Legal requirement to patch test wax 24 hours before an appointment?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButterflyQ

Reaction score
Hi there,

A salon in my local area has recently started doing patch tests for all waxing treatments at least 24 hours before the client's first treatment with them, just like we all have to with tinting, lash lifts, and eyelash extensions now.
Is this something anyone else does? To my knowledge it is not a legal requirement (yet). Soon we will be patch testing them for everything by the sounds of it!

Thanks in advance!
xx

It’s not about whether it’s a legal requirement or not but whether it’s a requirement of your insurance. If they state you need to then you’ll have to do it. Or your insurance may state that you have to follow manufacturers instructions, so if they state 24 hour testing then you’ll have to it.

I'm sure that I read that one of the new wax brands ask you to patch test before every appointment.

Yeah i patch test. I do it on the inner wrist where there’s no hair. It’s not a requirement of my insurance i just think it’s professional practice. When a new client joins me for any service I do every patch test then. Lash glue tint wax all at once and give the client a card saying what is where and to text if anything reacts.

How do you patch test for wax??? I am not yet qualified in waxing, just curious!

Just put a little blob of wax on the inner wrist or elbow. One strip one hot wax. The write on a card name adress mobile and the brand of wax and where it was placed and what reaction.

The only legal requirement is for you to patch test for heat, which you do on your own wrist before starting and then do the same for he client and ask them if it’s ok.

I have seen 3 people that told me they have an allergy to wax in the past 7 yrs... they tend to know about it because they are allergic to plasters, beeswax (cera alba), citrus, latex, pine resins...

However the reactions they get are usually lots of bumps, much like a regular wax side effect but a lot more uncomfortable, bumpier and swollen.

So your consult form should cover allergies so there should be nothing to worry about unless the client specifically expresses a similar allergy or tells you they are hypersensitive in which case maybe a bit on your website to say ‘if you believe you have sensitive skin please request a patch test for all treatments’

Of course the decision lies with you but if the salon near you is doing it every time I’m inclined to think maybe they’ve been stung by someone claiming on insurance for it previously and are trying to avoid it again.

Latest posts

Back