LED light therapy annoyance!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JemmaBeauty

Reaction score
I've been interested in adding led light therapy to my treatments, and a company who I've previously trained with, sell a machine. Lets just say it's quite expensive, but it's in the price region that I was expecting.
I decided to have a look around and see how other companies compare. Quickly and easily I was directed to a website that sell the exact same machine for a quater of the price! How can this be? It is sold to the public and there is no mention of qualifications or training. I'm aware that the machine could be a copy but what's really bothering me are the reviews! They actually seem genuine and all 4 & 5 stars and how good the machine is.

I know it's common now a days for people to try and do their own beauty treatments with the rise of home kits popping up everwhere, but because this is a massive expense for me I don't really know what to think. I feel so disappointed and annoyed!

A lot of the time you are paying for the brand - the base technology will be much the same, but then you have to factor in the draw that a solid brand name may bring, the support they offer and the after sales support/warranty etc. Also insurance may be a premium for a treatment you've had no official training in. We have just got a high end LED machine and decided to spend the extra for the reasons above x

nuderm skincare provide a machine that offers six treatments, LED light therapy is one of the treatments in the machine, they also offer PDT light therapy mask also, and their prices are really affordable , it all depends what you want, whether its strictly light therapy or other treatments that will work great along side this x

Hello! I recently had some training with one of the bigger led light therapy companies and they explain the difference with more expensive machines having more led bulbs that are programmed to reach a specific depth into the skin to target specific skin concerns such as acne or anti aging. The smaller machines that can be sold to the public have less bulbs (such as the masks that sit on top of your face)
I would definitely recommend going with a company where they don't sell the same equipment to the public though. As a therapist I'm sure you'll agree that the quality of products us professionals use compared to what clients can buy in the highstreet are worlds apart! Hope this helps! :)

LED / PDT therapy is a great stand alone treatment or when used in conjunction with other treatment can be amazing for skin, the prices set by the UK companies are extraordinary high, most of these machines/Masks are imported and the mark up is terrifying, after all they are in business like the rest of us, we supply masks to the beauty industry for a fraction of the price of the larger companies, being new on here i hope I am not breaking any rules, please delete if i am and offer my appologies

Attachments

• rBVaI1i2mP-AJyJpAACCJeXkhT8266.jpg
    rBVaI1i2mP-AJyJpAACCJeXkhT8266.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 248
LED / PDT therapy is a great stand alone treatment or when used in conjunction with other treatment can be amazing for skin, the prices set by the UK companies are extraordinary high, most of these machines/Masks are imported and the mark up is terrifying, after all they are in business like the rest of us, we supply masks to the beauty industry for a fraction of the price of the larger companies, being new on here i hope I am not breaking any rules, please delete if i am and offer my appologies
Hi Pybo, what is the web site you have for theses masks, im interested, xxx

I would really suggest you try a mask before you buy one - I was convinced that was what I was going to buy for my place until I tried one - they are quite claustrophobic and heavy. I'm not usually fussed by that stuff but really didn't like it, so I imagine some clients may not either. I ended up with the more expensive canopy style with a built in fan, which can be used on the body too so it's more versatile as well

We can also supply the canopy style led lights - I am unsure as to why it would have a built in fan as led therapy has no heat attached to it at all.
We are in the process if building a website at present and will let you know asap we could send all the information in an email if you would like to know more

I have worked a lot with LED and use it in my salon. You need to have clinically proven LED at the correct nanometers (nm) or it's just guesswork. You also need your machine to be calibrated to ensure the nm don't 'stray' and stay true.
A good machine that works effectively isn't cheap. All led is not the same.

Vic x

We can also supply the canopy style led lights - I am unsure as to why it would have a built in fan as led therapy has no heat attached to it at all.
We are in the process if building a website at present and will let you know asap we could send all the information in an email if you would like to know more
Hi can you please send me some information

Frequency of LED Lights
By Samuel Markings; Updated April 25, 2017
87588624.jpg

Light Emitting Diodes are electrical components that are used in a variety of applications to emit electromagnetic radiation by a process known as electroluminescence. The color that is emitted by the LED is dependent upon its frequency within the electromagnetic spectrum. Today there are a wide variety of frequencies that LED devices operate at.

RED LED DEVICES
Red LED devices operate at a wavelength of approximately 633 nm. The following equation can be used to determine the frequency of a LED device:

Frequency = speed of light / wavelength = (3 x 10^8) / (633 x 10^-9)

Carrying out this calculation leads to a frequency of 474 Terra-Hertz, which places it in the red region of the visible electromagnetic spectrum. Practical red LED devices were first invented in 1962 by Professor Nick Holonyak from the University of Illinois. Red LED devices are based upon the material indium gallium aluminum phosphide and are still used in a variety of technological industries.

BLUE LED DEVICES
Blue LED devices were first invented by former Nichia scientist Shuji Nakamura in 1993. These devices operate at a wavelength of approximately 470 nm, therefore:

Frequency = speed of light / wavelength = (3 x 10^8 ) / (470 x 10^-9)

Completing the calculation leads to a frequency of approximately 638 Terra-Hertz. Modern blue LEDs are based upon the materials silicon carbide and gallium nitride, and are now cheap enough to be used in everyday electrical appliances.

GREEN LED DEVICES
Green LED devices were first realized in 2010 by scientists working at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory. These devices operate at a wavelength of approximately 560 nm and there have a frequency:

frequency = speed of light / wavelength = (3 x 10^8 ) / (560 x 10^-9)

Carrying out this calculation leads to a frequency of 535 Terra-Hertz. The final invention of green LED devices paved the way for the creation of white LED light sources.

WHITE LED DEVICES
White light consists of individual red, blue and green components and hence does not consist of a single wavelength or frequency. White LED devices have a mixture of the frequencies 474 Terra-Hertz, 535 Terra-Hertz and 638 Terra-Hertz. The development of white LED devices has led to the possibility of cheap, energy efficient lighting that can be used in a variety of settings, from street lamps to desk lights.

The Wavelengths of Red Light Therapy
Red light therapy uses wavelengths of light roughly between 620 nm and 700 nm. Popular wavelengths used in research and in-home products are 630 nm and 660 nm. Regardless of claims of only “specific wavelengths” being effective, the whole range of visible red light wavelengths are effective and beneficial. In fact, many devices today are including two or three of them instead of just one.

red-light-wavelengths.jpg

anti aging, acne and rosacea treatment. What’s so special about it? Red LED light therapy is red light therapy, just using an LED light source instead of incandescent, fluorescent, or laser. But red LED light therapy does have some unique benefits of its own.

LEDs were NASA’s choice for red light therapy when it brought the technique into space around the year 2000. They chose this technology for its low energy requirements, as well as its low heat emission and light weight.

Those same qualities made later research more accurate, and, to date, hundreds of studies from around the world have shown the benefits of red light therapy in the fields of anti aging, healing and pain relief.

However, the only clinically proven nanometers are red led at 633nm, blue led at 415nm and Near Infra Red at 830nm. There is no clinical evidence that any other light sources and colours, such as green or yellow, affect the skin. Outside of these nm will have an effect but it will take longer to target the chromophore x

I have worked a lot with LED and use it in my salon. You need to have clinically proven LED at the correct nanometers (nm) or it's just guesswork. You also need your machine to be calibrated to ensure the nm don't 'stray' and stay true.
A good machine that works effectively isn't cheap. All led is not the same.

Vic x
We supply one of the big brand names and cannot agree more with squidgernetball X

We supply one of the big brand names and cannot agree more with squidgernetball X
Hi, i would be very interested to see the scientific evidence that points to the fact that LED lights have to be calibrated and clinically proven to ensure they do not, "stray," and stay true,

Hi, i would be very interested to see the scientific evidence that points to the fact that LED lights have to be calibrated and clinically proven to ensure they do not, "stray," and stay true,
If the clinical research confirms that the effective nm are 633nm, 830nm and 415nm, then for the best results, you would want to be sure that's what you're delivering.

LED doesn't HAVE to be calibrated. If you want to deliver an LED treatment, you can use any number of masks and machines. Some masks have a whopping 100 lights that just change colour and therapists think that's ok. It's fine if you just want to be able to offer LED. I wanted to offer the best LED on the market. I wanted to be sure that my machine was doing what I want it to and that's offering the correct nm in any combination I want through 1600 LED bulbs that are shaped and mounted for maximum efficacy. They are colour specific to ensure they do what they're meant to. At the end of the day I'm guessing you're selling something and I'm not. I'm a therapist who has done a lot of research into effective led treatments, and for me, offering results driven facials to high end clientele meant offering them the best out there., not just some pretty lights.

Vicki x

If the clinical research confirms that the effective nm are 633nm, 830nm and 415nm, then for the best results, you would want to be sure that's what you're delivering.

LED doesn't HAVE to be calibrated. If you want to deliver an LED treatment, you can use any number of masks and machines. Some masks have a whopping 100 lights that just change colour and therapists think that's ok. It's fine if you just want to be able to offer LED. I wanted to offer the best LED on the market. I wanted to be sure that my machine was doing what I want it to and that's offering the correct nm in any combination I want through 1600 LED bulbs that are shaped and mounted for maximum efficacy. They are colour specific to ensure they do what they're meant to. At the end of the day I'm guessing you're selling something and I'm not. I'm a therapist who has done a lot of research into effective led treatments, and for me, offering results driven facials to high end clientele meant offering them the best out there., not just some pretty lights.

Vicki x
Vicki, i am a nurse practitioner and prescriber and do nothing with out evidenced based practice which is why i have asked for clinical research regarding the statements that have been made, also before i was a nurse i was an engineer for 18 years, i worked with LED lights in thier infancy and know about light spectrums and how they work, also the fact that a red LED is in the spectrum required otherwise the colour would not be red as its the colour that dictates the nm, an LED is a light emitting diode that is connected to a power supply,

What determines the color of an LED?
The material used in the semiconducting element of an LED determines its color. The two main types of LEDs presently used for lighting systems are aluminum gallium indium phosphide (AlGaInP, sometimes rearranged as AlInGaP) alloys for red, orange and yellow LEDs; and indium gallium nitride (InGaN) alloys for green, blue and white LEDs. Slight changes in the composition of these alloys changes the color of the emitted light.
http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/nlpip/lightinganswers/led/color.asp

Anti-Aging Effects for Skin and Hair Loss

One use of red light laser therapy that’s growing in popularity is reversing signs of ageing on the skin (i.e, wrinkles and fine lines). Results from a 2014 study published in Photomedicine and Laser Surgery demonstrated both efficacy and safety for red light therapy in promoting anti-aging skin rejuvenation and intradermal collagen increase when compared against controls. (7) Researchers concluded that red infrared therapy “provides a safe, non-ablative, non-thermal, atraumatic photobiomodulation treatment of skin tissue with high patient satisfaction rates.”

Subjects treated with red light therapy experienced significantly improved skin complexion, improved skin tone, improved texture/feeling, reduced skin roughness, reduced signs of wrinkles and fine lines, and increased collagen density as measured through ultrasonographic tests. Patients with Roscea and redness have also found relief using LLLT, even those who are unable to tolerate higher-heat laser therapies.

Yet another anti-aging effect of red light therapy is reversing hair loss and stimulating follicle growth, which works in many of the same ways as red light therapy for wound healing. Results have been mixed according to studies, but at least a moderate portion of both male and female patients have had positive results for reversing baldness/hair loss when using LLLT. (8)
https://draxe.com/red-light-therapy/lightspectrum.jpg

I can not find any evidence where the lights need to be calibrated in any way shape or form, that's why I am asking, as i said i deal in looking at hard evidence and being able to produce that evidence to back up my treatments, as i want to bring the best to my patients as i would if i was still working in Accident and Emergency department or a Walk In Centre, from what i can find its the colour that the light emits dictates the nm it works in

regards

Hi Pybo I'm interested in information too. Could you pm me pls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back