Let's talk Brisa

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinkyboots33

Reaction score
Ok guys, Im newly qualified, done a set on my daughter the other day. My first issue was the gel coming away frm the tip but i think it was dur to not removing shine from the tip... My next fault would have to be the apex, just can get a decent one :mad: any tips or tricks frm the pros would be fab :hug:

here is a link to the fingernail fixer's vid on working with Brisa. She shows you how to manipulate the gel easier which should help you with placing your apex.

Working with Brisa Gel - YouTube

Hi hun

When I started, I had trouble with dips and such in the gel. And found I was not floating lightly enough over the gel. The key is to put your bead in the centre, and hover over it lightly pushing up towards the cuticle. Then lightly hover over the top of the bead and taking a very small majority of it, leaving most of it in the centre and just tease it down towards and over the free edge! This will level out nicely, causing no bumps and leaves a lovely apex!

So basically, the lighter the touch on the gel, the better it levels!

To make even more of an apex (if there is a dip or you wanta better arch....get a string and just go across the centre of the nail and let it level

thanks guys, think im a bit heavy handed tbh... wish me luck for my set tomorrow! :confused:

I absolutely adore working with Brisa but my technique is a little different and it produces a central vertical apex as opposed to just a thicker area in zone 2. A central vertical apex makes a stronger better balanced and more beautiful enhancement in my humble opinion. Here is how I do it.

I pick up a large enough amount of Brisa gel on my brush to place a 'log' (for want of a better word :lol:) right down the centre of the nail from eponychium to the free edge. Using that log as my reservoir, I tease the gel from the centre to the side wall on the left working my way right down to the free edge ... Then I do the same thing on the right side. This gives the nail a beautiful strong 'backbone' and a beautiful curvature all in one go. No need to 'place' an apex as the backbone is a solid apex which never gets displaced by the growth of the nail. I build this type of apex using all systems.

Last edited:
thanks guys, think im a bit heavy handed tbh... wish me luck for my set tomorrow! :confused:

You will get it eventually. Like I said, took me a little while. But it makes it all the more satisfying when you do get it right. Bead/Log however each of us nail techs call it, you just need to place that nice amount of bulk gel in the middle and keep most of it there and work around it.

Good luck with it hun!!!

There are more ways than one to do things .. More efficient ways .. Easier ways ... Different ways. They actually do not all add up to the same thing or produce the same structure, look or strength or even longevity.

I hope that by pointing out/teaching an alternative method it will add versatility to everyone's work and, for those who are interested in becoming a real nail artist, that it will increase your skill set. Try it and see ! Enjoy your day, have fun and keep improving.

Great thread :) I'm currently working towards my conversion certificate in Brisa and found this really helpful :)

good luck :)

Thanks guys! she's in at 10, lovely lady so i know she wont shout if they arent top notch, also... im charging half price till i get more confident - you think thats fair?

I absolutely adore working with Brisa but my technique is a little different and it produces a central vertical apex as opposed to just a thicker area in zone 2. A central vertical apex makes a stronger better balanced and more beautiful enhancement in my humble opinion. Here is how I do it.

I pick up a large enough amount of Brisa gel on my brush to place a 'log' (for want of a better word :lol:) right down the centre of the nail from eponychium to the free edge. Using that log as my reservoir, I tease the gel from the centre to the side wall on the left working my way right down to the free edge ... Then I do the same thing on the right side. This gives the nail a beautiful strong 'backbone' and a beautiful curvature all in one go. No need to 'place' an apex as the backbone is a solid apex which never gets displaced by the growth of the nail. I build this type of apex using all systems.

Thanks so much for that, it does make sense to do it that way, doesnt it :hug: Im sooo glad I read this before she comes :lol: just getting organised so will let you's all know how it goes, would take a pic but not sure how to upload fm my phone to here?

I would love to see a video of you doing that Gigi, is there such a thing?

I would love to see a video of you doing that Gigi, is there such a thing?

In a word ... no. I've demoed it about a gazillion times live at shows and in classes though :green: .. I need to have lessons from Holly re the videos!! I have no idea how to do a video.

Kinky, I use the 'log' method (I use IBD hard gel) and it works a treat!

Hello
I’ve read Geeg’s log method before and found it better than all I ever tried before. Nowadays I only “ logging” with the log method I work faster, create stronger nails and rebalancing is ever so much easier and quicker ..But I don’t work with Brisa…

Right.... the end result looked better and my client said they felt stronger. Im ok with prep and tips, just need practice with owning the gel (i think) but my finishing is taking me AGES! prob about 1/1.5hrs :irked: Im using the blizzard and boomerang - any tips would be fab!

Your finishing is taking you ages because you are correcting shape and form issues and sculpting the nail with your file.

Once you 'own' the gel, as you nicely put it, and you start sculpting the finished nail with your brush .... You will find there is very little to do with the file.

Good job today and a little more learned!

It alll takes time and each time will get better. Cram in as many sets as you possibly can and it won't take long to master it. :hug:

just like Geeg said...once you get better at sculpting the nail shape with the gel you'll find all you have to do with the file is a quick smooth over. Sounds like you and the client were happy and that's all that matters. You'll get better every set you do :)

Yep, Brisa is really easy once you get to grips with it. Levels beautifully. I only need to go over it quickly with the Boomerang, as you do most of it by shaping with your brush.

I found with some other gels, they didn't settle as nicely as Brisa. We sure have a nice gel to work with

In a word ... no. I've demoed it about a gazillion times live at shows and in classes though :green: .. I need to have lessons from Holly re the videos!! I have no idea how to do a video.

Hi Gigi,

How do you use the log technique when sculpting the white? Or do you sculpt with the pink and then use the paint on white?

Latest posts

Back