Level 2 VRQ

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twiiigg

Reaction score
I know there are currently a fair few threads on this topic, but i am getting concerned!

I'm currently studying Level 2 VRQ at college in hair. No colleges in my area seem to be doing NVQs anymore, and apprentices are hard to come by, especially as at 22 i am slightly older than most.

I have heard that some students who have completed VRQ Level 3 are struggling to be employed. Are we at a disadvantage due to having an VRQ qualification rather that an NVQ?

I am starting to worry i will not be able to find employment after finishing level 3, and this course is faily costly for me as i do not receive any funding due to having a uni qualification. I have even heard that in order to find employment, some VRQ students are having to retrain at salons with an NVQ... this i do NOT want to have to do. Those of you who are trained professionals who have been working in the business... would you employ those who have VRQ qualifications?

If you get an interview show them what you can do. Say you will go in on a day trial unpaid. Take you portfolio. I went to a hairdressers the other week, got my hair cut by the director of a salon and she was crap. 25 years she had been doing hairdressing and I can cut hair better than that. :biggrin:

I don't think it's the qualification as much as the experience that potential employers would look at. I completed the vrq 2 years ago and there is no way I'd be able to go and get a job in a salon as I'm just not experienced enough. After this baby is born in September I have made arrangments to volunteer in a salon and basically start an apprentaship, I'll be getting the experience and training of an nvq but not actually the qualification iykwim :|

Out of the 20 odd people who qualified in my class only 1 is hairdressing now and she worked in a salon through college on a Saturday to get experience.

I know this doesn't exactly answer your question but thought I'd give my experience.

Latest posts

Back