Lifting!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauren111989

Reaction score
i recently did a nail course in acrylic and gel nails. i have a problem with lift, ive been on google and found out about reasons why it happens. Im now using some better products and dehydrating the nails a few time before i apply the gel/powder.
would a monomer work? I havent used 1 of these before
I used a bonder with a set of gel nails i did but i didnt really get on with it. R they the same thing?
thanks
Lauren x

i recently did a nail course in acrylic and gel nails. i have a problem with lift, ive been on google and found out about reasons why it happens. Im now using some better products and dehydrating the nails a few time before i apply the gel/powder.
I used a bonder with a set of gel nails i did but i didnt really get on with it. R they the same thing?
thanks
Lauren x
Lauren welcome. You have not even scratched the surface of this site to realise that you need to do a search. Search LIFTING and you will find thousands of threads re lifting. Go to the members tutorials forum and you will find many tutorials on how to avoid lifting.

When you say you did not get on with a product jthat just means you did not know how to use it. You have a long way to go. Start by doing some searches for information by clicking on 'search' above. It's all here for you and you have entered the largest and most active website in the world for nail, hair and skin professionals. Enjoy it and Use It to help you.

thanks 4 the reply
i find it rude of u say that i dont what im doing bcos I DO!!!

I never said you didnt know what you were doing, what I said was you did not know how to use that particular product.

Those who know what THEY are doing, get on with everything. If you are not (in your own words) getting on with something that means the product is not doing what it should, if it is not doing what it should then you are not using it with full knowledge or expertise. Notrhing rude about that.

Last edited:
:eek: Where in her post was Gigi rude.
Lauren you are new to the nail industry so you may be forgiven but Geeg is one of the industries renowned technicians/ Icons and is the author of the Nil techs bible, Nailclass, she gave you some great advise in her reply and I feel that the only one being rude is you.
You stated that you recently trained in gel and acrylic yet you do not know what a monomer is or when you should use it...
I suggest you go back to your educator as it seems you are unsure of what you need and what you are doing, hence why you are getting lifting.
Sorry but there is no need to be rude on here when people are giving you advise in a friendly manner.
Jen

Lauren, I think that's more than a little unfair of you. Gigi was not being rude, nor was she implying that you don't know what you're doing.

The fact of the matter is that anyone can put products on nails, after a training course - but really KNOWING your product, knowing how to use it to it's maximum efficiency etc comes with time, experience and - above all else - education and practise. As you are experiencing difficulties with professional products that others use without problems, it is clear that you DO have to learn the correct way to use them - this may only be a very small 'tweak' in your application or prep even.

None of us know everything - I have been doing this for many, many years and am always happy to learn new and improved techniques. In fact, a part of what will make you a great technician is being open-minded that what you're doing might not be the 'best' way, especially when your product is not working the way you'd like. I suggest you read as much as you can on here, try not to be over-sensitive, and learn to take well-meant advice from a very experienced and respected nail technician in the kind way it was meant. I wish you the very best of luck. :hug:

Lauren, I think that's more than a little unfair of you. Gigi was not being rude, nor was she implying that you don't know what you're doing.

The fact of the matter is that anyone can put products on nails, after a training course - but really KNOWING your product, knowing how to use it to it's maximum efficiency etc comes with time, experience and - above all else - education and practise. As you are experiencing difficulties with professional products that others use without problems, it is clear that you DO have to learn the correct way to use them - this may only be a very small 'tweak' in your application or prep even.

None of us know everything - I have been doing this for many, many years and am always happy to learn new and improved techniques. In fact, a part of what will make you a great technician is being open-minded that what you're doing might not be the 'best' way, especially when your product is not working the way you'd like. I suggest you read as much as you can on here, try not to be over-sensitive, and learn to take well-meant advice from a very experienced and respected nail technician in the kind way it was meant. I wish you the very best of luck. :hug:

Very well put, and i think that the vast majority of nail techs would echo your words, I have been inspired by Gigi and this site, and take all advice in the manner in which it is given, with the best of intentions :hug:. Not to criticise or demean, but to help us to understand and learn.

I also agree with all that has been said in Gigi's defence..

Quite shocked by the suggestion that Gigi was rude.

:hug:

thanks 4 the reply
i find it rude of u say that i dont what im doing bcos I DO!!!

I find it strange that you say you know what you are doing yet in your op you ask is a bonder the same as a monomer,, WTF ,, do you even know what a monomer is?

You are obviously unaware of whom gigi us or else I'm sure you would realise that to be given advise of one of the greatest techs ever and not listen , well it's rude. I personally think that she could of said something along the lines of go and re- train with a reputable brand (but she never) and stop blaming your products as you can't do great nails just because you are using great products (you need a magic brush :p) you seriously need to understand how your products work and the things that can go wrong and why they go wrong and how to rectify if they do.

No one is having a go, if you are serious and willing to listen to good advise and not take it as insult the SG will if you let it be a great learning tool it has helped me become the tech I am today, met great people and contacts also .

thanks
Lauren x

I'm sorry but I too have to jump to Gigi's defense here.

I do not understand for the life of me how you can not get along with a bonder for gel. If you did know what you were doing, then you would get along with it, simple.
Let alone the comment that you have done an acrylic nail course but you clearly do not understand what monomer is and what it is used for and how it is used and then you come here asking for advice, saying you DO know what your doing and say that one the BEST in the world nail techs is being rude when I'm sorry, but it's as clear as the sun coming up each day that your not as knowledgeable as what you like to think you are.

None of what you said really adds up and Gigi put this to you in the nicest possible way (unlike me who is being very forthright) and is trying to guide you to better yourself.

ALL systems will work slightly different, they ALL have a different mix ratio etc, you will do yourself no favors if you keep changing brands, you need to pick one that is good and train in that one, then if you still do not like it move on again but train each time in that particular system as they all work differently.
One products mix ratio will not work the same for another and so on.

Gigi's reply was not on any level rude, but some might see mine as rude but I'm just saying it as I see it and this all just sounds a bit odd as to what the OP claims to know but clearly doesn't.

Well thank you all for defending me, friends but (in my best Judge Judy voice). Do I look like I need any help?? :lol:

Seriously, I think the poster could have been scared off the site by now, and we really don't want to do that.

The truth isn't always easy to take. Lauren, you admit you are very new to nails which in itself is an admission that you do not know it all. I have been 27 years in the industry and do not know it all and am always seeking to learn more otherwise, nails would not have held my interest and passion for so long.

My advice is to stick around and learn ... You will be a better technician for doing so. Learn how to use the site to help you and we all will too, but the first thing you need to learn is to 'take it like a man' and not be too sensitive. No one means to be rude ... Just straight talkers and in your own best interest. :hug:

Well thank you all for defending me, friends but (in my best Judge Judy voice). Do I look like I need any help?? :lol:

Seriously, I think the poster could have been scared off the site by now, and we really don't want to do that.

The truth isn't always easy to take. Lauren, you admit you are very new to nails which in itself is an admission that you do not know it all. I have been 27 years in the industry and do not know it all and am always seeking to learn more otherwise, nails would not have held my interest and passion for so long.

My advice is to stick around and learn ... You will be a better technician for doing so. Learn how to use the site to help you and we all will too, but the first thing you need to learn is to 'take it like a man' and not be too sensitive. No one means to be rude ... Just straight talkers and in your own best interest. :hug:

It's a human nature thing:hug: to defend those who we feel are right against those who we feel are not so right.

:hug: I Lauren I hope that your Salon Geek experience hasn't been tainted by the responses that you received regarding your post. You said you're new and I don't think anyone expects your nail application to be perfect yet. I'm going to give you some helpful tips because I think that's what you were after:

You should spend time really prepping the nail plate, (work quickly before your clients natural oils rehydrate her nail plate),

Try not to touch her nail plate with your fingers because you'll transfer the oils from your fingers onto the prepped plate.

Maybe you could change your brand of primer, I use planet nails (I'm not sure if you can get that brand in your country),

Perhaps you're getting the overlay too close (or over) your client's cuticles and between the nail plate and lateral folds (remember to really pull those folds away from the nail plate when applying product and file away any excess acrylic before buffing so that the overlay is as thin, smooth and even as possible.

Monomer isn't going to stop your overlay from lifting, primer will. But how would you know that unless you asked? You've done a nail course so you obviously know what monomer is :smack:(that's not for you Lauren:hug:, that's for that sarky person who asked you if you even know what monomer is)

I love this site it's helpful and fun but there are definately people who jump on the bandwagon and post negative retorts as soon as anyone replies to a comment on their own post that they feel is hurtful.

I am sorry are you refering to me as being the sarky person? You will find I actually was refering to the fact that she obviously doesnot know what monomer is or else why would she be asking if it would help with her lifting issues.

We as proffessionals will in instances like this advise the person that she go back to her educator or do conversion with reputable brand as op was as obviously her initial training was not as through as should be or else she would know the answer to her question not looking for answers on google or you tube.

Sorry if you do not like this but it is the way it is, why offer advise and help when it's obvious that alot more knowledge is needed than that.

Don't sweat it Kate, I too could be the sarky person that is being referred to:)

Beauty Parlour, I think the point is.....if youhave done a nail course that includes Acrylic and Gel, then you would know exactly what monomer is and not have to ask if it would prevent lifting as it's not used for this purpose, primer is used for this purpose and making sure you do your other prep work correct.

I'm sorry, I do not see how anybody asking the OP if she knows what monomer is, is a sarky question/statement at all, the OP should never have had to ask it in the first place if she had had training.
Because if she had had training in acylics like she said she had, she would have been taught what monomer does and doesn't do.

Latest posts

Back