Late-comers to hairdressing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmmieRose

Reaction score
I'm a nail tech (though I just do mani / pedis and nail art, disliking working with gel extensions), and have a couple of other trainings and careers I won't bore you with. I started the hair course in my early twenties but got distracted by life and didn't finish. I'm now thinking of going back to hair school (it's a ten month course here) when my son graduates high school (logistically it would be very difficult to do so before he's launched off to college, university, or wherever he's going, because the closest school is an hour and a half from where we live and I don't want to move him). That is five years from now and at that time I'll be 44. I, by no means, think 44 is old, but do know standing for long periods (although, I've heard they have nifty moving chairs hairdressers can use now while working) and working with your hands, can take a toll on any body, particularly an aging one. My wonder is, if I invest in the course at that age, how long can I expect to work? I know this is very individual to how I take care of myself (I'm in pretty good shape, eat well and exercise) and genetics, etc (ie, if I get rheumatoid arthritis in my hands like my aunt, I'm in trouble). My general plan would be to work as a hairdresser while continuing to do mani-pedis, possibly at the salon I work at now, or possibly moving to a new town to start over (more challenging again because I'd have to completely build up a new clientele, and at least I'm somewhat known as a manicurist / pedicurist where I live). As I said, I also have a couple of other endeavours on the side. This means I'd like to work in a salon probably four days a week to leave a day or two for that other work. Sorry so long... my general point is, I would like to hear from those who did their training a bit later in life; how that went for you (did you feel you fit in at school? how long do you expect to work for? What is average retirement age, as in "I'm-retiring-because-my-body-can't-handle-this-anymore not I'm-retiring-because-I-want-to). Generally, I'd like opinions on coming late, if not to the industry, to hairdressing. I will point out that I haven't totally forgotten what I was taught all those years ago before becoming a beauty-school-drop-out (lol, I left to go to uni, then left that to party - I had a misspent youth). Also, I plan to spend part of the next five years practicing updos on myself, my friends, and a couple of mannequins which should be in the mail, thumbing through milady texts, attending beauty conventions, and generally soaking up knowledge from the hairdressers I work with at the salon.

Long story short, what are your opinions or experiences of becoming a hairdresser in your forties or watching others do so?

Best,

Emmie

Last edited:
I'm 41,finished my training last year and haven't looked back! I somehow found myself at university studying and training to be a qualified nurse in my earlier years, decided I'd had enough and entered the hair industry, it's something I honestly wished I'd done years and years ago. Having only qualified as a hairdresser a year or so ago, I'm still learning, but gaining in confidence. Do it, I promise you won't regret it xx

I'm not going to say what you want to hear........

IMO, hairdressing is different to other aspects of this industry....
It TAKES TIME.......LOT'S of time.....to get good!

What I mean is, YEARS of experience......

I wish I could be more positive for you, but I want to be honest.

I could say....
GO FOR IT BABE....IT'S NEVER TOO LATE......:p
But....
I''ve took on 'mature student's...been there and got the 'T' SHIRT, they don't fair well....they struggle......:(

Today's client takes no prisoner....they smell your fear, they sense your inexperience, and they will enjoy taking you down...:eek:

In a tough market, those looking for good hairdressing, are looking for GREAT HAIRDRESSING....:cool:

Salons want either to rent a chair ....or if they employ, will expect you to be excellent, AND bring a clientele.....;)

The mobile market is flooded.....full of those who thought they could earn sh*t loads of money from cutting hair in;
'The comfort of your own home...'

BLOW LTD.....the equivalent of 'Uber' cars have taken hold of the 'at home' market...

Times they are a-changing!

I agree you have to think of your market when you are qualified. Doing a course is the bare minimum, then if you went mobile you would be on your own with no help on what your doing, no one to ask, no one to bounce or learn off.

In my opinion the most successful hairdressers are those with salon experience while training and post training.

You would do a course in a college environment then your on your own after that- I don’t think it’s ideal at all to grow a business

Well, my hope would be to go back to the salon I currently work in as a nail tech and offer both, or to generally work in a salon. The courses here include a salon attached to the school where you get experience as a required part of the course, and I may have an option to apprentice instead (a longer process but I may be able to start sooner). I hear you, Essex and Red, but I have no plans to go mobile, and live in a rural area. Sure, expectations are high even in the country, but I feel it's a touch different than a big city and I have a relationship with my salon owner.

I do appreciate your honesty though, so given that, as you say, it takes time to get really good, what are the most challenging aspects? Are they things I can learn, at least to some degree, on my own in the meantime by lurking here, talking to colleagues, and watching youtube?

Latest posts

Back