Licence required?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StuartW

Reaction score
My partner is coming to live in UK (Glasgow) and is planning to seek employment in the Nail industry. She is a US citizen with a Cosmotology License issued in New Jersey where she is currently employed in the nail industry.

She has been employed in this type of work for many years however she is unclear on how the industry works in UK.

Her skills include setting up Spa businesses, teaching nails as well as hands on experience. She will initially seek employment however she is considering the option of starting out on a self employed basis with either a fixed base or maybe a mobile operation.

These are examples of some of her training:

OPI Gel Color Class

Educator for LCN (course tutor and supervisory duties)

Member of International Pedicure Association

Completed Creative Nail

Design (CND) Team Creative Education

CND Certified Master’s Certificate

CND Certified Grand Master’s Certificate

Certified with LCN

CND Certified in Nail Enhancements and Spa Pedicures

Airbrushing Techniques

Certified 'Nufree' Non-Wax Epilating System

Certified with NSI Nail Application Techniques

She also does Massage Therapy, Hot Stones and the likes.

The question is, what licence will she require to practice in UK?

I should also say all this means nothing to me as I have no understanding what so ever of the industry!

Grateful for any help and guidance on this.

TIA

She may be able to convert her existing qualifications to U.K. Equivalents - NARIC is the body who does this, probably a good first stop for her!

I don't know about waxing and massage, but she has more than enough qualifications (provided she has certificates) to obtain Nails insurance cover here in the UK. In simple terms, there is no 'licence' laws here in the UK. I don't know the full US requirements but I know they have to have so many hours training, etc. We don't have that here. Some councils require NVQ qualifications to open a salon, but not all, you would need to contact your local council for regulations. The Scottish system is different to England too.

You might want to have a look through the BABTAC website, they may be able to assist more - https://www.babtac.com/

Thank you for the replies particularly the website.

My partner has also done a considerable amount of teaching the skills of nails. Could she teach in UK? What would be required to be able to teach?

Latest posts

Back