Lavender oil in bath 28 weeks pregnant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shel

Reaction score
As the heading says this is regarding using lavender oil in the bath. I'm 28 weeks pregnant and read on a baby forum that 5-6 drops of lavender oil in a bath can help relax and sleep (which I am severely lacking).

I then made the fatal mistake of googling it and got the worst conflicting evidence as usual.

Can anyone who deals with essential oils help. I purchased pure lavender oil and as states only used about 6 drops in a bath, I seem to instantly want sleep so its good for me but just want to check that its not harming my baby.

All help and advice greatly appreciated x

I'm no expert but was told with my pregnancies no lavender as its a muscle relaxant!

Sally

Congratulations on your pregnancy :)

I thought lavender was a no no :( though a quick search on google and can see there is lots of different views.

Have you tried camomile tea? I find that helps with a good night sleep, I sometimes give my toddler a small cup when he's teething too :)

Lavender is not good for baby as your skin will absorb it I would not use it if I were you

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Vida salon

Thanks guys, I've read a lot about not in the first trimester but everything else seems to just be a matter if opinion I might just phone my GP to be sure, if anyone who works with essential oils comes along that would be great 😃

I was always taught It's usually oils such as eucalyptus that can't be used in pregnancy. However there are some thing on google that say other wise. But I will go with what I have been taught.

Most things should be avoided in the first trimester but a few drops in a bath won't be harmful.
I'd say 6 sounds quite a bit. Start with 1-2 drops.

A really relaxing blend to help with sleep is sandalwood, neuroli and margaram. This is what I 'prescribe' anyway :)

Still check with your GP to be on the safe side as every pregnancy is different. And if you are already having any problems I would say no.

So long as they're used in moderation. So not everyday or for over-log periods of time then I've always been led to believe they are safe.

Just remember there haven't been any tests carried out on pregnant women or babies. Just on animals ( :( )

Laura xx

I was always taught It's usually oils such as eucalyptus that can't be used in pregnancy. However there are some thing on google that say other wise. But I will go with what I have been taught.

Most things should be avoided in the first trimester but a few drops in a bath won't be harmful.
I'd say 6 sounds quite a bit. Start with 1-2 drops.

A really relaxing blend to help with sleep is sandalwood, neuroli and margaram. This is what I 'prescribe' anyway :)

Still check with your GP to be on the safe side as every pregnancy is different. And if you are already having any problems I would say no.

So long as they're used in moderation. So not everyday or for over-log periods of time then I've always been led to believe they are safe.

Just remember there haven't been any tests carried out on pregnant women or babies. Just on animals ( :( )

Laura xx

I agree with Laura, every pregnancy is different and lower doses during pregnancy with a few oils to avoid. I would ask your GP as suggested to see if they are prepared to offer guidance on the subject and I would seek advice from a clinical aromatherapist.

I am a qualified aromatherapist and have worked as a birth partner, and have found a lavender oil bath very helpful in relaxing the woman as labour is starting. I honestly don't think a couple of drops in a bath will do any harm at all, as long as your pregnancy is well established (beyond the first trimester) and you have no history of bleeding. Excessive use of lavender can work a little bit like a psychotic and can make you feel high, so more is definitely not better. If you want to avoid the concerns, put some lavender in some water in an oil burner shortly before bed.

Please don't take this as gospel, as I would never 'prescribe' without doing a full consultation, so do check with your midwife or a doc.

Good luck x

Thank you all, I've just used a couple of drops in the bath once a week. I'm 28 weeks with no complications x

There was always conflicting evidence in books Internet etc. However when I trained with Itec the only oil we could recommend and use in pregnancy was mandarin, be careful as its photo toxic before exposure to sunlight but on the other hand it's extremely good for stretch marks, it's also a mild diuretic so could help with oedema. Hope that helps :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back