Lifting hair colour without bleach, as client doesn't want it on her hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elelight77

Reaction score
She has a Base of 3 & want 's to be a 6. Was thinking of putting a 8 or 9 on midlenths to ends, with 9%. She has no over lapping of colour & only proffesinal products used on her hair. Would I get enough lift to be able to apply a 6 allover then for the desired look

Hello and welcome to SalonGeek.

Must admit, I’m a bit baffled by your thought process on this one.
Why are you choosing an 8 or 9 tint when a client is a level 3 and wants to lift 3 levels?
I’m wondering if you’ve missed out some vital bit of info in your OP?

Normally, I’d either bleach and tone or just use a level 6 tint.

Hello and welcome to SalonGeek.

Must admit, I’m a bit baffled by your thought process on this one.
Why are you choosing an 8 or 9 tint when a client is a level 3 and wants to lift 3 levels?
I’m wondering if you’ve missed out some vital bit of info in your OP?

Normally, I’d either bleach and tone or just use a level 6 tint.
I'd be afraid that the 6 would have enough of a lift on the hair. So if I lift it past the 6, it's easier to go back. Rather than just apply the 6 & hope it does lift.

I'd be afraid that the 6 would have enough of a lift on the hair. So if I lift it past the 6, it's easier to go back. Rather than just apply the 6 & hope it does lift.
Wouldn't have not would

Have you completed your colour training because your thought process on this is seriously flawed.
If you apply a 6 with the correct developer, of course it will lift from a 3 to a 6 and tone accordingly.

Ask yourself, what’s the undertone on a level 6 and on a level 8?
The depth of colour pigment within a level 8 tint is much less than in a 6 and so you would end up with some lift but hardly any deposit and it would be the wrong colour.

Yes I have. But it all must not of sank in.Thanks for your help.

Hi, I saw this post and thought maybe I could help with products for this...
You could try a creme lightener as that isn’t technically bleach and you’re client would be none the wiser!
If you choose one with that brands version of ‘Plex’ technology, she won’t even notice that it’s been lifted a few levels. ;)
Just tell her it preps the hair for the colour...
Lift to a 6 and then deposit the shade you’d like.
It’d be a lot more true to tone than lifting with a colour in my opinion. It’s more work, yes, but if you can get an even coppery undertone base, any level 6 you put on there (brunette or red shades) will look lovely and will fade beautifully. :)

Hi, I saw this post and thought maybe I could help with products for this...
You could try a creme lightener as that isn’t technically bleach and you’re client would be none the wiser!
If you choose one with that brands version of ‘Plex’ technology, she won’t even notice that it’s been lifted a few levels. ;)
Just tell her it preps the hair for the colour...
Lift to a 6 and then deposit the shade you’d like.
It’d be a lot more true to tone than lifting with a colour in my opinion. It’s more work, yes, but if you can get an even coppery undertone base, any level 6 you put on there (brunette or red shades) will look lovely and will fade beautifully. :)
Thanks for your reply. I used the 6 & I was right about it not lifting. Your suggestions makes more sense as you have to lighten the hair first on mid to ends for an even 6 all over. Will follow my gut in future as it will save time & looking like I'm unprofessional ☺

You could try using the L’Oréal lightening oil! It’s mixed with either 6% or 9% - it’s designed to give a sunkissed look and is really gentle on the hair. Let her know it may be a process to lighten 3 levels but explain that’s best for the condition of her hair and I’m sure she’ll be happy! X

You could try using the L’Oréal lightening oil! It’s mixed with either 6% or 9% - it’s designed to give a sunkissed look and is really gentle on the hair. Let her know it may be a process to lighten 3 levels but explain that’s best for the condition of her hair and I’m sure she’ll be happy! X
Thanks will give this a try in the future. You can never have enough knowledge on all the products out there ☺

Thanks for your reply. I used the 6 & I was right about it not lifting. Your suggestions makes more sense as you have to lighten the hair first on mid to ends for an even 6 all over. Will follow my gut in future as it will save time & looking like I'm unprofessional ☺

Yes, I think that can work on levels 5-8, but not with lifting that dark.
I mean some brands will so I can’t argue with others direction on this... But personally with dark hair, I always prelighten, just to get that true to shade look! :)

Thanks will give this a try in the future. You can never have enough knowledge on all the products out there ☺
Anything like this would be great, there are lots of choices for ‘no bleach’ lighteners! :)
But always choose a brand that you’re familiar with as you will most likely have the correct developer/ knowledge for the product. Best to do a bit of homework ;)

I didn't know about this, might try this on my own hair thanks!

I don't like this whole "lying to clients" thing. Fact is you need peroxide to lighten hair. It isn't the same as "bleach" and some formulas are very gentle, but there isn't some alternative product that allows hair lightening with no damage. I prefer to be really open with my clients about the chemistry of hair color, it's a better long term strategy because they don't get confused or ask for impossible things.

If this was my client I would try to convince her into a strand test with an appropriate color, a gentle, moisturizing developer and spiked with plenty of olaplex. Then she could decide for herself whether she was willing to have this same process on the rest of her hair.

Latest posts

Back