LED facial treatment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karen@latb

Reaction score
I’m thinking of adding a LED Facial Treatment. The market is full of masks for joe public at around £50, on the internet. Is it worth investing £1000 in a professional one? And if so, what do you recommend please?

Im in the same predicament. I have been looking at Dermalux LED and their products have a lot of USPs but Im unsure if they actually do a better job than the masks. A trainer on my course said that a mask would be better (than a canopy) as it wouldnt loose any light penetration or leak light due to the fact the light has to travel further. ie, if its on your face it literally goes straight to your face as opposed to travelling from a canopy to your face. Will follow this thread as im interested in responses!

I own a canopy LED and use this as an add-on to my existing facials. My clients like the canopy as it's not so claustrophobic. I also use it when I microneedle the body as it will fit around the body quite easily. I've rarely used it as a standalone LED facial. I paid £1200 for it 4 years ago. I think you can definitely get them a lot cheaper now. I love it. Apart from the initial cost of the machine it has been a moneymaker as I'm able to charge a little extra for my facials as clients feel the extra time spent under the LED is more pamper time for them and turns the facial into something more luxurious.

Okay just an update on this if anyone is interested....I have taken the plunge and purchased the Dermalux LED Canopy :)

I own a canopy LED and use this as an add-on to my existing facials. My clients like the canopy as it's not so claustrophobic. I also use it when I microneedle the body as it will fit around the body quite easily. I've rarely used it as a standalone LED facial. I paid £1200 for it 4 years ago. I think you can definitely get them a lot cheaper now. I love it. Apart from the initial cost of the machine it has been a moneymaker as I'm able to charge a little extra for my facials as clients feel the extra time spent under the LED is more pamper time for them and turns the facial into something more luxurious.
Hi Kim, I too am interested in getting an LED for adding on to facials. Can I ask which make you got? I am looking at Dermalux as it definitely looks the best, but quite a few people near me have the Flex, which was originally my first option. But having found out that there a re a few nearby, plus the trt time takes longer to get the same effect I am now considering the Compact, the only thing holding me back is that its A LOT more money!
Many thanks for any info.

Do you need training to add led light treatment to your services?

Do you need training to add led light treatment to your services?

Hi Blossom : ) ,

This is a great question! I know personally my insurer requested prior training and proof of this training.

LED light therapy was luckily covered in the curriculum when I did my esthetics training in California (where I'm from originally). This definitely made it easier to gain insurance however, as this was out of the UK, for further peace of mind I found a manufacturer (Dermalux) that does offer some manufacturer's training (albeit online).

I'm unsure if this is covered in electrical facial courses here in the UK. I imagine however, if someone's done an electrical facial course, they could do an LED day course to satisfy the insurer.

From what I've seen, insurers are more savvy that LED has gained popularity and are now asking more questions and training on this modality and potentially the specific device that you will be using...which is why this can't just be an Amazon purchase in my mind.

LED has a pretty high safety profile (Celluma sells the same technology for consumers to use at home), however I think they just see this as a way to further cash in on the popularity of this service by creating unique coverage as an add-on to your insurance plan.

Hello all, I'm new here and would appreciate an update on LED light therapy machines. What are you using and has anyone found one under £1000?? Many thanks

Hello all, I'm new here and would appreciate an update on LED light therapy machines. What are you using and has anyone found one under £1000?? Many thanks

Happy Sunday,

The answer from my side is no. I've explored a number of other manufacturer's and have found they just fall short. I am aware that Celluma sells their Celluma Lite device for £1,194 inc VAT. I think this is at a great value. I chose to go with Dermalux (which is around £1,533 inc VAT), purely as I think their flex model will be an overall more pleasant device for the administrator and guest.

The efficaciousness, is very similar between the two devices, so the tech is comparable. Again, it came down to the experience, which for the difference of £339 (incl VAT), it made it an easy decision to make.

I’m thinking of adding a LED Facial Treatment. The market is full of masks for joe public at around £50, on the internet. Is it worth investing £1000 in a professional one? And if so, what do you recommend please?

We have the Express version of the full Deesse Pro LED Face Mask, which is priced at £300+VAT. This option is proving really popular,

If you would like any more info, then let us know.

Re training. There are quite a few “orphan” electrical treatments which are not covered in an electrical facials module.

Manufacturers have covered this by offering upgrade training for appropriately qualified individuals but the problem is that it isn’t training in the treatment theory (whatever they say) it’s training in how to use their machine and sell the treatment to customers. There is no way to be certain if the “facts” given are correct and in any case it’s very hard for a manufacturer to design great training as they are not in the business of training they are in the business of selling machines.

There are level 4 training courses around although be careful because many say they are accredited but they aren’t mapped to U.K. academic framework which gives a “level” for each course.

When trying to compare courses you need to look at both the academic level and the academic credit for completing the course. Level 4 courses may be called an Award, a Certificate or a Diploma to differentiate a course with less academic credit from one that is more in depth. 120 academic credits at level 4 is equivalent to year One at Uni.

Okay just an update on this if anyone is interested....I have taken the plunge and purchased the Dermalux LED Canopy :)
How are you finding the dermalux as the two I’ve looked at were celluma and dermalux (I’m more drawn to dermalux) would be great to get your feedback. Thanks

hi can I ask if you use a face sheet mask under the led machine ?

hi can I ask if you use a face sheet mask under the led machine ?

Hey there! I would strongly suggest you don't put a face mask on a client whilst they are under an LED device. It won't be harmful, they just simply won't receive the benefits that the light offers.

Each product has varying levels of light refraction (the way it bends light), so it's best to have thoroughly cleaned and dry skin prior to placing under one of these devices.

I also like to make sure the skin is gently exfoliated with an enzyme peel.

I would suggest you go with only device producers that have FDA clearance to support their claims as many/most on the market are at the wrong wavelength and power - just blinking lights.

The only LED devices I'd consider are:
* Dermalux
* Celluma
*LightStim
*Omnilux

Latest posts

Back