Lightening help?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimmyA

Reaction score
Got base of a 6/7.. need to get it to around a 10 using kolleston perfect. Any ideas??

Bleach then tone.

Wanting to stay away from bleach.. any other possibilities??

Wanting to stay away from bleach.. any other possibilities??

Why? Bleach plus low vol. developer is less harsh than tint with 40 vol.

My client doesnt want bleach..

My client doesnt want bleach..
Is your client a hairdresser? If so she would know lightening hair is done with bleach. Hi lift tint is always going to give that band of horrible brassiness on anything less than an 8. You need to explain that to her. Perfect example attached of being a base 6.
1544262020430.png

Got base of a 6/7.. need to get it to around a 10 using kolleston perfect. Any ideas??
As a professional, you are the one who needs to make the recommendations, not the client. If your client says "this is what I want" you say "okay that is achievable /okay thats not achievable" they don't get to tell us how to do our job! If you lightened it with anything other than bleach it won't be a single process, and I can almost guarantee it won't be a level 10 and your client won't be happy. Your best option is to use a good quality bleach, scalp bleach if available. Use olaplex if available. You also need to make sure she's using professional products at a home to maintain colour and more importantly the condition on her hair. There's no point in her spending £100+on her colour and then washing it in £2 shampoo when she goes home.

You are the stylist not your client.

You will not achieve the lift you want by using high lift
You will need to use bleach, using it with 3% will be less damaging then using highlift

You are the stylist not your client.

You will not achieve the lift you want by using high lift
You will need to use bleach, using it with 3% will be less damaging then using highlift
What is the best bleach to use??

What is the best bleach to use??
Blonde me hase bond protectors in it.
Indola also do one with bond protectors in.
But my go to would be Blondor scalp bleach cream with olaplex.

Blonde me hase bond protectors in it.
Indola also do one with bond protectors in.
But my go to would be Blondor scalp bleach cream with olaplex.
Thak you

Possibly controversial but why can't a client request the products used or not used? If I go to a restaurant I'm allowed to request certain things aren't in my meal (even though the chef thinks they make it better), If I hire a builder I can request the project be completed using materials I choose (even if it won't last as long), If i go to the doctors I can request a prescription based on my preferences (even if it's less effective).

I agree that we're the professionals and shouldn't use a product that would damage, but as our job is heavily based on customer service shouldn't their wishes be accepted and understood, possibly even acted on? (I personally believe that we can achieve a solid level 10 on a base 6/7 without bleach though so my view may be tainted).

Possibly controversial but why can't a client request the products used or not used? If I go to a restaurant I'm allowed to request certain things aren't in my meal (even though the chef thinks they make it better), If I hire a builder I can request the project be completed using materials I choose (even if it won't last as long), If i go to the doctors I can request a prescription based on my preferences (even if it's less effective).

I agree that we're the professionals and shouldn't use a product that would damage, but as our job is heavily based on customer service shouldn't their wishes be accepted and understood, possibly even acted on? (I personally believe that we can achieve a solid level 10 on a base 6/7 without bleach though so my view may be tainted).
I understand your point of view, but the hair still goes through the same process, but using bleach and 3%would give you a cleaner lift, then say a highlift and 12%. This is personal preference I guess. I see it as, if I go to a doctor who is trained in medicine and the human body, I would take their advice on the recommended medication. If I was to employ a builder, I would assume he was trained in his field and that they would be the best person to n to offer the best advice for n materials used. So why are we not seen as the professionals in our field, and why are we not allowed to use our knowledge and expertise to provide the best service we can? When a client comes in through my door they are asking for my help and advice, they don't come in and say "I want a clean level 10, but I don't want to use bleach, because you can achieve this by double processing with highlift tint and 40vol and I believe that's will be kinder to my hair." if that was the case why would they come to us? Surely they'd just do it themselves if it was that easy?

I understand your point of view, but the hair still goes through the same process, but using bleach and 3%would give you a cleaner lift, then say a highlift and 12%. This is personal preference I guess. I see it as, if I go to a doctor who is trained in medicine and the human body, I would take their advice on the recommended medication. If I was to employ a builder, I would assume he was trained in his field and that they would be the best person to n to offer the best advice for n materials used. So why are we not seen as the professionals in our field, and why are we not allowed to use our knowledge and expertise to provide the best service we can? When a client comes in through my door they are asking for my help and advice, they don't come in and say "I want a clean level 10, but I don't want to use bleach, because you can achieve this by double processing with highlift tint and 40vol and I believe that's will be kinder to my hair." if that was the case why would they come to us? Surely they'd just do it themselves if it was that easy?

In all honesty I agree with you and would always ensure that whichever service is being carried out is delivered in the manner which best suits my clients hair and condition, I'm just that annoying guy who likes to understand why people hold their opinions :) Personally I hate the no bleach logic, almost anything can be bad if misused and great when used correctly. (water toxicity is my favourite example for clients).

The thing i always find interesting about posts along these lines is simply the blur between our responsibilities as professionals and the desire to fulfil our clients wishes in the manner they select. 100% with you on being seen as professionals too, i think forums such as this are a great example of why we are expert. Sometime's I'd love my customers to see these types of conversations to better understand what goes through our minds regarding chemical services.

In all honesty I agree with you and would always ensure that whichever service is being carried out is delivered in the manner which best suits my clients hair and condition, I'm just that annoying guy who likes to understand why people hold their opinions :) Personally I hate the no bleach logic, almost anything can be bad if misused and great when used correctly. (water toxicity is my favourite example for clients).

The thing i always find interesting about posts along these lines is simply the blur between our responsibilities as professionals and the desire to fulfil our clients wishes in the manner they select. 100% with you on being seen as professionals too, i think forums such as this are a great example of why we are expert. Sometime's I'd love my customers to see these types of conversations to better understand what goes through our minds regarding chemical services.
Yes I'm with you 100% with clients needing to see these conversations! I wish you could educate everyone before they walk in through the door!

Possibly controversial but why can't a client request the products used or not used? If I go to a restaurant I'm allowed to request certain things aren't in my meal (even though the chef thinks they make it better).

Your analogy is flawed.
In the restaurant you’re choosing what to eat/not eat which is the same as the client choosing the colour she wants to be: a warm creamy blonde but not too gold.
What you don’t do unless you want to be punched is tell Gordon Ramsay how to cook it... :eek::p

If you spend time perfecting your consultation technique, your client will always defer to your judgement.

Your analogy is flawed.
In the restaurant you’re choosing what to eat/not eat which is the same as the client choosing the colour she wants to be: a warm creamy blonde but not too gold.
What you don’t do unless you want to be punched is tell Gordon Ramsay how to cook it... :eek::p

If you spend time perfecting your consultation technique, your client will always defer to your judgement.

Okay you caught me, You get the gist though lol

I have this problem. I have a new client who is a retired hairdresser. She has roots base 6 regrowth with 50% grey. The rest of her hair is level 10 blonde. I thought easy, I will scalp bleach with 3% then tone with goldwell 10p. She has just informed me that she doesn't want bleach in her hair and that her last hairdresser (she's moved) used to be able to lift her roots to a 10 without bleach. What should I do/say to her?
I tried just using 12/71 with 40 vol on my own hair as I have the same base and colour but it's went really warm and not lifted enough.

I have this problem. I have a new client who is a retired hairdresser. She has roots base 6 regrowth with 50% grey. The rest of her hair is level 10 blonde. I thought easy, I will scalp bleach with 3% then tone with goldwell 10p. She has just informed me that she doesn't want bleach in her hair and that her last hairdresser (she's moved) used to be able to lift her roots to a 10 without bleach. What should I do/say to her?
I tried just using 12/71 with 40 vol on my own hair as I have the same base and colour but it's went really warm and not lifted enough.
Does her hair look bleached?
A highlift will lift a base 6, but I wouldn't be expecting a clean level 10. Ask her to contact the previous stylist and ask for the formula (to call her bluff in a way) not so that you will use the same, but just so you have an idea of what she's been having, and that will give you a better understanding of what you need to do to achieve the same result.
Obviously unless you're confident that bleach and 3% and toning with 10p will match. Good luck :)

:mad: I wonder if she’s from the old school of ‘adding a sprinkle of powder bleach to tint’??

You need to be firm and assertive and explain that she gets to choose the colour she wants to be, you choose the method to get her there. Honestly, don’t take any nonsense.

Latest posts

Back