LED and high frequency whilst breastfeeding

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neggynanna

Reaction score
Hi guys

Could anyone let me know if it’s safe to do LED and high frequency on a breastfeeding client?

I have a high profile client booked in and I’ve just found out she’s breast feeding and I can’t find the answer in my training material

thanks so much in advance!
Anna

Hi

Thank you for your answer. I have recently trained in level 3 facial electrics.
No where in my material does it say about breastfeeding, only not to do it during pregnancy.
I rung my insurance and they said as a rule of thumb, don’t do it for 12 weeks after birth.

I am still learning, hence why I came on here to ask from more experienced therapists and not just do these treatments without checking.
We all have to start somewhere.

I will do more googling.

Thanks
Anna

The experience of a highly trained aesthetician, which I know isn’t a replacement for dermatology articles. But good to know of this experience if anyone is wondering

Attachments

• 39E5264C-8659-456B-9880-24171F579F3E.jpeg
    39E5264C-8659-456B-9880-24171F579F3E.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 31
Certainly a very valid and interesting question to ask. It sounds like you have ticked a lot of boxes with asking other experienced beauty therapists/or aestheticians, referred back to your training and spoke to your insurer.

I think sometimes a more poignant decision maker is to ask the device supplier and manufacturer. Do you have the manufacturer's guidelines for your high frequency and LED device?

Does the manufacturer's guidelines mention anything about clients that are nursing? Whether that be yes or no, It would be good to share this with your insurer when posing the question so they can 1) be less generic in their guidance 2) share any blanket policies they may have with that contraindication, ensuring you are firmly operating under your coverage

From discussions, it seems that the insurer wants the following:
- Training guidelines to be followed
- Manufacturer's guidelines to be followed
- Any of there own unique/blanket policies for these contraindications to be adhered to

I'm guessing if anything goes awry, I imagine the insurer would point to any of the 3 points above.

* these three points mitigate any "googling" as they are most pertinent to you and your insurance coverage and remove any ambiguity.

Thank you very much for your answer Cali-Dude. This has been very helpful and I just got off the phone to the LED manufacturer who said not to use it on breast feeding clients, even though i've read elsewhere that you can. I am now waiting to hear back from the High Frequency Company.

Im guess i'm learning there is not a one size fits all answer to these things, and to always check with the manufacturer

All the best,
Anna

Hi Anna

It’s important to consider that sometimes a treatment may be safe but that we may not be safe to do the treatment because we are exceeding our competence. Training doesn’t cover every question and Cali-dude has given great advice as to how you work through safety considerations.

I posted a link to an article that discusses light based treatments for breastfeeding women amongst other treatments. Maybe you didn’t get that far down the article? Light based treatments are discussed in more detail in level 4 training, but pigmentation in pregnancy was part of my level 3 training. Pigmentation is triggered off by light exposure, but targeted Light based treatments are potentially helpful.

Bearing in mind that pigmentation during pregnancy is very common and continues to be a problem until hormones have returned to normal, I would wonder a) whether your client has pigmentation concerns and b) whether she is booking a light based treatment to help with pigmentation. I would then worry. as she is still breastfeeding, whether her hormones have settled.

I would want to be confident that 1) my machine wouldn’t trigger off more pigmentation and 2) that it will be able to help pregnancy based pigmentation.

An unhappy or disappointed client is always bad for business so doing a treatment on someone who may not be delighted with the outcome is a risk you need to consider. I suggest you think about ways to avoid this problem.

You’ve looked at safety. Now think about efficacy. Think about the ethics of providing a treatment when you are unsure of the outcome.
Whether she has followers she can influence should not make any difference for your concern for the safety, efficacy and ethics of treatment but it makes a hell of a difference about the business decision to treat her. A recommendation could be a game changer for you but what if she isn’t happy?

Discussing your concerns with her in advance demonstrates your professionalism. If you asked what her expectations are and, if relevant, asked whether she had considered a dermatology treatment from a clinic, you would have a better understanding of what she’s after. If she just wants a relaxing facial and liked your description then great! You’ve checked out the safety with all the appropriate people (make sure you have this documented). On the other hand, if her expectations are unrealistic, based on your knowledge and understanding of your treatment, you have a chance to manage these expectations.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back