Learning to sew

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babychops

Reaction score
hi geeks.
I have been thinking for a while about learning to sew. I would absolutely love to be able to make all sorts of things like pillowcases, bedspreads, lampshades, clothes, well everything. But I have never even sewn a button or anything. I don't know where to start. I know I need to start small. I am going to get a sewing book for beginners first of all and then go from there. Can anyone give me any advice? Is there anyone on here that makes their own clothes? How did you get started? X

I love sewing!

Luckily, my late mum taught me the basics and my sister is brilliant at making things so I can always give her a call if I get stuck with something.

Two beginners books you might like are: Learn to sew with Lauren and Love at First Stitch, which covers dressmaking skills.

Both start from the basics and contain patterns for projects to do yourself. I bought them for a friend and she loved them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Learn-Sew-L...8&qid=1437247322&sr=1-1&keywords=learn+to+sew

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Love-First-...37247381&sr=1-1&keywords=love+at+first+stitch

Here's another good book for creating simple projects in the home.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Half-Yard-H...8&qid=1437258869&sr=1-1&keywords=sewing+books

Another option is to join a sewing group. I used to go to one years ago that was run in a workroom above a sewing machine shop. In a group, there's usually at least one person who's a whizz at making stuff and can demonstrate how to do the more tricky things.

There are lots of other books and online blogs too. YouTube have some helpful tutorials but some are much better than others (a bit like the hairdressing ones!)

Do you have a sewing machine?
If you're planning to buy one, may I recommend starting fairly cheaply with something around £100 ish. It's a bit like a washing machine in that there's no point getting one with 50 fancy pants stitches that you'll probably never use. Buy a well built basic model by a good name so you can get it serviced and buy spares easily. You can always upgrade when you have more experience and know what you fancy making. Second hand machines are often excellent if they've been looked after.

Last edited:
I can sew too, in my teens I used to leave work Friday lunchtime, wander on the market, buy some material and a pattern and knock it up in the afternoon and Wear it Friday night.

Not sure if they still do it but, Essentials magazine used to have a free pattern every issue.

As above, get a good basic machine, with a light, you can't go wrong with a "Singer" great bombproof sewing machines, my old faithful is probably older than us 3 put together lol,

... and as daft as it sounds, spend a little time sewing straight lines 1/4 or half inch apart. Once you've mastered straight lines then move onto sewing seams, then you're away.

You've then learnt the important basics and as you say, pillow cases, cushion covers ETC

YES! I do miss the markets with the stalls selling printed cotton fabrics cheaply. You could buy a couple of yards from the end of a roll for a few pounds and just make a quick skirt/top/trousers and have a unique outfit for the following weekend. There's no decent fabric stalls nearby me and the haberdashery shops are quite expensive.

I've taken to buying pretty duvet covers or lined curtains when they're flogging them off to cut up and make things like cushion covers as its a cheaper way of buying nice fabric. Old sheets can be used for making a sample pattern instead of buying calico fabric.

Try this link for a simple guide to making a cushion cover without zips or buttons. It's a good basic starter project. :)

Non near me now AcidPerm :( but like you, I've utilised cheap quilt covers and curtains lol, last yrr I raided the charity shop for covers and curtains, hot wash and away you go lol :)

You can also look for tutorials on YouTube, and join some of the sewing courses for beginners! ;)

Thanks geeks. I have just been to an art and crafts shop and bought myself a book on loads of sewing techniques and iv bought a little kit and fabric to practice on x

you can't go wrong with a "Singer" great bombproof sewing machines, my old faithful is probably older than us 3 put together lol,

Unfortunately it's the OLD Singers that are good - modern ones are not the fantastic pieces of engineering they once were.
I'd seriously consider buying one that's 30+ years old and taking it to a sewing machine engineer to be checked over/reconditioned.

I have a Singer that my father bought me in the late 1970s - it's an early 1970s model and (with maintenance and some new parts) is far, far better than my 2000(ish) Toyota.

I follow a lot of tutorials on youtube. Do you have a machine?

@TanBird that story is all too familiar now sadly, nothing is built to last anymore :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the likes geeks x

I really want to make something but I only have fabric atm and nothing else lol I need to go and buy other things like elastic etc anything I can create with just fabric, a needle and thread? Lol x

I think I'm gonna go on a little class as I'm really stuck on where to start. I look at projects in booked etc and it's all mumbo jumbo to me lol x

I really want to take up knitting as well lol x

I am in the same situation wanting to sew. I got a sewing machine for Christmas 2 years ago but still not really got to grips with it. I've had a friend and my nan show me and both have said my machine is quite awkward and over complicated to use. My nans got a ancient singer with the sewing table and I used hers easily but I struggle with mine. So I do agree with the above poster saying about older machines.
If you have anyone who could give you odd bits to work on would be good. My nan gave me ugly coloured thread she never used and a load of odd bits of material. I also rummaged through old clothes and cut them up for tester bits.

I bought a knit your own scarfe kit, iv got the hang of it but the yarn is like a bit of string with a fringe on, so I can't see my loops or anything! I need to buy proper yarn! X

Latest posts

Back