Local competition, advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExtensionQueen1

Reaction score
Good Morning Geeks,

Need some advice. I have spent years training in hairdressing , and spend thousands on course over the years. I have now decided to go for it on my own and the main bulk at the moment is hair extensions. However i have recently found out that a young girl in my area is fitting hair extensions (the same type that i do) for £40!!! How the hell can someone compete with that?? Im not sure if she is even qualified or insured! but nether less she is taking potential clients as i couldn't possible afford to do them at that price!!! SO FRUSTRATING!!!!

thoughts plz!!

Good Morning Geeks,

Need some advice. I have spent years training in hairdressing , and spend thousands on course over the years. I have now decided to go for it on my own and the main bulk at the moment is hair extensions. However i have recently found out that a young girl in my area is fitting hair extensions (the same type that i do) for £40!!! How the hell can someone compete with that?? Im not sure if she is even qualified or insured! but nether less she is taking potential clients as i couldn't possible afford to do them at that price!!! SO FRUSTRATING!!!!

thoughts plz!!

£40?!?! i assume thats fitting only and not hair!!!! do not compete with this!! as i said on a previous post, dont make yourself the primark of hair extensions, wash once and its ready for the bin........ you cant get hair for that price surely?! you dont want the clients who are only willing to pay £40 for hair, she will be knocking her pan in doing 5/6/7 sets while you can do 1 for the same profit xxx

I think it is just fitting yes, but there are lots of hair shops near where i live so i guess there paying about £80 in total! so frustration that non hairdressers are coming in and taking our clients. There is a lot of competition where I live and everyone here seems to love cheapness rather than quality. would you recommend advertising further afield? xx

I think it is just fitting yes, but there are lots of hair shops near where i live so i guess there paying about £80 in total! so frustration that non hairdressers are coming in and taking our clients. There is a lot of competition where I live and everyone here seems to love cheapness rather than quality. would you recommend advertising further afield? xx

my local area averages £150 for a full head incl hair its crazy!!! most of my clients now are word of mouth, i looked at gumtree but again its all £100ish deals so mine looked so expensive next to this!!!
have you a fb page or something? could you have an ad in a local paper/leaflet drops etc? if you get yourself a good reputation your work will do the talking but advertising certainly helps!!! you could always have an offer for recommend a friend, or if 2 bookings at same time a small percentage off (you wouldnt have 2x petrol costs etc so evens out)
xxx

Nows your chance to change the local norm! Get advertisements out asking if their extensions are good quality, and do they want to look as good as fitting day for longer. Push that you use only the best products, do a comparison on cheap shop bought hair v your chosen brand, maybe do a offer of removing the cheaper hair free if they pay for a full head fitting of new ones., it gives people the chance to try you out, reduce costs and have great hair. Also check out ur insurance on doing under 16's and see if you can get the next generation of extension wearers on your side xoxo

I cant believe people pay such low prices for hair extensions!!!!!!!!
Maybe im just in a lucky area that people pay much much more for the quality of hair,quality of fitting and my knowledge but surely trying to compete with these prices is just going to make you looke like your offering the same low quality job as they do?
Dont under sell yourself.I have quoted on consultation before and clients have said "im not paying that,its much cheaper a few miles up the road" and i always stand firm and suggest its their choice to pay what they wish to but ithis is my fee which includes the consultation the application the hair a blow dry and extension check 2-4 weeks after an after care pack and me on the phone if they need any advice with many years of experience.It comes as a package not "just fitting hair"as some people like to view it.
I know its hard in the current climate but dont undersell yourself,you know your worth more and over time when you get the repeat clients which it sounds like you already do,word of mouth will prevail :wink2:

Latest posts

Back