LED lighting and curing gel polishes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airey fairy

Reaction score
Ok so please don't laugh.... We have a new salon opening and have taken on OPI Gel Color and CND Shellac aswell as other prestigious brands .... I am slightly worried due to the lighting within the salon.... It is all LED including the nail desks they have slimline chic LED lights fitted into the desks .... How do I store the gel polishes in particularly worried about Gel Color however there have been rumours that CND are bringing out the shellac to be curable under LED we have bought all new stock from S2 and in thinking because of the change in consistency of some of the colours that has already been notices and mentioned on here before they could possibly be LED curable obv I'm not going to test this out without S2's say so before hand ... Back to it how the heck am I going to store the polishes do I A keep them in a cupboard this is not great but will this be enough or do I risk it by having them on display .... Any input is much appreciated as I am flumped on what to do as it needs to be right I canne have stock curing in bottles can I 👎👎think of the wonga that'll waste 😩😩😩😩 mucho thanks in advance geeks x x

It is important to understand that LED (light-emitting diodes) is not a type of light, it is a type of bulb and the ones in nail lamps give off a very specific light. Both traditional Compact Fluorescent Lamps, CFL-UV lamps and newer LED-UV lamps give off the same type of light - UV light. UV light is light in the 100-400nm range. Traditional CFL-UV lamps give off UV light in the 300-400 nm range, which is not visible (the light you see from your lamp is not the UV light), and LED-UV lamps give off light in the 370-400 range. The LED light in a regular lamp fixture does not give off UV; it gives off visible light in the 400-800 nm range. So your household LED light should not cure your gel polish. That said, you should protect your gel polish from light, especially sunlight coming through your windows as people have often found that it can cure the gel polish even as it is being applied.

In addition to what NancySyd has said, I would add that florescent strip lights also give off UV light in the 400nm range so can cure LED gels. This should not be a problem for gel polishes as the neck of the bottle is small. It's more of a problem for LED hard gels where the jar opening is much bigger - then it is a good idea to replace the lid during use.

Thanks for clearing this up .... I will triple check with the sparkie on site that it's just LED lamps that is just used throughout the salon and not LED/UV I doubt it will be LED/UV as it hasn't got that blue/ purple tone to it as far as I've seen... 😂 we don't have any natural light at all within the salon due to us being in the middle of a mall 👍👍so no worries there but before now i've had to store them in a cupboard due to them being on display in a south facing front glasses salon .. We lost a couple of colours before we realised what was going on 👍👍👍every day is a school day

Latest posts

Back