Learned the hardway...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitkat68

Reaction score
Hi all. I just figured out that my products have been purpously tampered with at work. I can tell that my powders have been contaminated with another product, also for about a month now I have had repeated problem nails where there were no problems before. My product has a very different consistency, my white is not as white, my pink does not flow freely as it once did, and my manicures and pedicures are only lasting a couple of days before coming off in sheets. I had a slight run in with the other nail tech prior to all of this happening, coincidence? I think not. I have replaced most of my products, my monomer, my primer and one of my powders. I am now taking them home with me at night despite having brought a locked file cabinet into work because I still do not trust it. I dread the thought of having to bring my products home with me every night but I do not see any other way around this. I will not be fooled again. I also suspect that my handset to my drill was swapped because not two months ago I had my initials on my handset with a permanent black sharpie, however they are nowhere to be found and my handset is now making weird noises. Permanent marker can be removed with acetone so I have no way of proving this for sure. I am very unhappy that this has happened but even more disappointed in myself for being so trusting and leaving my things around unlocked. I am literally going broke trying to replace all of these products, and it couldn't have happened at a worse time as I am a struggling new nail tech barley making any money as it is, but I have to replace the stuff for my name's sake and for the sake of my clients. Has this ever happened to any of you? I am not just being paranoid, I know that these things took place. Should I find a different place to work, or should I just continue to bring my things back and forth? Confronting the girl is not an option, it will solve nothing, she will deny it and it will only create more problems. It is very unfortunate that there are shady people like this in this world. I have truly learned a valuable lesson. Thanks for letting me vent. God Bless.

Last edited:
That's terrible hun! :hug: Is there anyway that you can lock your things up on site, so you won't have to carry everything back and forth? Perhaps investing in one of those footlocker things?

I do have a locked file cabinet there, but I don't even trust that at this point. I will lock up my drill, scrubfresh cuticle oil etc... but I will be bringing my monomer, polymer, primer, base coats and top coats home with me each night as to prevent this from ever happening again. It was a very expensive mistake and I'm sick over it but I will get through this and she won't get the best of me ever again. Thanks for your support, I really needed it. :)

Stick to your instincts kitkat68! I think taking your stuff home is the best thing to do. If it isn't there, you know nothing will happen to it when you're away and that person won't have the temptation of rampering with your product again & you can maintain the quality of your services.

Have you spoken to the salon owner? Would you feel comfortable doing that? I know you said you can't prove it but maybe take the owner aside one day and have a quiet word? You don't have to say "who" but just tell them your feelings. This might make them keep an eye out & notice things that they haven't before. Perhaps this person has done it to other staff in the past & they have left or haven't said anything?

Good luck!

Last edited:
If this sort of thing was going on in my business, I would immediatly remove the trouble maker.
No one has the right to put their hands on your equipment/supplies.
I have cameras, and they have helped out with some other situations that could have turned ugly, with out proof of what who and when.
Good luck with your situation.

that is disgusting ! even if you had words with another tech , what sort of person starts messing with your stuff :eek:? its a disgrace ,
personally i would go and find a salon elsewhere , with people that arent childish and nasty ,
good luck hun :hug:, hope you get sorted xxx

sorry to hear this

speak to the owner and take it from there

but i agree with taking your stuff home

I'd tell the owner that your products have been tampered with. I know of salons that have hidden cameras only the owner knows about to catch out these types of things. One person I know found out one of her girls was leaving and trying to poach all of the salons clients and stealing items so you never know your luck.

hun i realy feel for you, talk to your employer as they cant do anything about it if they dont know what is going on, noone can get away with doing this to YOUR products, i know its not much but heres a big :hug: for you

I think that the other techs behaviour is dispicable and i cannot believe someone could do such a horrible thing - she is obviously threatened by you in some way.... take your stuff home for now but look for somewhere else to work - you will never be able to trust where you are again ..... what are you going to do with your stuff in your lunch hour and on your breaks?

big geeky :hug: to you hun

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Speak to the owner log all that has happened dates times and so on i have a feeling if you stay at this salon you will have not heard the last of this person keep all you ducks in a row and don't show her that she got to you!!!!

Aw Hun that is so awful. I think it is disgraceful that anyone can do such a thing. Speak with the salon owners, they may already suspect what has gone on, you may not be the 1st she has done it to. Keep your chin up, and make a point of locking your valuable products away, she must be very jealous of you, you must be a better nail tech and that maybe behind her actions. Good luck lotsa luv x

Stick to your instincts kitkat68! I think taking your stuff home is the best thing to do. If it isn't there, you know nothing will happen to it when you're away and that person won't have the temptation of rampering with your product again & you can maintain the quality of your services.

Have you spoken to the salon owner? Would you feel comfortable doing that? I know you said you can't prove it but maybe take the owner aside one day and have a quiet word? You don't have to say "who" but just tell them your feelings. This might make them keep an eye out & notice things that they haven't before. Perhaps this person has done it to other staff in the past & they have left or haven't said anything?

Good luck!

I agree that you should at least mention it, this may have happend before and most probably will happen again to another member of staff if the owner is not aware.

Hope you get it sorted and make sure you go back in with a huge grin on your face so as to not let them get any satisfaction from their dispicable actions!!

Stevie

do u no what this says 2 me... that she finds u, or your work a threat, and that she is jealous of u, wot a cow though. she must have issues. its so sad that it has come 2 this, sad that u hav 2 keep ur things under lock and key and that u cant trust those u work with. good luck hun xx:hug:xx

i know it may seem like you are running away from it if you left but i personally couldnt go on working in the salon after this.even if things got better how could you fully trust them again? i would rather work else where in a better enviroment for me and my clients.
i thinks its a discrace and very sad that this sort of thing is happening.i hope you sort it out

You have 2 choices - have it out with them or leave. Either way may mean you have to leave but at least you will have made your point in having it out with them.

You have 2 choices - have it out with them or leave. Either way may mean you have to leave but at least you will have made your point in having it out with them.

i agree with theresa....have it out with them...if you have to leave then at least you got things of your chest .

Latest posts

Back