learn at home nail courses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

destiny0206

Reaction score
Hello!
I wondered if anyone could recommend a learn at home nail technician course,im hoping to become a mobile technician probably starting out with friends first.
I work and have 2 children so dont really have time to do a college course but have seen home learn courses available,are these any good???
thanks
Debsxx

Hi Debs and welcome to Salon Geek from a fellow learner :) I have just booked the Essential Nails acrylic tip and overlay course, the maintenance course and the nail art course. You can ring them on 01440 821999 and discuss your options with them, they often have offers on if you get more than one course and also offer a payment scheme over 4 or 6 months :)

Good luck hun xxx

IMO nails is a hands-on skill that need to be learnt in a hands-on environment. By learning via a dvd and a book how will you know what you are doing wrong? There is so much to learn and so many areas that you can make mistakes that trying to perfect your skills on your own will be very hard. Also, from a client's perspective I'm not sure how many would be happy to pay someone to do their nails who had only watched a dvd and practiced on a plastic hand?

College isn't the only alternative. All the major product manufacturers offer Foundation Courses which tend to be more intensive but give you the skills you need to practice and then work. I trained with CND, call Sweet Squared who are the responsible for CND Distribution and Education on 0845 210 6060 and chat to the girls.

Btw, before people jump on saying how 'practice makes perfect' think on this. Practicing incorrect technique just makes you very good at doing the wrong thing. Practice only makes perfect when you practice good technique.

Too many people on here have bought a home learn course only to find they need face to face education as well and have to pay twice.

Hth's

I plan on doing a CND conversion when I have completed my courses - that way I can relearn the wrong things and qualify with a large company who have an excellent reputation. Sadly, for some of us with small children, no car and no childminder etc, going for a 5 day course spread over a period of time is not an option :(

hi i have done a en course which was really good i enjoyed it , however i have now started an evening course at college as you have no one standing over you with the home learn you will never know if what you are doing is correct !

My course is 18 weeks you learn all 3 systems and is one eve per week !

From experience i would say go to college and learn from a tutor if you really can't do it then the en course is really good and the staff are really helpful if you need them it's just not the same as having someone there to show you face to face and advise you if your going wrong !!

I plan on doing a CND conversion when I have completed my courses - that way I can relearn the wrong things and qualify with a large company who have an excellent reputation. Sadly, for some of us with small children, no car and no childminder etc, going for a 5 day course spread over a period of time is not an option :(

Except as I understand it CND don't recognise EN as a strong enough educational base to do a Conversion course..... You might want to check that with S2.

Thanks Vetty, I will check that out later. College is not an option for me either sadly as our local college only runs it's courses on a Saturday which is the only day I have legal access to my eldest daughter and the little time I have with her is too valuable to spend half of it in college :(

I am still trying to save in the hope that I can overcome my obstacles and get onto a CND course one day but for now it isn't really viable for me both personally and financially ( my best friend has bought the EN course for me ) xx

Thanks Vetty, I will check that out later. College is not an option for me either sadly as our local college only runs it's courses on a Saturday which is the only day I have legal access to my eldest daughter and the little time I have with her is too valuable to spend half of it in college :(

I am still trying to save in the hope that I can overcome my obstacles and get onto a CND course one day but for now it isn't really viable for me both personally and financially ( my best friend has bought the EN course for me ) xx

Good luck with it!

Hi Debs and welcome to Salon Geek from a fellow learner :) I have just booked the Essential Nails acrylic tip and overlay course, the maintenance course and the nail art course. You can ring them on 01440 821999 and discuss your options with them, they often have offers on if you get more than one course and also offer a payment scheme over 4 or 6 months :)

Good luck hun xxx

hi guys i have just completed the essential nails acrylic tips overlay, and nail art course, i have been given a credit mark in my acylic and maintenance course and am awaiting grading on the nail art.
it is a good course but having completed these 3 courses i do not feel ready to go it alone!
although the home learn was very good and i could do it in my own time i feel i would have benefited more by having the hands on experiance.
so now i am looking for a salon local to myself to take me on as a trainee so i can actually learn from someone rather than from a dvd.
having said that i am not trying to put you off.
:) good luck in what you do

I would just say be VERY careful who you go with, i studied for nearly a year doing home study and the company have ceased trading now - just as i finished & it turns out the diploma's are worthless and the whole thing a scam. I am now back at square one looking at my options. i want to do the CND but like alot of others i have 2 small children and no childcare...

x

Hi, An Ezflow consultant that I did a few convesation courses with is happy to home visit one day a week and train if a few people get together and make it worth thier while coming ! only a suggestion.... good luck !

Hi

I have done acrylic tip and overlay and maintanance and then the nail art course and I have the gel course to do with Essential nails and then I went onto do CND conversion courses with it. This is the best way to do it if you cant get out to do a course or college. Good luck

I didnt think CND would let you do a conversion with EN Certificates ??

Or have you got other qualifications too??

I have been doing the EN courses, but am not getting on very well with them so am doing a Star Nails Foundation Course and will be selling the EN courses I havent opened yet.

I kind of wish I hadn't bothered buying the EN courses, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Hi Destiny,

If you want a course that lets you study from home, try the link in my signature to Nail Technician School with allows you to study from home at your own pace.:)

Every licensing authority requires hands-on training and demonstrations to license a nail tech. No online nail technician school can offer licensing. However NailTechnicianSchool.net offers the most advanced preparation for nail technician licensing.

Thanks to our comprehensive lessons covering every element of nail technician training, you can be at an advanced stage of your training before you even begin taking practical lessons from a school in your area. This can speed up your qualifying time and get you on a fast track to your future nail technician career.

rgrds
Dave

When you sell your EN courses MrsNails, be sure to let the buyer know they will need to pay for an assessment pack ( £95 for the overlay course ) to be able to get the cert in their name and to receive the student support etc :)

ok think about it! what are you going to learn from a home kit course with a dvd????? nothing! if you want to do nail as a professional rarther than a hobby, it take time, effort and constant focus on the situation. nails are a very hard and complex to understand from a home course.
i wasted alot of my time with nail training classes, college ect ect then i found cnd and i havnt turned back! theres no education like it!!!
sweet squared rock!

I find it very unfair that the sweeping assumption is that those who do actually partake in home based learning, especially in the nail and beauty sector, are not deemed as "credible" nail techs :(

Not everyone has the choice, the time, the ability nor the financial backing to do a course with an amazing company such as CND ( although had I got the chance, I would have chosen them first of course ).

I am a stay at home mum with 2 children, my husband works a lot of hours per week. I have to spend my day getting my children up for school and then take shifts with my family to care for my mother in law who has got vascular dementia and reminds us all each day that my late father in law is due home for his tea. I then collect my children from school, give them thier tea, feed my husband when he eventually comes home and then fall into a heap in my bed most days. I am lucky to get 3 days a week where I have a few hours to myself. I don't drive so can't travel to a course with a 9am start and get my kids to school ( the train would see me leaving at perhaps 7 to make Manchester venue at 9am at a push ).

What choice is there then for someone like me? I have got a passion deep inside me where all I do every day is think about nails, I am constantly talking about nails and all of my free time is spend either here or some nail place on the net or with my head in a book. The first thing I think of in the morning and the last thing at night is nails. How does someone like me prove they can be a credible nail tech when there is so much negativity out there towards home learn.

It dampens my spirit to think that I will probably never be seen as good enough by many techs on this site because of the nature of how I have learnt despite whether I can produce a good set of nails or not :(

Sorry if this comes across as a bit negative or borderline rude but if you truely have absolutely no time, transport or resources to allow you to attend a college course, even part-time, how do you intend to find the time to do treatments and earn money once you are competent?

Once trained, I shall still have the average 3 full days a week and I still have evenings. I do not want to be a nail tech so I can cram people in left, right and centre and make money. I want to be a nail tech so that I can do the one thing that I truly love and enjoy. I have a dedicated area at home which my husband has built for when I am qualified and I can use that as and when I wish.

My local college only runs their VCTC course on a Saturday which is the only day I have legal access to my eldest daughter also so I can't very well leave her to attend a course that is also mocked by many pro's both here and on other sites.

I just feel sometimes that unless you say you are training with CND or a similar company ( I know there is nobody in the same league as CND ) then you are not even seen as being a tech at all and that is such a shame as I genuinely beleive it is the passion that drives you that makes you what you are :(

i see your very busy with no time on your hands right now! so its clear you wouldnt have time to properly learn nails right now!
and to be honest with you a home learning course isnt the right path to go!!
cnd do basic begginers course in like 3-5 days i think.
plus colleges do courses part time and in evening classes!!
if your going to do it do it right!
x

Latest posts

Back