Log cabin advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rippersroo

Reaction score
Hi
I’m wanting a cabin in my garden.
I’m a bit confused by all the wood thicknesses etc. Any recommendations?
I’m currently looking at a few, one had 19mm thickness all round and is included in price, whereas others are 11mm and more money if you want thicker.
Is it just the walls need insulating?

Also Is it essential to ask permission from local council to work from home? I’m not talking about planning, we already have that. And I have permission from my landlord to work from home.
Also when you have electrics installed and hooked up to your fuse box, and have a separate trip switch for it. How do you go about working out the electricity as your expenses for accounts?

Thankyou

Depending on what services you offer, you might need to apply for a Special Treatment License from your council. They’ll be able to advise you.

Yes you’ll need permission from the council as you’re running a business from home. This has a knock on effect for your home insurance etc.

You mention landlord so can I presume your renting? If so, personally I’d NEVER commit such a large purchase on a property that wasn’t mine.

It’s several thousand (possibly 10+) by time get a base concreted, plus all your electrics, plumbing normally and insulating / cooling.

If you do decide to go ahead then make sure you get his permission in writing because it probably voids his landlords insurance.

Depending on what services you offer, you might need to apply for a Special Treatment License from your council. They’ll be able to advise you.

Thankyou, i don’t think I need a special license as I don’t have one now. I do lash extensions, nails and tanning

Thanks banner penguin.
Yes I’m renting but it’s a VERY long lease. At least another 15years. And 10 years ago I actually lived here before as a child for 16 years.

My landlord is putting the concrete base down and I have electrician for that side of things.
I have a downstairs loo in my home so I’m not needing water supply.

I’m currently in the process of getting permission from the council for a cabin in my garden. You need a certificate of lawfulness and then usually you need a license from the council to perform treatments. But all councils are different. It’s best to get the permission before as you wouldn’t want to be shut down if someone complains in the future!

Hi thanks for replying.
By you’re “in the process” what do you mean? Is this a long thing? I thought it’s a case of them saying yes or no?
I’m not looking for permission to have the cabin, I already have the planning permission. It’s the working from home bit or “running a business from home” that i can’t find any information on.
Is there anything I should be particularly saying does anyone know?

Hi sorry I didn't realise you had replied to me. You need to get permission from the council to run a business. They assess the impact on the area for parking access and if it will be a disturbance to the area. It is called a certificate of lawfulness. You have to apply for it the same as you would planning permission. This cost me £117 and now it's a waiting game. I think the permission can take a few months. It's worth doing as if you get a complaint made by someone in the area they can force you to stop trading. Also I would think insurance would need it.

Ok great thankyou for that info

Definitely check it all with your council because some are more difficult than others. I think some insist on a sink but don't quote me on it.

I have a log cabin. We definitely had the walls insulated, including a fireproof insulation where my wall heater is. I don't think we insulated the floor because it can get very warm in the summer.

My council insisted on planning permission as they turned down my certificate of lawfullness even though the cabin was already there. You will also need a special treatment license to work from home if you're doing tanning and nails. Mine is £300 per year. They usually want to come and see the set up and make sure it's safe, has a smoke alarm, etc.

Latest posts

Back