Lifting a level 5 to a level 7/8

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blossom89

Reaction score
I haven’t done a colour correction in years and need some advice. My client has wella kp 55/0 every few months and has done for years. She is about 25% grey natural level 5 and would like to be able to go lighter to around a level 7/8 so that the grey is less noticeable when the roots start to appear. Am I best off with a colour stripper, bleach bath or do I really have to go in with highlights? Any advice would be greatly appreciated x

How long is her hair? If it’s shoulder length or longer, and the level 5 tint has been re-applied over mids and ends and is quite saturated, I’d opt to use a colour reducer to remove the majority of colour and then take it from there. Bleach highlights will take a few sessions and be quite drying to the cuticle layer so I’d be less keen on this route unless the client doesn’t want to pay for a full colour correction service.

If someone says ‘colour stripper’ to me, I’d assume they were talking about a bleach based product like effasor rather than a colour remover/reducer. If you’re not experienced using these products, perhaps have a read of the thread pinned on this forum that explains about how they work and tips for using them?

How long is her hair? If it’s shoulder length or longer, and the level 5 tint has been re-applied over mids and ends and is quite saturated, I’d opt to use a colour reducer to remove the majority of colour and then take it from there. Bleach highlights will take a few sessions and be quite drying to the cuticle layer so I’d be less keen on this route unless the client doesn’t want to pay for a full colour correction service.

If someone says ‘colour stripper’ to me, I’d assume they were talking about a bleach based product like effasor rather than a colour remover/reducer. If you’re not experienced using these products, perhaps have a read of the thread pinned on this forum that explains about how they work and tips for using them?
Super thank you! I’d rather use the reducer and steer clear from any bleach based products. I did take the colour through to the ends a few months back, when applying the new colour I’m concerned from reading other posts that it may go straight back to square one and the outcome is just as dark as first started. I need to cover the grey so am I ok using a permanent colour once I’ve used to reducer? Many thanks for the advice x

Latest posts

Back