Licenses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeepPaws

Reaction score
Hello!!

Is it true that licensing is going to become law for us in about 18 months?
Someone on the tinternet said something to my hubs and I was wondering.
I did see in the Scratch mag that creative are doing the Creative License along with plenty of other new things.

Hello!!

Is it true that licensing is going to become law for us in about 18 months?
Someone on the tinternet said something to my hubs and I was wondering.
I did see in the Scratch mag that creative are doing the Creative License along with plenty of other new things.

when you say licences, do you mean all techs will have to be trained to get insurance and cannot work without it, ie cracking down on NSS ? if so that would be great would be good news for us that surely?

xxxx

I was hoping someone could tell me that answer Nic. LOL
Indeed it would be the best if this is so and I for one will be early on the course!

This confuses me slightly. Could someone explain the licensing further to me. A license to carry out nail treatments? Isnt that what our qualifications are for? Or am i being really daft?

In Canada we used to be licensed. This is where we would go to an acredited school 3-6months 3 for nails, 6 for full esthetics, have to pass the school qualifications then there was a governement exam that all nail,esthetics and hair care people would have to take (different exam for each of course) where we would do a long written test as well as a practicle on a model. It was very intense. I did it and got my license a few months before the government exam stopped being manditory. It was government funded and now no longer is, as it was a cut back from our last government in BC.
I wanted to get my license because now I always have that piece of paper that says I did it. Whatever school you went to ,good or bad, everyone had to pass the same government test so it all equaled us out in the end. They are thinking of bringing it back and I hope they do, it really is a good thing to keep the bar raised in our industry.
Im not sure the law in the UK but you can look at what we have here if you want by going to the Cosmatologist Association of BC website.

The best way to find out about license requierments for you borough or county is to ask directly at your local government office.
We have a licensing rule here in London for some boroughs but not all.
We have been hearing about this for so many years and ever so often, someone usualy a training provider will say that Licensing is coming into force nationwide and you better get your NVQ or the like...so come and train with us...
Now I am all for raising standards and raising education levels, but please dont worry that one morning you will get up and there will be a nationwide licensing law.
If and when it happens it will be huge industry news and we will all get to hear about it from those that are in the know.... HABIA, ANT or the like......

In the mean time, check out what your local council requirements are and go with that.

JMHO

This confuses me slightly. Could someone explain the licensing further to me. A license to carry out nail treatments? Isnt that what our qualifications are for? Or am i being really daft?

Hi huni,
A license is different from a qualification certificate......
You submit your certificates to the local licensing department and if they agreee that you are fully qualified by their standards, they will issue you with a license.

I hold a Westminster License, this gives me the right to carry out various Nail Treatments within the borough of Westminster and other boroughs that reckognise this license. It simply states that you are a registered Therapist i.e. Nail Technician, are known to them and they know that you are qualified to work within the given council boundary.

A lot of twaddle at the moment as I have never yet had anyone check my license lol....
But it does look neat lol...... a bit like a photo driving license......

Hope this explains it a little

Hi huni,
A license is different from a qualification certificate......
You submit your certificates to the local licensing department and if they agreee that you are fully qualified by their standards, they will issue you with a license.

I hold a Westminster License, this gives me the right to carry out various Nail Treatments within the borough of Westminster and other boroughs that reckognise this license. It simply states that you are a registered Therapist i.e. Nail Technician, are known to them and they know that you are qualified to work within the given council boundary.

A lot of twaddle at the moment as I have never yet had anyone check my license lol....
But it does look neat lol...... a bit like a photo driving license......

Hope this explains it a little

thank you ruth your info has cleared up the mystery now hun,

ive spoken to my local council, to ask them what i needed to set up etc, and was told i didnt need any licenses, as they dont require them 'at the mo' so i'm ok then, , its good to know the 'one day were ok and the next we wont be ' sceanrio isnt gonna happen, must admuit it did cross my mind

thanks for that ruth xxxxx

The best way to find out about license requierments for you borough or county is to ask directly at your local government office.
We have a licensing rule here in London for some boroughs but not all.
We have been hearing about this for so many years and ever so often, someone usualy a training provider will say that Licensing is coming into force nationwide and you better get your NVQ or the like...so come and train with us...
Now I am all for raising standards and raising education levels, but please dont worry that one morning you will get up and there will be a nationwide licensing law.
If and when it happens it will be huge industry news and we will all get to hear about it from those that are in the know.... HABIA, ANT or the like......

In the mean time, check out what your local council requirements are and go with that.

JMHO

Phew! Thanks for that!!!
I was curious as to what was happening. You hear so much and people run to the hills screaming!! lol. I was asking before I put my trainers on!! :green:

Don't worry any of you! There is nothing that will come into force without plenty (like a year or more) of notice.

Licensing is in force in London and no one may visit to check it but, if they do, it will be a problem! In my experience with my London technicians, they cannot work until the license is in place and this takes a little while as they need to visit and approve the premises.

Maybe it will come into being in all areas but plenty of warning will be given and it is not meant to be prohibitive. It just is an effort to make things safer.

We should welcome it not be worried about it!

Latest posts

Back