Length of time between bleaching so I don't damage my hair.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Zoe*

Reaction score
Hi I'm a beauty geek just coming over to ask a question. I can't get on to the 'client' forum on the SG app so please feel free to move my post :)

I'm going back blonde after dying my hair brown for a few months (big mistake!). My hairdresser is obviously doing is gradually by highlights.

I've had 3 full head of highlights and my hair does feel a but dry and damaged. To speed up things I've had my highlights 2 weeks apart and my hair dresser says I can now have a full head colour next time.

Is having appointments 2 weeks apart too close? Am I damaging my hair by doing it to quickly, and should I more time between appointments or does it not matter if I am going to do it eventually? I'm about to book in for my full head cover, but something is telling me I should give my hair more time to recover, or I am just being silly?

Thanks for your advise.

Burnt hair isn't like burnt skin - one is dead and the other is alive.

If you burn someone with wax, waiting for the skin to repair itself is a good idea.

If your hair is burnt with colour it will be burnt forever unless you apply products to help repair it. Your hair cannot repair itself and a wait of 2 days or 2 months makes no difference to the eventual outcome of further treatments unless you are using amazing products (which build up inside the hair to 'plug the gaps' so to speak).

Also, I can't understand hairdressers who "do it gradually with highlights" when trying to lighten a base colour that has gone too dark. What you now have is coloured hair (that was a bit knackered to begin with) mixed with lots of pre-lightened hair strands inbetween. How will your hairdresser pick out just the dark strands to lighten them whilst applying no more lightener to the already pre-lightened pieces? I'd say it's impossible and you should expect some breakage especially around the crown and the front hairline - if it doesn't show up straight away you can expect it around week 3 or 4 after the colour is done.

Your best case scenario right now is to ask her to pick out your "remaining lowlights" and lighten those (i.e. another set of highlights). I wouldn't advise an all over colour at all ... not if you like the condition of your hair or it's thickness.

Sorry to be so glum!

Latest posts

Back