Legal requirements of working from home?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewMoonLV

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to all this working for myself business, I don't really know what I'm doing to be honest. Basically I'm a qualified complementary therapist, I qualified 5 years ago but have never had any employment from it. I'm ready to start setting up as a sole trader, I've applied for a tax assessment, spent hours researching ways to promote my buisness and I've just applied for insurance. I was feeling great, then I excitedly told my partner that I've just applied for insurance for him to tell me that I can't work from home without landlords permission and "you haven't even got any customers anyway"... bubble...POP. I will show him!!! So after some googleing online....

Can anyone tell me, how do I get permission from landlord?

Do I need to also apply to the council and how do I do this?

Does anyone on here work from home (specifically in a block of flats/apartments)? And what legal steps did you need to take?

Thank you

Sam.

Not wanting to be negative - I’d be very surprised if your landlord gave permission....
As a landlord myself, I know my building insurance would not cover this.

I agree with Red Star. Check your lease for terms regarding the running of a business from your property, that could clear up whether it's even worth contacting the landlord.

Thank you for replying. Any advice on what I could do instead of working from home? I can't afford to rent a building/shop and I don't drive so can't go mobile.

Thank you for replying. Any advice on what I could do instead of working from home? I can't afford to rent a building/shop and I don't drive so can't go mobile.
Contact some salons locally and see if they have any vacancies?

Some salons or physiotherapists may have odd days that you could rent a room from them??. Daily rate will be better than weekly rates. Obviously you need to source your own clients .
Developing a good rapport with them , by offering taster sessions will help you to gain some of their clients/ patients.
In my area :-
A local beauty salon rents out a room once a week for reflexology treatments , ear candles,
A local physiotherapy clinic rents out a room for alternative therapies, complimenting what they offer.
A possibility is with you GP surgery - There are some more forward thinking surgerys including complimentary therapies now.
I wish I could help you more.
Good luck

Also, try your local gym or even high street shops in case anyone has a spare room that they’re willing to rent out.

Thank you RosieR and AcidPerm, they are brilliant suggestions. I will be doing some googleing today and looking into them ideas. Thank you so much for helping.

Latest posts

Back