Level 2 hair student looking for help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairstudent1979

Reaction score
Hi all,

Happy Easter!

I am studying level 2 women's hairdressing and I have a assignment on cutting, and I could ready do with some help and advice from you knowledgeable people

here's the brief:

Task A

state why the following factors should be considered before carrying out a cutting service:

• Hair texture and density
  • Hair type
  • Elasticity
  • Head and face shape
  • Hair growth patterns
  • Contra-indications
Task b Produce a style guide

Candidates are required to produce a style guide, for each of the following looks:

• One length
  • Uniform layer
  • Short graduation
  • Long graduation
To complete this guide, the candidates are required to:

• State the cutting angles used to achieve each look
  • State how the guideline was achieved
  • Describe the techniques used to achieve each look
  • State the tools used to achieve each look, and maintenance requirements.
  • State the importance of cross checking the cut
  • State the importance of applying the correct degree of tension to the hair when cutting
Task c Answer all of the following questions

• Describe the different consultation techniques used to identify service objectives
  • Describe the salon’s requirement for preparing yourself, the client and work area
  • Describe a range of looks for women
  • Describe the correct use and routine maintenance of cutting tools and equipment
  • State how to communicate and behave within a salon environment

Which parts are you looking for help in specifically?

I would say start with task C simply because consultation and preparation of tools etc comes before carrying out any services so having a solid understanding in that area first would probably help you flow into the other tasks.

If you have any specific questions shoot away.

There is loads of amazing educational content on YouTube on Instagram which you can check out.

Happy Easter!

Do you have suitable level 2 textbook? That will answer all your questions.

Which parts are you looking for help in specifically?

I would say start with task C simply because consultation and preparation of tools etc comes before carrying out any services so having a solid understanding in that area first would probably help you flow into the other tasks.

If you have any specific questions shoot away.

There is loads of amazing educational content on YouTube on Instagram which you can check out.

Happy Easter!

Hi

I've now done Task C and I could do with some help with Task A or pointing in the right direction of info to help me.

Thanks

Do you have suitable level 2 textbook? That will answer all your questions.

unfortunately my testbook is in my locker at college, :(
so I'm looking stuff up on the internet and asking people

Task A is asking you to consider the influencing factors when cutting hair. These are the factors that will help you decide what direction the service needs to take, what tools you will need to use, products you will be using and whether or not the service is safe to carry out and realistic.

I would always start with contraindications as these are things that can put a stop to the service straight away. Contraindications include things such as head lice and should really be identified before you gown the client up or shampoo them.

Hair texture, density, hair type and elasticity will help you decide whether or not the style is achievable and what tools and styling products you might use. Have a look online at the different hair types and textures etc and think about how each hair classification will need treating differently and how this might guide your service. For example you wouldn’t want to hack out a bunch of weight with a razor on very fine low density hair. This can really be identified within about 10 seconds you just need to get your hands and comb into the hair and look at the growth etc round the hair line especially. I think most of this becomes common sense. The only one I have found the apprentices I have worked with to ALWAYS ask questions on is why do we check elasticity when cutting hair, isn’t that just for colour? My answer to that is simply you can check the strength of the hair and quickly determine what shampoo you would like to use. Do they need a treatment or take home product that will help re build strength for example. Yes you can check this once they are at the back wash and you have wet their hair but then you have run out of time and the proper opportunity to advise the client a strengthening treatment. It’s better to check and be able to show the client at the section rather than make them feel pressured at the back wash or just ignore the issue.

Head shape will really determine whether the cut will complement the face. Ideally you want to make the face “oval looking” for example you wouldn’t want to cut in and blow dry lots of volume into the side on a client who has a wider face. You also wouldn’t want to put a round shape on a very round face. Have a look at face shapes and just try and identify the difference in face shapes. A lot of the time a haircut can be executed perfectly in a technical sense but still look bad as it just really isn’t working with the face and head shape. Clients can be adamant about certain haircuts and then be hugely disappointed after as it just doesn’t work for them. This is your opportunity to steer your client away from “problematic” styles and into styles that would work better. Also think can they manage this at home? Will they have the time to style it? That’s your lifestyle aspect.

Get onto YouTube and look at educators such as Sam Villa, free salon education, google influencing factors in hair cutting, head shapes....even if you haven’t learnt some of the haircuts these guys are showing it doesn’t matter it is exposure to watching techniques and seeing what works on which clients. There really is LOADS of stuff out there that will be able to help you. Give it all a try, even if you don’t quite understand, it doesn’t matter it will help.

Latest posts

Back