Lifting fills, whats wrong with me?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slueless

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am finally getting to the point that I can make a decent nail, however, I am losing customers, when I do a fill. They lift or come off. I am just not sure what I am doing wrong. I use a drill to take off lifting and thin out nail, could I be taking off too much, too little, what could be the problem? It happens with tips and natural overlays. Soooooo sad!
Suzanne

Suzanne, don't feel sad cause i am in the same boat as you. my first full set is beautiful then my fills are to throw away. Whene you get some good advice let me know. Don't let it get you upset!

Hi suzanne,
Perhaps the problem could be the use of the drill. The vibration that drills create could be causing the product to lift. Maybe try going back to a good old-fashioned file and see if this helps. I know it will take a little longer but it will be worth it when your clients keep on returning for your excellent rebalancing techniques! Good luck babe. :biggrin:

Thanks Simona and Shelly, for the support and advise. You guys are great, it is so nice to know we have a strong network that can support each other when times get down. Shelly I never was taught to remove fills with a file, sure it was mentioned in Beauty College, but I never got the chance to do a fill. Crazy hu! I will practice on my trainer and my own fingers to see how it goes. Och! I usually miss when doing my right hand. Oh well a small sacrafice if I get the customers to stay. My time is still very slow as well but I am getting more confident and think now I can pick it up a notch.
Thanks again
Suzanne

I have found it is always the infills that cause the problems. I have never used an electric file, but if you want to leave it just use a 100 grit to remove most of the acrylic then come down to a 180 grit, then file the last bit down to the point of flaking with the 240 grit. That way you shouldn't damage the natural nail and it should reduce the time it takes.

You also might want to find a one day workshop type course which would cover trouble shooting like infills.
Hope this helps

Thank you very much Talented Talons, every little bit of information is a great help. I will try your method. I hope someday to find the training, but they offer so little in Nor. Calif. it is hard to get a class.
Thanks a bunch again.
Suzanne

Where shall I start!!.. Well, When removing lifted product dont forget to file gently until a new seal is found. You must remember to prep. This is most important, because if you leave non living tissue on the surface of the nail plate then, nothing will adhere to the nail ( liquid and powder is keratin bonding and doesnt like tissue in the way) another very important point to remember is mix ratio.. Too wet mix ratio causes lifting,(amongst other things as does a too dry mix ratio. and when applying your beads of product you must PRESS AND SMOOTH your product into place. aggressive filing is only a fraction of the cause for lifting. I love my drill but, Drills must be used carefully. You shouldn't have to use a 100 grit file, it's a bit harsh..120/240 should suffice. sculpt with your brush not your file and dont forget.. You might be able to shape and file your product after 3 minuites but, it takes 24/48 hrs for L&P to fully cure so plenty of solar oil and educate client on aftercare especially in the first 48 hours. You can message me if you need more help. Best of luck.!
icon14.gif

I have come to realize that virtually everytime there is lifting it is caused by improper prep. Make sure you remove every bit of the pterygium from the nail plate and do a thorough prep. I am so careful now to take my time removing the pterygium and now I barely ever get any lifting. In my case I thought I was doing a thorough prep job and worrying about contamination (which is also important to watch out for), but the problem was not getting all the living tissue off the nail.

Latest posts

Back