Liquid monomer crystalizing? Also, finding it hard to blend tips, help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, this is only my second post on here and i am still training. Wanting a bit of advice, first off, today i went to do a set of acrylic nails and when i opened the bottle of acrylic liquid monomer it had crystalised, never been opened before so i dont know why it would do this?
Also wanting some advice on blending clear and natural tips, I applied clear tips today intending to try a glitter tip and ended up having to just do a full colour over the overlay as i just couldnt blend the tip enough to not see the line on the nail..I tried blending myself with a file and also tried tip blender, i didnt want to keep filing and filing as i was worried i might file too much and get the natural nail,, .. Any advice would be great. thanks in advance!

I don't blend. I use extreme smile line well less tips & glue at the natural smile line.
Don't know about the monomer, but it could b temperature related.

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Hi, this is only my second post on here and i am still training. Wanting a bit of advice, first off, today i went to do a set of acrylic nails and when i opened the bottle of acrylic liquid monomer it had crystalised, never been opened before so i didn't know why it would do this?
Also wanting some advice on blending clear and natural tips, I applied clear tips today intending to try a glitter tip and ended up having to just do a full color over the overlay as i just couldn't blend the tip enough to not see the line on the nail..I tried blending myself with a file and also tried tip blender, i didn't want to keep filing and filing as i was worried i might file too much and get the natural nail,, .. Any advice would be great. thanks in advance!

I would imagine the crystallizing was caused by incorrect storage. Have a read through the product specifications,hths

Also the tutorial is fabulous and really helps. Unfortunately blending can be a long process, especially if you are using lower quality tips. Once you get the hang of it it is like magic, I love it when the "join" disappears. Well done though for stopping before you cause damage to the natural nail, it is very easily done.

Crystallization is monomer freezing - for most monomer brands this can happen around single digit temperatures (CND is well below absolute zero) however it can almost always be returned to a workable state when returned to warmer temp.

High temps will cause it to semi react and turn into a jelly - this can't be reversed

My guess is you have experienced frosting - this is rapid evaporation as can happen when you work in a windy room. Or when the product lid has not sealed properly over a long period of time.

Lastly it could be that you do not have a pure monomer based product - other ingredients in the formula may have evaporated and left a salt crystal behind... High quality product should never have this happen however...

I would contact your supplier straight away and arrange credit/return

Hths

Hi a good book to invest in for blending and lots more is "nailclass" by Gigi, is fantastic and you will learn so much. You can buy it from mundo products x

hiya
I'm a newbie too and doing case studies in nails at the moment. I have searched through this site for info and found out so much, as I was having the same trouble as you with blending. I found quite a few threads explaining about non blending tips for natural and white tips so eventually bought some from Pro Impressions (as had been recommended, but know most companies sell similar) last week. Took a few attempts to learn how to apply them (and am still learning as they have no well!) but I am glad I have tried these as they are working for me. Takes me an hour and a half to do a full set! lol! It's all about trial and error and what works for you though. xx

hiya
I'm a newbie too and doing case studies in nails at the moment. I have searched through this site for info and found out so much, as I was having the same trouble as you with blending. I found quite a few threads explaining about non blending tips for natural and white tips so eventually bought some from Pro Impressions (as had been recommended, but know most companies sell similar) last week. Took a few attempts to learn how to apply them (and am still learning as they have no well!) but I am glad I have tried these as they are working for me. Takes me an hour and a half to do a full set! lol! It's all about trial and error and what works for you though. xx

There is no getting away from the fact that tip blending must be mastered!

Well-less tips are just not suitable for every type of nail and there are times when to do the best job possible for the client, you have to use tips with a well and you have to blend them in like the expert you should be.

Do not skip this step of your learning by A. Using tip blender, which takes longer anyway or B. using well-less tips on all nail types when they are unsuitable. Learn the job and master all the techniques involved so you can be good at what you do.

Thanks for your advice geeg, I didn't realise not all nails work with well less tips. To be honest I did feel I was cheating a bit, but was concerned with how long its taking me. I will go back to trying to perfect the blending and look at the tuitorials. Can you explain why not all nails are suitable though on well less tips, or am I just being really thick now. xx

My own nails don't work so well with well-less tips so I use a full well and blend, folk think they are real due to the natural colour tip I use on myself.

It's tough initially learning how to lose the ghost line but once done its a technique you'll be glad you mastered and I agree, don't use tip blender or acetone, just perfect the filing.

I also use clear full well tips and they blend in just as well

I believe the blending is down to the file angle and the hold, for me this is what I found anyway :)

Thanks for your advice geeg, I didn't realise not all nails work with well less tips. To be honest I did feel I was cheating a bit, but was concerned with how long its taking me. I will go back to trying to perfect the blending and look at the tuitorials. Can you explain why not all nails are suitable though on well less tips, or am I just being really thick now. xx

Well less tips were originally made to be placed on nails with some free edge .. and placed precisely on the free edge.

Bitten nails or nails that have no free edge or nail mis-shapes, such as fan nails and ski-jump nails, are not suitable for using well-less tips; in these cases, the well of the tip adds regularity and consistency to correct the shape.

The thing we see most consistently when people use well-less tips on unsuitable nails is characterised by the tip being placed way too high on the nail plate resulting in an ugly unbalanced look. The reason people doing nails do this is because they lack the skill necessary to blend tips which would make a better job (or they are just lazy) ... or they want to reduce speed and do it at the cost of the finished look.

By all means use well-less tips when appropriate, but they are not always appropriate and then you need to have the skills.

Latest posts

Back