liability insurance

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eager beaver

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,
a friend rang up today to say that her boss has told all the staff in the salon she works in that they need to pay for their own insurance, cos of it affecting premiums etc.:confused:
She is employed by the salon.
What do you guys think to this? my reaction was no way, she is employed by them, and surely the owner should have a salon liability policy, where the therapists go on that. Also, in the event of a claim, it would be my friends responsibility to sort it out, rateter than the salons.
Any advice would be greatly appreiciated.

i dont know much about this but i would of thought if the salon employed her then it would be the salons responsiblity to sort it out, is it a hair and beauty salon or just one or the other?

I agree, if she is employed ie pays PAYE and NI then she is going through the salons books and its their responsibility to have liability to cover the staff.

If she is self employed, then she probably would have to have her own insurance.

I run my own salon and all staff are covered under Insurance. I have a good one and its not expensive I think about £40 per month and thats everything employers, treatement and premises. Her boss can def not expect her to pay as she is employed....

After working in salons for the past 14 years and always been employed i can honestly say ive never heard of this and have never asked to pay for my own insurance.Her boss can not expect her to pay for her own insurance,she should provide it.

Hi Geeks,
a friend rang up today to say that her boss has told all the staff in the salon she works in that they need to pay for their own insurance, cos of it affecting premiums etc.:confused:
She is employed by the salon.
What do you guys think to this? my reaction was no way, she is employed by them, and surely the owner should have a salon liability policy, where the therapists go on that. Also, in the event of a claim, it would be my friends responsibility to sort it out, rateter than the salons.
Any advice would be greatly appreiciated.

Hi,

Although it is more common for a salon to pay for the insurance of their staff, it is down to their discretion, and they may ask the individuals to insure themselves. If this is the case, the staff member is then responsible for dealing with any claims made against them, because that is who holds the policy.

Hi,
i would like to thank every one who replied. i passed on the info, and she is going to speak to her employer (now armed with some input!).:)

Latest posts

Back