
Hi guys.. I have only been an official nail technician for two months so stay with me.. Today i had An appointment with a woman for a full mani pedi, shellac removal and reapplication at 3. Me, as a Newbie and knowing the times i needed for a good Job, product cleanup and preparation for the Next client, i has scheduled the next appointment with a New client at 6. So, the 3 k clock shows up at 4,says she mixed her schedule at work and Made a mistake and that she send someone to tell me that she should
arrive around 3 or 4. That someone told me she would be there at 3,and I was like okk..
So she Comes in and I tell her that since she is working next to our Shop we could do the shellac application and leave the 30' footbath for the next Day or if she insisted we could do what we had time for. And whats her answer? "No i want the Best Job you Can do and you Will tell the next client that she Will wait. I thought that i might Made you fall behind on your schedule."
I was furious. I did the Job. I finished her at 6 25
and had already put the second one in the footbath. And she says.." oh i thought we would be done at 7" so she expected me to have another client Who was on time wait for one your. It showed that I was upset and I didnt Care. Mind you the next client was understanding but somewhat disappointed that she was running late. And while I was in the middle of the secknd Lady, a walk in Came in but was already late and couldnt wait. So, the first one cost me a risky first meet with a New client and a stranger that i dont Know if Will Come in tomorrow.
My Mother owns the Shop i work in and told me i should be More understanding. I told her that the another client was running 15 minutws late and I was like its ok.. No big deal. Next time she was 40 minutes late because of work.
What would you do? I feel bad that I was clearly upset but i dont want anyone abusing the fact that i am New or he she Knows my Mother. Any advise?

No. Clearly this lady is just plain rude. And unfortunately a common occurrence.

“You will tell the next client she will wait” who the hell does she think she is?

Yes, be more understanding, but to clients who genuinely need it and those that respect you. Set yourself this mind frame and you’ll win most of the time. And always address the situation calmly and professionally (your waiting and missed clients, and your reputation, and your head space will benefit). It sounds like you handled the situation beautifully anyway.

We’ve all had those clients. Personally, I’d rather not have their business. Next time she books in and this happens again (I think it will) and asks for the best you can do, don’t do the full service, do what you can, but hella charge for it.

No. Clearly this lady is just plain rude. And unfortunately a common occurrence.

“You will tell the next client she will wait” who the hell does she think she is?

Yes, be more understanding, but to clients who genuinely need it and those that respect you. Set yourself this mind frame and you’ll win most of the time. And always address the situation calmly and professionally (your waiting and missed clients, and your reputation, and your head space will benefit). It sounds like you handled the situation beautifully anyway.

We’ve all had those clients. Personally, I’d rather not have their business. Next time she books in and this happens again (I think it will) and asks for the best you can do, don’t do the full service, do what you can, but hella charge for it.

Thank you so much for your answer! This is my thinking too.... I might be New and my book is not full.. But i love this Job and I Want clients that respect me and my Time. And I dont need that kind of attitude on my table.

Unfortunately clients like this do exist and they seem to turn up to therapists who have recently started (probably because they have burnt their bridges at other salons and are now barred!)

My tips would be:
  • If a client doesn't arrive on time, wait 15 mins and then phone them.
  • Only do what you can until the time their appt ends (whether you have some one next or not - lie and say you do)...teaches them they can't dictate the hours.
  • When they arrive late, ask them which treatment is their priority as you no longer have time to do everything, but you can re-book for next week.
  • If a client blatantly mucks me about, I block their Facebook, phone number and email so they can no longer book an appointment with me (short of turning up on my doorstep, which is highly unlikely as they can't even bother to turn up for sessions they have booked!!) :mad:

Sounds like you encountered your first nightmare client. It’s almost a rite of passage.

My advice? You need to take control of the situation and be very firm. You should NEVER allow a late client to prevent you starting your next client on time. That’s very bad for business and whilst the waiting client was understanding at the time, it’s was perhaps because she was keen to get her nails re-done that day but she might not bother to return. A walk-in not prepared to hang around is less of an issue because they know that there’s a good chance you’d be busy and it won’t put them off trying again another time.

If a client arrives more than 10 minutes late, you need to tell them that you can only do X in the time left and be very insistent. Do not allow them to dictate to you because if they do it once, they will do it every single time. If you view it as ‘it’s all money’ remember that the person kept waiting won’t be raving to others about the great service she received at your salon so potentially you don’t just lose her custom but her friends too.

Does your mum own and work in the salon? I wonder why she said you should be more understanding about late clients?

Just another little thought...

Have you a cancellation policy in place for the ones who don't turn up or cancel at the last minute?
If you don't have one yet then I would make that a priority to write this weekend. Put copies everywhere the client will see when booking e.g. Facebook page, on salon wall, on your website, paper copy handed out with every brochure etc.

Just another little thought...

Have you a cancellation policy in place for the ones who don't turn up or cancel at the last minute?
If you don't have one yet then I would make that a priority to write this weekend. Put copies everywhere the client will see when booking e.g. Facebook page, on salon wall, on your website, paper copy handed out with every brochure etc.

No i dont have one... I Know all the right things to say.. But its just a small community and they Will badmouth me for sure..

Sounds like you encountered your first nightmare client. It’s almost a rite of passage.

My advice? You need to take control of the situation and be very firm. You should NEVER allow a late client to prevent you starting your next client on time. That’s very bad for business and whilst the waiting client was understanding at the time, it’s was perhaps because she was keen to get her nails re-done that day but she might not bother to return. A walk-in not prepared to hang around is less of an issue because they know that there’s a good chance you’d be busy and it won’t put them off trying again another time.

If a client arrives more than 10 minutes late, you need to tell them that you can only do X in the time left and be very insistent. Do not allow them to dictate to you because if they do it once, they will do it every single time. If you view it as ‘it’s all money’ remember that the person kept waiting won’t be raving to others about the great service she received at your salon so potentially you don’t just lose her custom but her friends too.

Does your mum own and work in the salon? I wonder why she said you should be more understanding about late clients?

I Know that about the second client... And thats why i was really upset... I just hope she Will he understanding and that she left satisfied with the service so she Will Come Back..
My Mother is a hairdresser and she owns a hair salon for 33 years... She knows People, she knows the neighborhood, she knows her clients.. And I get what she is saying.. Thats why i offered her a follow up the next Day... I Can understand that something happened at work so you stayed late.. But demanding that someone will wait because you were late? I want nothing to do with her anymore..

Write a cancellation policy and place this on your facebook or advertising page and next to your desk. Even a reminder to look at your policies in your appt reminder messages. I include 15 minutes on every service to allow for people slightly late but at 5 mins past, I message to ask if they're almost here and if no response, I message again at 15mins to say I have had to cancel their appointment to avoid getting behind for other clients.
Its so hard when first starting out to get pushed around by people but a couple more clients like her, you'll soon learn to be stern and strict about timings!

Latest posts

Back