Lights Out London - Do your bit for the environment..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anna Lee

Reaction score
Hello geeks...

Not sure how many of you know about this.. but Capital radio is doing a 'lights out' event this thursday 21st June (tomorrow)...

The point is to switch of all your lights and any other non-essential appliances between the hours of 9pm-10pm Thursday evening...

This website tells you a bit more -

Capital 95.8 - Lights Out London - Get Involved

Many major companies have got themselves involved already.. even Piccadilly Circus is going dark for the first time in 68 years...!!

Personally I think its a great idea... I will sure be taking part and I hope many geeks out there will also do their bit for the environment and join in too...

well its not going that dark its the longest day of the year:)

well its not going that dark its the longest day of the year:)

Yes.. apparently its the reason why they chose that date...

Because its the longest day of the year.. they hope that people will be even less likely to switch on the lights...

I suppose if it is still daylight..then there will be less chance of looting and a rise in street crime!!!

Sorry for my cynicism...but I never have any unnecessary electrical equipment switched on when I am not using it anyway......especially not lights.
So I don't really get the point of this. Is it aimed at domestic electricity users or businesses?
I think most shops keep their lighting on overnight as a security precaution....which takes us back to the looters lol:lol:

I will keep the lights off but the pc stays lol

I kind of get the idea, but on the website it says things like just because its dark etc etc and take advantage of the hour of darkness..give us your ideas.Well im 20 miles from London and its nearly 9.30 and its as light as day.
I know im an old spoil sport but if its not dark whats the point no one will even notice.

I shall do my bit for Lights Out London and I'm sure if Odette (aka pinkmummy) sees this thread, she will be joining in too.

I suppose if it is still daylight..then there will be less chance of looting and a rise in street crime!!!

Sorry for my cynicism...but I never have any unnecessary electrical equipment switched on when I am not using it anyway......especially not lights.
So I don't really get the point of this. Is it aimed at domestic electricity users or businesses?
I think most shops keep their lighting on overnight as a security precaution....which takes us back to the looters lol:lol:

I think its aimed at both businesses and domestic..

I think in regards to domestic.... i think their meaning of 'unnecessary' appliances are things we 'choose' to use... such as TV, computers, all lights etc.. basically they're asking us to switch it off and not use them for one hour.. they have ideas on their website as to what you can do in the dark..!! :D

In regards to businesses... coca cola and other big firms have agreed to switch off their lights for the hour.. apparently big organisations have some sort of 'emergency mode' on their electric system which they can use instead...

Its not so much how much electricity we can all save in that hour...

Its a message that they are trying to get across..

I shall do my bit for Lights Out London and I'm sure if Odette (aka pinkmummy) sees this thread, she will be joining in too.
We'll certainly be doing our bit here. It'll be good fun as we have a German exchange student with us, it'll give us something challenging to talk about.:lol: He already thinks we're crazy!:eek::lol:
I think it's great that some of the big companies in London are joining in, too many of them are still lit up like beacons late into the night when their is no need. If you see the link below, the modern world is atrocious when it come to light pollution.
The night sky in the World- Pierantonio Cinzano Web pages

On the plus side....it could make people switch off Big Brother for that hour too...woo hoo to that!!

Latest posts

Back