Liquid and powder question help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve read this conversation and being a newbie who joined this site for advice I get in way where @karenmh is coming from.
You girls who all seem to know each other or have chatted on here often come across a bit clicky. Not wishing to offend but it takes courage to ask and break into a clique don’t you think?
the girl asked a genuine question and is obviously trying and doesn’t want to shout out to the world she’s dyslexic and don’t think the answer she got was any way helpful.
I get you don’t want to do anyone’s homework but there is a huge difference in teaching standards everywhere and some of us are not fortunate to have the fountain of knowledge some of you guys have at hand. Online learning, learning what other people’s knowledge of the subject is, fact gathering from different sources all helps especially when you are dyslexic so you can build a good understanding. You then go on to chat about covid and the effects it’s had on you but it exactly that reason this girl is on here asking questions - not that she is ill but Covid is probably why this girl is struggling - remote learning is hard! It effects everyone in different ways
I think personally I’d be jumping through hoops to help her if I had the knowledge not her having to jump through hoops for me to help her - it looks a little bit condescending.

What you need to understand is that many of us have been members of this forum for many years and yes some of us have formed genuine respect for each other during this time. Its not because we ass kiss, we are grown adults and conduct ourselves in a certain way, which in turn forms that respect for each other, just like in real life.

I will continue to be friendly and more personal with those who have shown respect and given professional advice.
I will remain reluctant to help anyone once they have blatently rude from the get go.
Being dyslexic or having other issues does not give people the right to be disrespectful and rude, all this will do is alienate themselves from some of the more long time professionals on this forum who genuinely wish to help but not baby the new comers.

The OP was offered help but when questioned she did not like it and became rude and defensive.
I have seen this so many times on here, people having tantrums when they aren't given answers they expect. If people don't like it then they should move on to a different forum.

Everyone can conduct themselves the way they want but when that comes across as rude or disrespectful they will find they will not get much help here.

Last edited:
Yes I get you’ve all been here for a long long time and that’s what I meant when you all come across as a clique. Now reading that message @Bel's Gels you just come across as the mean girls that everyone needs to earn respect from and that’s also what I meant by condescending @Trinity
new people should be welcomed with open arms - lets face it they don’t need to be on here they can go to Facebook insta YouTube and get great advice and education.
I have read her messages and don’t think she was being rude at all - she asked politely on her first message and her second was a simple question.
I’ve read the reply she got and from an educational point of view the reply was a closed door not an open one - there was no investigative/leading questions. It was blunt. Not helpful. I’ve read that this site is not airyfairy lovey dovey as on Facebook and you will be blunt in your reply yet you don’t seem to like it when someone is just as blunt back.

What is this site for but to share knowledge anyway? And if your this site sharing your knowledge it should be shared equally to everyone right? Whatever stage in their career.
Is there a site rule that this girl is breaking by asking for help on her assignment? Or is it you guys setting that rule? Just curious.

And if anyone knew anything about dyslexia asking for their thoughts @Trinity doesn’t help. My sons dyslexic. It’s a processing issue - your brain scrambles the information so it’s not easy to relay thoughts. It’s Frustrating for that person. changing your delivery in your answers overall would help- asking targeted questions, more questions with a yes or no answer, not too open ended.

im pleased @NailsbyMF has answered her question and as you can see she replied and was very grateful
A lesson learned there I think

I have read her messages and don’t think she was being rude at all - she asked politely on her first message and her second was a simple question.
I’ve read the reply she got and from an educational point of view the reply was a closed door not an open one - there was no investigative/leading questions. It was blunt. Not helpful.

Are we discussing different threads here? I can't see how our replies to her first or second thread were a closed door.

My reply to her first question "Who are you training with? You should contact your training provider for support first. Failing that, please post the question in here so someone can try and help". I asked her to ask us the question, how is that a close door? She just didn't reply.

@Trinity reply to her second question "We won't answer your homework questions for you but if you give us your thoughts and possible answers we'll let you know if you're on the right track."

Neither of these were blunt or closed door. We were prompting her to tell us more.

Giving her the answer is not the right thing to do. By asking the question, she has shown a lack of understanding, which is absolutely fine and we have all been there. We are not judging anyone for not knowing something. But by us giving her the answer, she hasn't actually learnt anything, she's just filled in an answer. Learning how to pass an exam is not the same as learning to become a good nail tech. She should have gone back to her college and perhaps they could have offered her some more support in that particular area. Or if not, Trinity had offered to talk through her thought process.

This isn't a case of "which is the best way to do gel ombre?". The question she asked is very important and part of building the basics, so it's essential she gets it right and UNDERSTANDS why it's right.

I would disagree that we have learnt a lesson. If another beginner comes to us asking for a homework answer and gets so defensive when we offer help, but not in the way they like, I'm sure we will behave exactly the same.

I'd also like to say that I have been here for less than 12 months. It's not about some lifelong friendship. I have been respectful and in return, members on this site have been extremely helpful.

Last edited:
Yes I get you’ve all been here for a long long time and that’s what I meant when you all come across as a clique. Now reading that message @Bel's Gels you just come across as the mean girls that everyone needs to earn respect from and that’s also what I meant by condescending @Trinity
new people should be welcomed with open arms - lets face it they don’t need to be on here they can go to Facebook insta YouTube and get great advice and education.
I’ve read the reply she got and from an educational point of view the reply was a closed door not an open one - there was no investigative/leading questions. It was blunt. Not helpful. I’ve read that this site is not airyfairy lovey dovey as on Facebook and you will be blunt in your reply yet you don’t seem to like it when someone is just as blunt back.

What is this site for but to share knowledge anyway? And if your this site sharing your knowledge it should be shared equally to everyone right? Whatever stage in their career.
Is there a site rule that this girl is breaking by asking for help on her assignment? Or is it you guys setting that rule? Just curious.

And if anyone knew anything about dyslexia asking for their thoughts @Trinity doesn’t help. My sons dyslexic. It’s a processing issue - your brain scrambles the information so it’s not easy to relay thoughts. It’s Frustrating for that person. changing your delivery in your answers overall would help- asking targeted questions, more questions with a yes or no answer, not too open ended.

im pleased @NailsbyMF has answered her question and as you can see she replied and was very grateful
A lesson learned there I think

I'm pretty sure you are deliberately trying to muddy the waters in an attempt to justify your responses, or deliberately ignoring fundamental parts of the conversation.

No, you don't have to be here, you've read the forums, you therefore know the tone, so don't complain, go elsewhere if it doesn't suit your learning style.

None of the responses were 'closed door' - for all the reasons @Kyralouise has explained and I have repeatedly explained. But again, just in case you missed it...'Give us your thoughts and possible answers and we'll let you know if you're on the right' track is a leading question.

I welcome blunt, but I do not welcome accusations of being condescending or cliquey or a mean girl when offering advice that was being asking for.

Yes we share knowledge, but we are not a free learning resource.

The answer given to her is not the full story, in fact is misleading and ultimately hasn't helped - and she certainly won't pass the unit question with that answer.

Every day is a school day, I learn from every post I make, will it change the way I reply to those asking for course work/training questions? No.

Last edited:
I think everyone’s point has been made here, so I’m going to now close this thread and wish the OP well with her nail course.

After my last post just thought I let them people know that I when and passed my assignment thanks those who helped me understand the question better thanks you so much x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back