Level 3 nail tech

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Can someone please give me some information about the different levels of nail techs. And how do you get the certification

I trained with nail harmony UK(Gelish) there are different courses for different qualifications (acrylic or gel application for example). Some courses are 1 day, others run over 3 days. Once you’ve completed the days & your work is okay, you’re then fully qualified. Hope that helps.

have you ever heard such a thing as a medical nail tech.. im interested in this but cant find any info

I did level 2 VTCT and looked through the contents of the level 3 but decided against it as it seemed to cover pretty much the same ground... More of the same so to speak. Both take a good few weeks to complete and both have practical and written exams.

I wanted a VTCT or NVQ because it's a nationally recognised qualification that isn't tied to any particular product and at the time I was undecided about what brand I would eventually settle on but wanted to be certain of a good foundation.

I decided to invest the money it would have cost to get my level three in product based training instead, with Hazel Dixon for my efile certificate, Bio Sculpture and Wilde Pedique Silver Plus toenail reconstruction with the sadly departed BCI. This filled a gap (efile is not covered in VCTC) and qualified me for the brands I eventually chose. Had I spent my remaining training budget on doing level 3 I would have been scuppered![emoji54]

I reckon nail reconstruction is about as close to medical as I would like to get, beyond that I think you would need to consider a podiatry qualification. Fingernail conditions are usually dealt with by GP's.

When you say level 2 VTCT and NVQ what does that mean. Im sorry im just new to all this

Vtct, itec, city & guilds and Pearson (edexcel) are all exam boards who issue the qualification certificates.
Nvq, vrq, Btec are all types of courses.

So for example you might go to college to do a level 2 vrq in beauty under vtct.

Lol, it sounds confusing!

CFBS is giving you examples of VOCATIONAL qualifications. They generally take longer to complete, cover a whole range of related topics and are universally recognised in the industry by all brands, insurers and employers. This is what I went for so I get to fast track through other training and/or gain immediate access to most pro only suppliers.

Then you can get Academy training which will get you a certificate issued by the particular academy you attended which is usually supported by one or another insurer who you can then get insurance with. These may or may not be considered proof of your training standard by different brands, so you might still have to undertake their full training from scratch when you decide to work with their products.

Alternatively if you are only interested in offering a particular brand... say CND for example, you can take your training directly with them. Once completed you can provide CND services specifically and get insurance for that in particular. There are many brands to choose from who provide such training and often the fee includes a starter kit.

Which route you take depends on what’s available in your area, what your budget is, how far you are prepared to travel and how much time you have available.

I’ve not mentioned on-line training as I don’t know much about that option.

Just joining in on this, I've been looking at Vocational Qualifications and can't find any near me. So now looking at Academy or Brand, researching like mad. So far it's either CND or Nail Harmony have also e. mailed one or 2 others hoping to get replies tomorrow. Good luck Glamour Doll

Latest posts

Back