Lifting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donna-louise

Reaction score
Hi
I registered about a week ago and have been looking through the site nearly every day, I have just plucked up enough courage to post. I have recently passed the vtct level 2 nail technology course and was pretty happy with the nails I did during the time I was at college, but now I seem to get lifting around the cuticle area. I have read a few posts about prep but still can't get my head around it. Iam feeling really frustrated. I don't use scrubfresh because at college we were told to use proflo products. We were taught:
prep nail, equalise, use primer, apply tip or form, use primer again then apply the acrylic.

Any help much appreciated

donna-louise
xxxxxx

Hiya, firstly welcome to the site, you will learn a lot on here......dont know anything about proflo products but i was taught to prime only once (NSI) are you thorough in removing all the non living tissue from the cuticle area as this can cause lifting, also you need to remove any cuticle remover thoroughly as this can also cause it. Im sure you will get loads more suggestions....hth x

donna-louise said:
Hi
I registered about a week ago and have been looking through the site nearly every day, I have just plucked up enough courage to post. I have recently passed the vtct level 2 nail technology course and was pretty happy with the nails I did during the time I was at college, but now I seem to get lifting around the cuticle area. I have read a few posts about prep but still can't get my head around it. Iam feeling really frustrated. I don't use scrubfresh because at college we were told to use proflo products. We were taught:
prep nail, equalise, use primer, apply tip or form, use primer again then apply the acrylic.

Any help much appreciated

donna-louise
xxxxxx
Hi Donna-louisa and welcome to the site! You shouldnt have been nervous of posting on here - we wouldnt bite (well not unless we were hungry, lol)!!! Can you tell us what you do when you prep. the nail? Often this is the reason why people get lifting. Other reasons for lifting at cuticle edge could be the product is touching the cuticle or product too think/think in zone 3. Are any of these a possibility?

Hello donna-louise and welcome to the geeky world of nails,
You will havea great time here !!!!
As for the lifting:
Lifting at the cuticle area is caused by 3 things
1. non living tissue still on the nail plate = product cannot adhere to the keratin
2. not pressing product firm enough in zone 3 = product is floating instead of gripping and bonding with the keratin.
3. Product coming in contact with soft tissue = product is sitting on top of life tissue, this is also an over exposure risk for the client.........

Check your prep, make sure the nail is completly free of any non living tissue and all cuticle remover has been rinsed off....Scrubfresh afterwards, this removes all pathogens and will help adhesion of the L&P.

Check your application technique and work at the correct ratio........Correct bead size and firm pressure when pressing the small bead in zone 3........

If your College or tutor is offering troubelshooting classes take them.............
Hope this helps

HI Again

Here is my prep:
Ask client to wash hands in antibacterial agent
sanitise the hands
remove non living tissue
apply equaliser (dehydrate)
apply primer
fix tip/form
prime again and then apply l&p

I don't have it thick in zone 3 but i was wondering if maybe it is to thin as you can literally flick the lifted piece off

p.s thanks for the advice

Donna-louise
xxxxx

do you remove the shine from the nail? this will make a big difference

Sorry:

yes i do remove the shine before dehydrating the nail

donna-louise

Latest posts

Back