Lip wax reaction need some advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hlovesbeauty

Reaction score
Hi, I've just started a mobile beauty business last month and I had one of my old regular client that booked in with me.

She's had waxing done by me before and has had no previous reactions to the wax.

The next day after her appointment she text me and asked me what to use to calm the redness down as she tried everything and it stung and sent a photo and I advised her to use aloe vera.

Two days after she contacted me I checked in on her to see if the redness had gone down and she said her top lip became scabbed and said it was really sore. She said that she felt like she'd been burnt but my wax was at the right temperature and I would of thought if it was too hot she would of said.

I tried to call her but she didn't get back to me so I text to say that I could always try a tee tree wax for next time and apolgised that this had happened but she didn't respond to me.

At the time of her appointment she did re book back in with me which her appointment was today. So yesterday I confirmed her booking.

She canceled her appointment in which she had other treatments booked aswell as waxing.

She said her lip has only just recovered which has taken two weeks and said she wanted to leave it for a bit.

I contacted her back and aplogised again and offered her a free lip wax if she still wanted it done in the future but understood if she didn't.

I feel really upset by this as I've only just started a business and feel like she will bad mouth me.

Any advise on what else to do? I did use a cream wax but did go over her lip twice as there was hairs I had missed so I think it might of taken the skin off.

Last edited:
Honestly from experience these things happen. it could have been something that she did at home like certain medications, being on her period, used a certain cream or topical that she might not have told you about. Maybe for future clients ask these type of questions and inform them that lifting the skin is a possibility. you said she was an old regular client with you, if this never happened to her before it boggles me that she would act this way with you. I would put money on it that she is using something on her face that is thinning the skin or sensitizing it and didn't tell you.

you have already apologized and tried to make it right and that is all you can do. at this point you just have to move past it. give her some time and maybe contact her later and ask if she would like to schedule and if declines then just thank her for her past business and move on.

Good luck

Did you use hot wax or strip wax for her lip? Using hot wax for facial waxing and a barrier oil is much gentler on the skin and minimises reaction in my experience.

I feel for you, been there, even done it to myself.
I now always apply a thin layer of pre wax oil to the lip line, if there is any dry or chapped skin then it will usually get ripped off with the wax and take a layer of skin with it.
I use hot wax and prefer to spend the extra time with my tweezer man tweezers on the lip edge if it is needed.
I’d never risk warm wax on a mature skin. Rarely on anyone these days.
I’ve found the Hybrid warm wax is more gentle and effective than warm wax on the face if you still wanted to use a strip wax. X

I feel for you, been there, even done it to myself.
I now always apply a thin layer of pre wax oil to the lip line, if there is any dry or chapped skin then it will usually get ripped off with the wax and take a layer of skin with it.
I use hot wax and prefer to spend the extra time with my tweezer man tweezers on the lip edge if it is needed.
I’d never risk warm wax on a mature skin. Rarely on anyone these days.
I’ve found the Hybrid warm wax is more gentle and effective than warm wax on the face if you still wanted to use a strip wax. X
Another
Hi, I've just started a mobile beauty business last month and I had one of my old regular client that booked in with me.

She's had waxing done by me before and has had no previous reactions to the wax.

The next day after her appointment she text me and asked me what to use to calm the redness down as she tried everything and it stung and sent a photo and I advised her to use aloe vera.

Two days after she contacted me I checked in on her to see if the redness had gone down and she said her top lip became scabbed and said it was really sore. She said that she felt like she'd been burnt but my wax was at the right temperature and I would of thought if it was too hot she would of said.

I tried to call her but she didn't get back to me so I text to say that I could always try a tee tree wax for next time and apolgised that this had happened but she didn't respond to me.

At the time of her appointment she did re book back in with me which her appointment was today. So yesterday I confirmed her booking.

She canceled her appointment in which she had other treatments booked aswell as waxing.

She said her lip has only just recovered which has taken two weeks and said she wanted to leave it for a bit.

I contacted her back and aplogised again and offered her a free lip wax if she still wanted it done in the future but understood if she didn't.

I feel really upset by this as I've only just started a business and feel like she will bad mouth me.

Any advise on what else to do? I did use a cream wax but did go over her lip twice as there was hairs I had missed so I think it might of taken the skin off.

Another thing to check is if the wax is too cool.x

Latest posts

Back