Life after L&P!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puffle

Reaction score
I have a friend who's had L&P for years and is wanting to try to stop having them. We've tried her with Gelish but as her nails aren't in great condition underneath, they get to a certain length and break. As she's so used to long nails, as soon as they break she wants the acrylic back on. Obviously I've advised to keep them short and oil like mad, but she's so used to her nails looking lovely she can't cope with them like that for long!

I was wondering whether it would work having a very thin overlay of acrylic under the Gelish for a while...or would that be defeating the object?? It's hard to know what to advise.

I have a friend trying to switch to natural nails after over a decade of acrylic nails. She left them completely bare for a few weeks and was suffering splitting and breaking. I've been reinforcing the damaged parts with fiberglass and topping it off with Gelish. So far so good. I've seen this done with shellac and axxium as well.

I have a friend trying to switch to natural nails after over a decade of acrylic nails. She left them completely bare for a few weeks and was suffering splitting and breaking. I've been reinforcing the damaged parts with fiberglass and topping it off with Gelish. So far so good. I've seen this done with shellac and axxium as well.

Thanks, that's worth a try. Do you do it completely with resin etc and then apply, or just use fibreglass with the base coat?

After normal prep, I apply a piece of fiberglass starting from where the new growth meets the old up to the free edge leaving a tiny bit to create a teeny tiny new edge. I then scrub in the base coat so it penetrates the wrap, but still keeping it thin. From there it's normal application til the end. After topcoat, I smooth out the edge and any little bumps, wipe clean, and apply a second topcoat sealing the freeedge. Hope it works out for you. Good luck!

What about a thin layer of the gelish structure gel underneath the gelish color?

Sent from my Blade using SalonGeek

What about a thin layer of the gelish structure gel underneath the gelish color?

Sent from my Blade using SalonGeek

Thanks spjelgus....I've tried structure gel but that wasn't enough to stop the breaking. Basically she needs a certain amount of length in her nails or she will just go back to acrylics. Her nail beds are quite small too, so make her nails look even shorter. x

Hi puffle just out of interest why does your friend want to stop having L&P ? x

Hi puffle just out of interest why does your friend want to stop having L&P ? x

Well...she said she only has them as her nails are so weak and constantly break, but she likes having long nails. She's tried a number of times to stop having them to see how her nails are doing, but each time as soon as they start to break she goes back to L&P. I think if she gave it time (and lots of oil) they would most likely improve...

Well...she said she only has them as her nails are so weak and constantly break, but she likes having long nails. She's tried a number of times to stop having them to see how her nails are doing, but each time as soon as they start to break she goes back to L&P. I think if she gave it time (and lots of oil) they would most likely improve...

Oh well hopefully she will persevere this time with your help :) x

Latest posts

Back