Local radio been in contact with me regards smoking ban - what are your views?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Well ive just had a message left on my voicemail from local radio regarding the smoking ban and the effect it will have on me as a mobilt therapist.

Well to be honest I havent even thought about it. Most of my clients come to me and I do not smoke and there is no smoking in the salon so havent given it a thought.

What are your views, would you ask someone ringing for an appointment if they smoke and would you turn the customer down if they did. I have not thought about this till now but if you are going into someones home surley it is there inviroment but at the same time what effect will it have on you.

Look forward to hearing your responses

This is going to effect all mobile therapists at some stage I guess

With or without a legal smoking ban....there is a definitely no smoking in a nail salon...or any place where nails are being done.
Our products are highly volatile and flammable, even the vapours!!
Also nicotine does leave a greasy film on the nail which could lead to lifting

So you could tell the radio station that the nail industry is way ahead of any smoking ban therfore it really shouldn't affect us in any great way.

With or without a legal smoking ban....there is a definitely no smoking in a nail salon...or any place where nails are being done.
Our products are highly volatile and flammable, even the vapours!!
Also nicotine does leave a greasy film on the nail which could lead to lifting

So you could tell the radio station that the nail industry is way ahead of any smoking ban therfore it really shouldn't affect us in any great way.

Hi Izzi

Yes this is my thought however i think they are angling from would you go into a smokers house and do a treatment and you are right on the nails side but how about as beauty and nails as a whole.

Im not necessary talking about clients that are having the treatments more about going into a smoking enviroment when smoking in public places is going to be banned.

This is going to be tough one there must be therapists that smoke and ones that have people that smoke at home that have salons at home. Im not saying that you smoke in them, but this does make you think!

If a client wants to smoke in their own home then this is their perogative, but I would ask that they kindly refrained whilst I performed their treatment. Both hands are required during a service as hands go in and out of UV lamps etc. Also, nail products do contain potentially hazardous chemicals eg Acetone, so I definitely do not think the two (smoking and nail products) are compatible. What's more, I would not want the ciggie smoke contaminating my open gel pots, brushes etc....

Have to admit that I never faced this problem when I was mobile, but if i had been, I would have politely explained my reasons or else politely refused the treatment.

I never even thought about this to be honest. Does it mean they are temporarily unable to smoke whilst it is your working environment? Would it be against the law in their own home just for the period you were working there? Confusing.....:confused:

guess this may leave a "niche" market for those that don't mind the odd fag ...... , or the fagging client
yeah, we know it's wrong ....... but

guess this may leave a "niche" market for those that don't mind the odd fag ...... , or the fagging client
yeah, we know it's wrong ....... but

spose it depends if your a smoker or a non smoker

i couldnt stand anyone to smoke anywhere near me whilst doing there nails HOW DISGUSTING just the thought of it.

HOWEVER...if i was a smoker i probably wouldnt mind!

Not for me im afraid sooner they ban it the better....in fact if they stopped manufacuring them all together the world would be a healthier place !

I never even thought about this to be honest. Does it mean they are temporarily unable to smoke whilst it is your working environment? Would it be against the law in their own home just for the period you were working there? Confusing.....:confused:
Personally, I don't know that the law could be enforced in their own home, however, as Izzi already mentioned, our nail products are potentially hazardous. I for one know that I would not want to be around when somebody flicked their hot ash into a container filled with an acetone based solution such as with a soak off.

Also, in the event of something nasty or unpleasant happening, I don't think ones insurance would cover a therapist or client if it's discovered they were smoking.

If they asked if they could go outside for a quick ciggie, again I would politely decline as this is your professional time.

As a full time mobile Tech I do have clients that are smokers but none of them smole when I'm doing their nails, and tbh no-one has ever asked even though I'm in their home. I only have one client who smokes so heavily that I come out smelling like I've been in the pub even though she puts her cig out as I arrive :eek:. I have to come home, put everything in the wash and when I pick the kids up from school they know exactly whose house I've been to!! All my other smoker clients smoke outside so the house doesn't smell and they don't smoke when I'm there.

As regards the health impact on me - there is none. I'm only in the house for a couple of hours tops and then I go out inthe fresh air and on to somewhere else - it's not like standing behind the bar of a smoky pub for 8 hours at a time. This is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.

One of my clients has just informed me that you are not allowed to smoke in your own home if a workman comes out to do wr=ork in your house like repairs a washing machine etc. So surely this would apply to us too.

There is also a thing going through the councils now that may or may not happen, and varies from each council area, that you are not allowed to smoke in your own car whilst driving in that particular area £30 on the spot fine if you are caught!!!!! Just trying to find some info on that because that is taking it a bit too far.

I had heard... (don,t know if its true) but... if you have workperson,s in your home you are not aloud to smoke near them whislt they are there...

Like to know how they would inforce that one:eek::eek: but it could just b aload of cr**

I don't think I would have the nerve to ask someone not to smoke in their own home. I am mobile, and being asthmatic I certainly don't like people to smoke around me but when in their own home they're boss.

Would someone really try and smoke whilst they are having a treatment though? Or is it more likely to be someone else in their room?

I was at a clients house last week and her husband was there watching and chatting but he did leave the room to smoke.

I always inform clients that It is dangerous to smoke around my products and also that I am a non-smoker and ask them to respect this,so far nobody has minded,if they did I would leave,my health is worth more thn the cost of a treatment!!! Bring on the complete ban,lol!!! (can hear you shouting at me from here,lol ) xxx

Latest posts

Back