Life after the Coronavirus

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobSweden

Managing Director
Premium Geek
Reaction score
  • Do you think that clients will rush back to nail salons?
  • Will they expect us to have perspex shields on our tables? (many companies in Germany and Holland offer these now)
  • What are you planning to do that is different?

In our house, Iryna and I have different opinions. She thinks that customers will run back. I think that many people are re-evaluating life and life priorities, and that this can mean that customers will be more conscious about the risk of infection and some will start to ask more penetrating questions about sanitation and perhaps even product safety than before. But I also think that this can be a good opportunity for good professional salons and can work against NSS.

While we all have time to think, I'd love to read your comments and opinions. It can help all of us to prepare and be more successful.

I think they will come rushing back as a first impulse; so they'll book, but a lot will enquire about sanitation and infection control before attending their appointment. To be honest, I think it's time to add to our websites and social media pages insights about sanitation and infection control to allow clients information about our businesses before they book.

I think they will come rushing back as a first impulse; so they'll book, but a lot will enquire about sanitation and infection control before attending their appointment. To be honest, I think it's time to add to our websites and social media pages insights about sanitation and infection control to allow clients information about our businesses before they book.
I think the businesses will be phased in slowly and govt will be laying down some serious rules and regulation for health and beauty. To think the businesses to be in full swing by later this year is being optimistic. The vaccines will take about 18 months to be developed and marketed after further testing. I read an article that we are looking at 2022 to be back to how it was before. Anyway let’s pray and hope it won’t take that long.

Some very good points raised from the above posts and I agree that we can't be certain that it will be all be back to normal.

For starters my 70yrs plus clients will not be returning for the full 3 month period recommended by our uk govt, and neither will those that have immuno compromised conditions, asthma, diabetes and other health issues.. Others that are living with any of the above or caring for that group will avoid.
So who does that leave us with?

For me a reduction of clients by one third at least and the others may well think......"Do I really need XYZ treatment?"

We do very personal treatments on clients and take eyebrow shaping for one, it cannot be done behind a screen. I think masks and gloves will become the norm for all treatments including massage and facials.

I am proposing having larger spaces between clients for strict sanitation, as I did on my final closing days anyway. Spray the entry point to my house with sanitising spray after each client has left. Wipe surfaces between clients. Clients also will do a strict hand washing regime on first arrival ....which again I had implemented before closedown.

It certainly is an opportunity to re- evaluate what we do and keeping clients informed will be our best asset. Trying times ahead, but non more than what we are currently experiencing.

Stay safe everyone.

I think the businesses will be phased in slowly and govt will be laying down some serious rules and regulation for health and beauty. To think the businesses to be in full swing by later this year is being optimistic. The vaccines will take about 18 months to be developed and marketed after further testing. I read an article that we are looking at 2022 to be back to how it was before. Anyway let’s pray and hope it won’t take that long.
I'm definitely not saying that we will all be back in full swing by the end of the year. The amount of businesses that will have gone under by then will be phenomenal.
But now is the time to let our clients and potential clients know how seriously we Do take health and hygiene in our environments as professionals in our industry.

I'm definitely not saying that we will all be back in full swing by the end of the year. The amount of businesses that will have gone under by then will be phenomenal.
But now is the time to let our clients and potential clients know how seriously we Do take health and hygiene in our environments as professionals in our industry.
Indeed and it’s very sad state of affairs. Economist are saying we are facing similar economic downturn as in the Great Depression of 1930’s. But doesn’t kill us will make us stronger. We will all be back bigger and stronger with amazing marketing strategies in place.
Xxxx

I think it will be a time of major shifting of priorities and that we should be discussing how to adjust to new concerns and requirements. We were already facing concerns about sanitation, hygiene, and allergies. I think this will accelerate those concerns and each of us will have to address them clearly. I also think that the fashion will change. Because of the risk of bacterial/viral growth, long, fake nails will be less fashionable. Nurses and other health care workers already have such restrictions and I would not be surprised to find other industries putting restrictions in place. I think we need to work on great designs and manicures for shorter nails. Generally speaking, I think the industry needs to pivot away from just fashion and focus on nail care as health care and self care.

Last edited:
I have been thinking along the same lines. Work is just not going to restart where I left off so am trying to preempt what could change. I can see us all wearing masks and gloves as standard, but would it go further for instance if we are close to the clients face will they be expected to wear masks and eye protection where possible. I have been sneezed on when doing clients lashes. So could we be protecting the client only, or protecting the therapist too?

Part of a consultation could include a virus related question for any treatment?

Maybe this antibody test that keeps being discussed could be a kind of passport to who can or can't have treatments? And also which therapists can or can't return to work?

I can see our shitty council using the virus situation to increase a council/license charge, and/or charge us extra for doing a more in depth health and safety check on our premises.

I can't see them just lifting the restrictions and it's back to normal, I personally feel it might be lifted in areas slowly with social distancing still in place. Although the government will likely sit back and see what other countries are doing first.

Lots of my clients have been in touch and are already missing their treatments, was very disappointed with 1 who was offering double money to see this week, they have been let go I no longer want her on my books. I feel clients will be back, although some may have been hit financially as lots of mine are furloughed, but quite a few still working. Had a few cheeky messages saying I should be doing offers when I reopen, replied to those that some treatments will actually be increasing due to product and equipment costs.

Thanks for all the well considered and interesting replies xx

I certainly think they will come rushing back but I won’t be rushing back!!

The first wave is only the beginning. Once lockdowns are lifted there will be more, this won’t ever go away unless there is a vaccine. The next wave will affect the people most desperate to get out. They will infect anyone who has gone back to work and that’s where the second wave will start.

I will be waiting inside for as long as it takes.

Eventually I can see the whole way beauty works changing.

Spray tans I think will be more popular as there’s no need for contact.

Everything else..we will need screens probably over couches and on nail tables but it will never be enough. I’ve been infected with masks, gloves and goggles on before with mild illness. It will never stop.

The first thing that happens is those that care less about their clients and more about quick cash, will be offering cheap treatments to those desperate to get out and it will not do them any favours.

People will appreciate paying acceptable prices for treatments now lives are at risk. Cheap stuff will not be the norm anymore. No longer will a side street nail bar with dusty nail polishes and dirty tables and reused everything be making money. It will be the ones of us the stopped working to protect people. We will be like tortoises poking our heads out of shells when it’s finally safe and everyone will be ecstatic. Either because they got ill from someone after a few quid or because they were so low skilled and desperate to be working doing anything they messed up their hair/lashes/nails/whatever’s.

Lots of people will have taken ‘courses’ online with no assessment and even more will be coming here to get help with their mistakes as they have nobody to learn from.

I am going to have to convert my garage as my house has carpet on the way to my room. I don’t want anyone bringing it in and walking it through my carpet. I don’t think carpets will be in any public space, from office, receptions, anywhere, anymore. Hoovering them puts virus in the air and risks safety of whoever is doing it Hoovering won’t be done last anymore as it will blow viral particles onto surfaces that will need to be cleaned after.

My clients are mainly 60+ due to the area I live in and with the 12 weeks initial lockdown for the elderly then I fear it may go on longer and they won’t want anyone in their homes for a long time.
Too many people know a friend or a cousin etc who do nails and beauty treatments, you can buy kits online and watch online tutorials too so clients could do some treatments themselves.
I like to get a massage but I am unsure of how the close contact will work once the lockdown ends.
Personally I don’t think the industry will go back to being how it was before.
People have been furloughed, lost jobs, insecure about the future economy. I have been in this position and all my treatments are dropped as it’s not essential. They are a luxury I can do without if need be.

Norway is allowing hairdressers to reopen next week. Along with other industries opening now, then others in the coming days and weeks. I personally feel it's way to soon, but will be interesting to watch if this can work.

Latest posts

Back