Lifting on damaged nail plates

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TraceyJoJo

Reaction score
Hi Geeks, after a bit of advice please.

Done a full set on a lady Monday night, get a phone call late last night saying they are all lifting and can I come back tonight and sort them out. No probs.
She was introduced to me by her friend who is a hairdresser, her nails have lasted fine, so I'm fairly confident that its not me in this case.

I explain a few reasons to the lady about why they possibly lifted; she works in a kitchen and wears rubber gloves all day and that her nails were in a damaged state prior to enhancements (she said herself that they were very soft and that she wears stick ons then picks them off and the nail beds were very short) and said that if they lift again, I'll change her to gel to see if that helps. Then she says "but they didn't lift at the last place I had them done". Turns out to be the local NSS.

So I explain that thats because they rough your nail up with the drill and they use a different liquid etc but its going over her head! Her point is, why pay more for mine if they dont last? Even though she admitted that she was very happy with how they looked. I explained that its because I dont damage your nails to which she replied "but they are already damaged so it doesn't matter!"

So, my question is (eventually!);

How do I get them to not lift, other than roughing them up even more?

Thanks xx

A damaged nailplate won't hold the product like a healthy nailplate will... the poorer the foundation the higher chance of lifting etc.

You could try extra dehydrating prior to application and see if it helps, and she must use extra care with her enhancements until her natural nails have grown out.

hth's a bit

I have her twin sister coming to me lol!

Last time she was here I just did a nno and I was so so so careful and she's coming back after 2 weeks instead of 3 but she's lost 3 already cos they started lifting up . . . her own nails are so thin now and they were thin to start with. Trouble is they will be, because as soon as there's a spot of lifting she helps it off etc, taking the nailplate with it.

Thankfully my lady hasn't experienced NSS. My only saving grace is that I do the nails of several people she knows and theirs are fine so she knows it must be her!

I actually am feeling defeated now with this one, so I know how you feel. :hug:

Thanks for your reply Sandi. I'm going to try double prepping to be on the safe side

The annoying thing is I know if she went back to the NSS that they would stick firm! And she knows it too!

I know what you mean Blossom!

So whats the answer, recommend them to the NSS?:eek:

I had a lady a while ago with lifting on the same 2 fingers each time, tried everything, in the end she got them done at the NSS and hey presto, no lifting! She said it doesn't matter what they do to her nails as they look bad anyway.

one of my clients is very heavy on her hands and often 'pops' (ruddy well picks!) one or two off, you can see that these nails are thin and damaged and I've explained that the products won't hold as well to a damaged nail plate etc I've tried nail fresh, but now also use the non acid primer, this does seem to be improving the situation, I was told that the primer helps to 'fill' in the damaged areas giving the product a better surface to hold to.

one of my clients is very heavy on her hands and often 'pops' (ruddy well picks!) one or two off, you can see that these nails are thin and damaged and I've explained that the products won't hold as well to a damaged nail plate etc I've tried nail fresh, but now also use the non acid primer, this does seem to be improving the situation, I was told that the primer helps to 'fill' in the damaged areas giving the product a better surface to hold to.

Thanks Clare for your help, I already use primer in my system. I'll be extra vigialant tonight and see what happens xx

If you think she may have a very oily skin, it might help to prep and prime and apply product one by one (although it seems a bit over the top I have known it make a difference), just a thought.

Just a question, while its fresh in my mind.

I can understand the nails rejection to product because of their damage .. as if to say leave me alone im poorly!

But whats the story behind it? Why do they not stay on? Because the foundations are not strong?

Hi Geeks, after a bit of advice please.

Done a full set on a lady Monday night, get a phone call late last night saying they are all lifting and can I come back tonight and sort them out. No probs.
She was introduced to me by her friend who is a hairdresser, her nails have lasted fine, so I'm fairly confident that its not me in this case.

I explain a few reasons to the lady about why they possibly lifted; she works in a kitchen and wears rubber gloves all day and that her nails were in a damaged state prior to enhancements (she said herself that they were very soft and that she wears stick ons then picks them off and the nail beds were very short) and said that if they lift again, I'll change her to gel to see if that helps. Then she says "but they didn't lift at the last place I had them done". Turns out to be the local NSS.

So I explain that thats because they rough your nail up with the drill and they use a different liquid etc but its going over her head! Her point is, why pay more for mine if they dont last? Even though she admitted that she was very happy with how they looked. I explained that its because I dont damage your nails to which she replied "but they are already damaged so it doesn't matter!"

So, my question is (eventually!);

How do I get them to not lift, other than roughing them up even more?

Thanks xx

I'd have to explain to her that the more she goes to the nss, the more likely she is to end up not being able to have nails on at all becasue of the amount of damage being caused as her nails will be so bad. Plus, with such weakend and thin plates, there could be a risk of over exposure, with product seeping through, causing allergic reaction. I'm not sure how likely it is, but it would seem a possibility.

Long term, what does she really want? Healthy, good looking nails I'd guess.

These people are so exasperating!....

I'd try the scrubfresh, nail fresh, primer type prep and keep them short to see how she gets on.

Just a question, while its fresh in my mind.

But whats the story behind it? Why do they not stay on? Because the foundations are not strong?

The nail plate is made up of three distinct layers. A compact hard surface, a soft spongy inner and a more condensed base layer - which is where the rails are that sit into the grooves of the nail bed.

NSS work on the theory that stripping off the top 20% + of the nail plate allows a hard inflexible product to find a good hand hold in the spongy inner. This is because the technology of the product doesnt allow it to bond to the plate cells themselves, they need these hols and gouges for grip.
But this is obviously thinning and traumatising the nail plate.

Professional techniques and products are designed to work with the harder surface layer (Hence only lightly removing the top 2% with a 240 grit abrasive) They then imitate the covalent bond and flex with this harder layer as if they were one in the same..

However a pro product when applied to the soft spongy layer has too much flexability and will then literaly lever itself off the damaged plate. Where the hard 'cheap' product will hold everything rigid...

HTH's

The nail plate is made up of three distinct layers. A compact hard surface, a soft spongy inner and a more condensed base layer - which is where the rails are that sit into the grooves of the nail bed.

NSS work on the theory that stripping off the top 20% + of the nail plate allows a hard inflexible product to find a good hand hold in the spongy inner. This is because the technology of the product doesnt allow it to bond to the plate cells themselves, they need these hols and gouges for grip.
But this is obviously thinning and traumatising the nail plate.

Professional techniques and products are designed to work with the harder surface layer (Hence only lightly removing the top 2% with a 240 grit abrasive) They then imitate the covalent bond and flex with this harder layer as if they were one in the same..

However a pro product when applied to the soft spongy layer has too much flexability and will then literaly lever itself off the damaged plate. Where the hard 'cheap' product will hold everything rigid...

HTH's

Fantastic explaination! Thank you so much!

Well I saw her last night and re-explained everything and she understands a bit better now. The lifting was minimal so its something we can work on until the healthy nails start growing down.

Thanks to everyone for your advice :hug:

Latest posts

Back