Lifting Nails ..Myth or Truth?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonilee

Reaction score
:lol: Can you geeks just clarify something for me......I know what I think but....

An established nail tech I know was chatting to me today.......she said

"I have been so stressed lately with all our family problems its a wonder my nails have stayed on" :!:

its a wonder my nails have stayed on....???????

Please assure me I am right in thinking this actually as nothing to do with your nails staying on...as far as we covered in our training lifting was largely due to insufficient prep, or working too wet......I never covered anything about stress causing your nails to lift!!!

I can`t see any reason why this would be true!!!
Be interesting to see what others say though........if there is anything technical as to why this should happen! x

I think stress might make you pick or bite them off not make them fall off.

:confused: She offers a free gluing service to her clients and retails speed bond for "clients that suffer with lifting" apparantly too!!

Believe it or not, I read on, and excuse me if i'm wrong, on Backscratcher's products, that stress or excessive emotional problems can lead to nail lifting. That was one out of several reasons. :eek:

Believe it or not, I read on, and excuse me if i'm wrong, on Backscratcher's products, that stress or excessive emotional problems can lead to nail lifting. That was one out of several reasons. :eek:

:eek::eek: See I was told it was due to poor prep or working too wet ...oh also touching the skin with the product.....can anyone else clarify!!!

:eek::eek: See I was told it was due to poor prep or working too wet ...oh also touching the skin with the product.....can anyone else clarify!!!
The most common causes of lifting are poor prep, incorrect ratio, or poor application (ie touching the skin, not pressing to the nail plate enough), but believe it or not stress can be a factor.
Not normal,commonplace having a bad day kind of stress, but extreme stress such as someone close to you dying.
This year I had a client who had been with me for 8 years, who's marriage fell apart, her husband left her with all sorts of problems to deal with & I think she really was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. From the time he left, I watched her nails get worse & worse, and it was from biting or anything like that. .

I have one client who suffers lifting when she is having a hard time..... She't a picker/biter but when she has stressful situations to deal with her nails lift!

well thanks for that everyone i had absolutley no idea!!

Absolutely ... extreme emotional stress can cause lifting ... but we are talking extreme not the, "oh I'm so stressed out today" kind of stress. But beautynails is quite correct.

I have seen it happen but only twice in my 20 year career.

If extrem stress can cause your hair to go white overnight (not a myth) believe me it does have an impact on your system in general. Just another internal factor that has an affect on ones general health like diet and illness etc.

Thanks for clarifying Geeg
:hug:

I aswell thought that nails lifting due to stress was caused by picking and biting...
I didn,t knew about this...happy i read about it so i know for the future.

But i wonder how it actually works? What exactly happens to the nails with extreme stress that the nail enhancement starts to lift?

Anybody? I,m curious

As Geeg said it was in extreme cases of stress, therefore I think when lifting is a problem we should be cautious of blaming stress too quickly as its far more likely to be caused by poor prep, or application. If it was an extreme case of stress I am sure it would be very apparant. Hth

Yes i understand that it only occurs by extreme stress but i was interested in knowing exactly how it happens for example if the nail produces more oils during periods of extreme stress causing the enhancements to lift etc...

I know i make the question a bit complicated :lol: but i thought just to ask if anyone knew which specifick changes take place in the nail during times of extreme stress to cause lifting.

The body can do odd things when you are under extreme stress. Why this happens, who knows?

When my dad died, my mum's hair at the front went white almost overnight. it's unbelievable if i hadn't seen it myself.

Oh my... It,s amazing how the body reacts to extreme trauma/stress

I'll stop trying to be einstein in my quest to figuring out how this happens...'even though i am still curious :o'

But it was quit educational... i really thought previous to reading this thread that it was all a myth.

Thx for getting back to me :hug:

Oh my... It,s amazing how the body reacts to extreme trauma/stress

I'll stop trying to be einstein in my quest to figuring out how this happens...'even though i am still curious :o'

But it was quit educational... i really thought previous to reading this thread that it was all a myth.

Thx for getting back to me :hug:

Extreme stress produces chemical changes in the body .. sometimes hair falls out or turns white ... chemical changes happen to the surface of the nail plate too. Even an extreme change of diet can produce these changes as in a radical detox of the body, which can also be the cause of nails lifting clean off the plate. Interesting stuff no?

:lol: Can you geeks just clarify something for me......I know what I think but....

An established nail tech I know was chatting to me today.......she said

"I have been so stressed lately with all our family problems its a wonder my nails have stayed on" :!:

its a wonder my nails have stayed on....???????

Please assure me I am right in thinking this actually as nothing to do with your nails staying on...as far as we covered in our training lifting was largely due to insufficient prep, or working too wet......I never covered anything about stress causing your nails to lift!!!

LOL Reasons for comming off and how to avoid breakages when in a stressful situation:

1. Climbing the walls with stress and snapping them when reaching the ceiling, check for correct sporting activity length
2. Strangling the other half with way to long enhancements, check apex location lol
3. Instead of biting her tounge she is biting her nails, insert dental mouth guard to cushion the bite
4. Needing a drink, cant locate the bottle opener, digging the cork out with her nails. check for suitable life style length.
5. Throwing a suitable object at random around the room, check for all the above including mouth guard, incase object boomerangs in her face.

Just some ways to prevent accidental stress damages
LOL have a fab weekend Geeks

Extreme stress produces chemical changes in the body .. sometimes hair falls out or turns white ... chemical changes happen to the surface of the nail plate too. Even an extreme change of diet can produce these changes as in a radical detox of the body, which can also be the cause of nails lifting clean off the plate. Interesting stuff no?

I honestly thought that any changes like this would have to happen at the root of the nail (matrix) and stress would only affect the new keratin growth, as the old keratin has already flattened and thus formed. Like hair falling out at the root.....you learn something new every day... thanks Geeg xxx

I honestly thought that any changes like this would have to happen at the root of the nail (matrix) and stress would only affect the new keratin growth, as the old keratin has already flattened and thus formed. Like hair falling out at the root.....you learn something new every day... thanks Geeg xxx
As a general comment to everyone:
Can I please stress that this is a very rare and extreme occurance and not to go thinking every time you see a bit of lifting that it is due to stress!!

Just be aware that it can happen and if it does it is so obvious as the natural nail is shiney and free of any blemish caused by the nail coming clean off.

Latest posts

Back