Letters after your name?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louisa.e

Reaction score
I qualified in Beauty therapy in the 80’s . We were told to put Msbth after our names (Member of the society of Beauty therapists) I haven’t used this title for many years and wondered if it was still relevant.

I've never seen/heard of it. As there is no official body I find it hard to justify using any letters.

If you are a member of the guild you can put MGBT after your name

I qualified with International health and Beauty council and City and guilds Beauty therapy. We were told we were Members if the society of beauty therapists ( Msbth was on our badge) I’d be interested to know if anyone else did this qualification. I qualified in 1985 and I’m still going strong!

I qualified with International health and Beauty council and City and guilds Beauty therapy. We were told we were Members if the society of beauty therapists ( Msbth was on our badge) I’d be interested to know if anyone else did this qualification. I qualified in 1985 and I’m still going strong!
Yes, I did both of these! My college put you in for every blinking exam board they possibly could! Of course NVQs & VRQs didn't exist then.
I qualified in 1989, so been in beauty for 30 years now and still going full time. :eek:

Me too, I am also such an oldie. I think my other badge is the "Society of beauty Therapists" A gorgeous badge , proud to have worn it but I have used the Initials on my price list because it is a confirmation of my professional staus. Yes it was 1983 and then 1985. such an age ago !!!

I’m glad we are all still going. The good thing is that your clients get older with you!! Yes that’s what was on the badge, I’ve lost mine.

Definitely display those letters. It sets you apart from the One Day Wonders.

If you have an ITEC it’s quite normal to put Name ITEC Dip. You can then add anything else..I just stick to that though as it sounds pompous to add that I have ITEC Dip x 2 + 13 etc Babtac Cert I just took all my certs off the wall as they took up the whole thing and still had more in drawer. Looks so goody goody.

... I just took all my certs off the wall as they took up the whole thing and still had more in drawer. Looks so goody goody.

Really? is education something to be despised?

Really? is education something to be despised?

Lol, no but I get fed up of people being nasty and it doesn’t all fit in my Instagram profile :pI have it all listed on my website though. Probably going to get a display folder.

If you have an ITEC it’s quite normal to put Name ITEC Dip. You can then add anything else..I just stick to that though as it sounds pompous to add that I have ITEC Dip x 2 + 13 etc Babtac Cert I just took all my certs off the wall as they took up the whole thing and still had more in drawer. Looks so goody goody.

I don't think it looks "goody-goody" to display your certs and note your qualifications. And I definitely don't know why anyone would be nasty about it? It means that clients can clearly see that you're professional and well-qualified (and well established, given how old some of mine are ;) ) and, as someone's already said, you stand out from the one-day / online course therapists. I'm really proud of my education and how hard I worked to get where I am. I've never put letters after my name though. I don't really 'get' it in any profession.

Hi Louisa.e
A trip down memory lane for you. These are my badges from the International Health and Beauty council from 1983 onwards. I loved wearing mine ,but i don't wear them any more sadly.
ihbc badge.JPG

I've been to some salons /therapists where the wall is plastered with certificates for all sorts of things and I think that is just way over the top. I think its the same with letters after your name.
If you want to just stick with one set of letters, I would suggest your highest relevant qualification or membership. Most people don't even know what they mean any way.

Hazel Andrews Lic Ac, MAcS, ITEC MCAUK, BABTAC, BEng ;)

Hi Louisa.e
A trip down memory lane for you. These are my badges from the International Health and Beauty council from 1983 onwards. I loved wearing mine ,but i don't wear them any more sadly.View attachment 209594
Hi Louisa.e
A trip down memory lane for you. These are my badges from the International Health and Beauty council from 1983 onwards. I loved wearing mine ,but i don't wear them any more sadly.View attachment 209594
I've been to some salons /therapists where the wall is plastered with certificates for all sorts of things and I think that is just way over the top. I think its the same with letters after your name.
If you want to just stick with one set of letters, I would suggest your highest relevant qualification or membership. Most people don't even know what they mean any way.

Hazel Andrews Lic Ac, MAcS, ITEC MCAUK, BABTAC, BEng ;)

Yes that is a trip down memory lane! I’m impressed you’ve still got all of them!
I think it’s right to display your main qualification certificate so people can see you are properly qualified.

I am hoping to work from home for the last part of my career as my business partner is retiring.
Does anyone have any experience of applying for a license for home premises.
In my borough you have to pay up front before you even know if your premises are going to be suitable.

Hi @Louisa.e,
I personally have never heard of that term being used before, but granted, I am new to the salon business. However, if it is still a thing and you do know of other salons that use it, then I would recommend for you to use it, if not, then that is also fine; it's not as if that can make or break a business. Furthermore, if you have any questions regarding marketing or your business itself, then feel free to reply. Good luck!

I’m City and Guilds and was told simply CGLI could go after our name to show our qualification. And as said above, if you’re a member of the Beauty Guild you can put MGBT and MGNT if nail technician.

I have all relevant certificates (just for the stuff I practice plus my Teaching Cert) on my wall and I’ve had enough clients look at them and ask questions out of interest for me to know they are worth being there.

On the whole nobody asks if you’re qualified but unlike other professions (Dentistry, Doctor, Nurse) where there’s a Formal process/Body to get to that stage and so no need for people to ask, in Beauty there isn’t.

People can go without any qualification in beauty nowadays and go do a one or two day course in something.

People still like to know the person is qualified and experienced and by showing your qualifications be it a badge or on a wall just makes clients quietly confident in you without the need for them to ask or for you to say anything.

Last edited:
I am hoping to work from home for the last part of my career as my business partner is retiring.
Does anyone have any experience of applying for a license for home premises.
In my borough you have to pay up front before you even know if your premises are going to be suitable.

I work from home. I have a room downstairs dedicated to it. I emailed the council and was told I needed no licence for the type of services I was providing. I also told my mortgage people, they also said there was nothing I needed to do, that they’d note it down but because I wasn’t making any adjustments to the room itself and it was just a small part of the house overall ie: the main use of the house remained to be the family home, then I was good to go. But I’ve heard all councils and mortgage companies differ greatly.

Latest posts

Back