Little Toe Nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smartypantz

Reaction score
Had a new client today, and she asked me loads of questions, which I was able to answer:D Whilst I was Minxing her toes, and trying to get that little pinkie one firmly attached, she asked me why little toe nails were always mis shapen on people. I told her that I wasn't 100% sure why but thought it was probably to do with them being crushed in shoes all the time. Is this correct, or is there another reason why, that I have forgotten? Hope you can help I would love to be able to go back to her with a definitive answer:D

Caroline

Your answer was spot on,

almost all toe nail deformation is from footware

hth's

Your answer was spot on,

almost all toe nail deformation is from footware

hth's

errr... except for deformation caused by localized infections, trauma (ie bad filing), systemic diseases, systemic conditions and everything else :D

errr... except for deformation caused by localized infections, trauma (ie bad filing), systemic diseases, systemic conditions and everything else :D

a little far fetched for this client's question. The most likely and most common reason is, as Envy said ... pressure from shoes cause the most deformation of toenails like the little toe. Your answer was perfectly right, Caroline.

The majority of folks do not have deformed toenails from "localized infections, trauma (ie bad filing), systemic diseases, systemic conditions and everything else", these are exceptions and not common causes.

Thank you for all your replies, nice to know I was right:D:hug:

a little far fetched for this client's question. The most likely and most common reason is, as Envy said ... pressure from shoes cause the most deformation of toenails like the little toe. Your answer was perfectly right, Caroline.

The majority of folks do not have deformed toenails from "localized infections, trauma (ie bad filing), systemic diseases, systemic conditions and everything else", these are exceptions and not common causes.

That poster said "almost all toenail deformation" giving the impression that all toes on most people that are deformed are so because of shoes.

That's incorrect and I wanted to prevent anyone from thinking that. Apologies if my answer confused you.

Semantics are a strange thing --- almost all to me means, amost all or 'the most common' .. IOW almost all does not to me mean 'all'. Of course there are many causes of deformations but the most common cause for the things we see in the salon are from shoes.

I'm sure most folks would not ask the question if they knew they had suffered from some disease or infection or illness they would ask because they were unaware of the cause.

Thanks Gigi,

I will stand by my statement "almost all deformation of little toes" for 2 reasons

1) it is not common at all to see any of the listed traumas creating a permanent disfigurment on little toes... In all my years I can only think of a couple of instances out of thousands of feet...

2) nail techs will know when something looks really funky and outside the realms of 'normal' ... and with little toes it's normal to have them small and distored in shape

Too often I hear techs mention fungus, infection etc etc, simply because they don't have the confidence to realise something can be distorted without being a 'health issue'
The simple answer is often the correct one...

Of course... if you ever see something that really makes you nervous or looks unhealthy then refer to someone who can deal with it properly (GP, podiatrist etc)

hth's

Thanks Gigi,

I will stand by my statement "almost all deformation of little toes" for 2 reasons

1) it is not common at all to see any of the listed traumas creating a permanent disfigurment on little toes... In all my years I can only think of a couple of instances out of thousands of feet...

2) nail techs will know when something looks really funky and outside the realms of 'normal' ... and with little toes it's normal to have them small and distored in shape

Too often I hear techs mention fungus, infection etc etc, simply because they don't have the confidence to realise something can be distorted without being a 'health issue'
The simple answer is often the correct one...

Of course... if you ever see something that really makes you nervous or looks unhealthy then refer to someone who can deal with it properly (GP, podiatrist etc)

hth's

I stated my original posting in accordance with your oringinal post; "almost all toenail deformation" not "almost all small toenail deformation"

:D

Oh dear .. let's get over it!! :D Anyone reading this thread will just think you are being pedantic when I'm sure everyone reading this also knows exactly what Allen meant without having to dissect each and every word he wrote individually.

Thankfully we don't live in a 3rd world country where infection, systemic diseases, trauma and bad diet are common (thank the lord we are so lucky) and after 25 years of looking at many thousands of feet and wonky little toenails (as well as other toes deformed by ill fitting shoes) it is more than apparent that this is the cause of almost all of what we see in front of us in our salons.

I am going to now close this thread before it gets any more combative (and for no reason other than HAVING to have the last word and to belabor a point of semantics).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back