Living cuticle remover!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just read this great article in my local paper....and I wonder if it will catch on.

Apparently at the local aquarium they have found that some of the residents can keep nails looking tidy!!

Yes!!...they have some tropical shrimps, called cleaner shrimps whose main aim in life is to provide a cleaning service for other sea creatures by eating any dead scales and ridding them of parasite.

The female staff have discovered that these shrimps also love to devour the dead skin on fingernails!!! Thus removing neatly and effectively all the non living tissue from the nail plate!!!.....apparently it can be a bit tickly though!!

It certainly tickled me when I read it...and I was quite impressed at the journalist knowing about cuticle being dead skin cells.....that's more then some Colleges know lol:lol:....pity about the soaking required though!!!!

I shall try and attach a pic.!!
Izzi it reminds me of Jaques from Finding Nemo (sorry if someone else put this)... I love these shrimp that love to clean - which Sam was a shrimp sometimes!! :eek: BTW Izzi hope you got my phone message!

Reminds me of the leeches that eat all the diseased flesh in wounds yuk:)

Leeches!!! Maggots....EWWWWWWWWW!!!
Grossed myself out.

Can you imagine the shrimp on your fingers let alone crawling all over your body??

:eek::Scared:
I'm gonna have nightmares tonite.

Mrs. Geek...aren't you off to Vegas this weekend? or is that Mr Geek going alone?

Ewww!
Just gone right off the idea of breakfast! :eek:

urgh - er i think ill stick to retailing cnd cuticle eraser rather then retailing tropical shrimps in bags of water (like goldfishes you used to get from the fair)!! xx

Reminds me of the leeches that eat all the diseased flesh in wounds yuk:)

Not leeches, but maggots.

I actually saw this treatment being peformed on someone with a really bad leg ulcer and it was amazing !!

Marlise

Not leeches, but maggots.

I actually saw this treatment being peformed on someone with a really bad leg ulcer and it was amazing !!

Marlise

Seriously Marlise...you need to get out more lol:lol:!!!!

Hi jac LOL :) I thought it was maggots that ate that uuuugh!
Lol... your so right, it was magotts, cant remember what they used leeches for in the past but it was something else:lol:

Lol... your so right, it was magotts, cant remember what they used leeches for in the past but it was something else:lol:

Those little bloodsuckers help with skin grafts and blocked veins I think :eek:

I think it is really cool. Not very efective in the nail industry thow, but it could have some potencial clients... It has its benefits thow... doesn't remove living tissue and does not cut or damage the nail plate, also rests some clients not very trusting to hand over their hands to nails tech with sharp implements....
There are loads of these type of things reapearing lately... Leaches are now in use again to prevent some infections in post op, also fly worms to clean gangrenating tissue (only feed of non living tissue also).
I think it is great that we are discovering how to use animals in ways profitable to us without damaging them...

My freshwater shrimp used to like my hands when they were in the tank. There's also a fish which some call a Doctor Fish, (Garra Ruffa) and it also loves dead skin and is in some countries an aid for psoriasis. Not very savoury but effective apparently. I haven't personally kept Garra of any type but my brother has, great fish!

Ive been trying to source these fish heard about thema nd thought they would be an excellent new idea in a pedi, cant get them in the uk though so hard to get at the moment. x

Ive been trying to source these fish heard about thema nd thought they would be an excellent new idea in a pedi, cant get them in the uk though so hard to get at the moment. x

I'd love to try, to me it sounds fantastic. To the best of my knowledge Rick hasn't had Garra Rufa although he has had two other types of Garra, Panda and Flavatra I think. I'd imagine even if Garra Rufa were used for pedicaure the salon would have to be careful about what clients had used on their feet. Fancy postions and lotions could probably be harmful if not fatal to them. I bet it would be popular though x

Latest posts

Back