Licensing a salon - share your experience!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpenrose

Reaction score
Well, after a lot of search for the perfect venue, research etc. I am finally setting up my own salon! :wink2:

I have studied licensing section of the website for my council (London Islington), where it clearly says that all beauty salons in Islington have to be registered, the documents to be submitted etc. but I am lost at where to start.

Did I get it right that I need to have up-to-date PAT certificate, then invite Fire Brigade for inspection, present PAT certificate to them and get a paper from them add a few more documents and only then apply for council license? How do I go about Fire Brigade inspection? Do I just contact a local office? When they both (Fire Brigade and Council) inspect, I suppose the salon should look ready for clients and all set-up? From the info on the website it is not clear if I can work while my application pending. I suppose no, as I technically won't be licensed yet?

Sorry for so many questions - this just seems very confusing and I could not find this information myself. Please share your experience, especially if you are in Islington.

Lots of views and no replies... Are there no Geeks with Special Treatments licence?

Yes you are required to have a pat test every year. Every council is different but I have a licence to carry out electrolysis and ear piercing, a skin piercing licence. You will be required to contact your council to tell your the requirements :lol:

Thanks for your reply.
I understand that every council would be different, but how long did the whole process took? What are they looking for when inspecting the premises?

Sorry I can not help out much as I am in the same position re: fire checks.

It would be great to hear from some other geeks as to how they went about this!

Phone your local council as every one has different requirement, it didn't take long they come and vist you and check lots of things, like how you are disposing of waste, that you are changing towels etc between clients, sterilising tweezers etc,. As I say though this is for doing electrolysis and ear piercing, I don't think they are as strict if you are not doing these treatments from what I believe.

You will be required to have a pat test, fire extinguishers, etc

Best to check with each local council

I thought I'd let you know, what I did in the meantime.

So, I have finally handed the documents to council yesterday - I took the list from their official website and they were happy with it.

Prior to that I need Fire Risk Assessment, PIR and PAT test to be carried out. I have learned from London Fire Brigade (when handing in the copy of application to them), that you can do this yourself and they even provided me with the form. Unfortunately for me, I learned it too late, as when researching it myself, on the London Fire Brigade website, it states that I need to hire a company, which I did and it cost me good amount of money, that, as turned out now, was not necessary.

The rest was quite easy to do. I am now waiting for the council to come and see the salon.

Hello I know this is an old thread but I have come unstuck in a similar situation. I heard that if you have less than 5 staff then I can carry out the fire risk Assessment myself. Where do I get the proforma for the assessment?

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
The OP has been absent from the site for quite a while. Maybe consider making a new thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back