Log cabin or room in house?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LNB2304

Reaction score
Hi

I’m wondering if you had a choice would you go for a Log Cabin in your garden or a spare room in the house that would be solely used for your business?

I have three children and expecting my forth. The youngest is 1.5 and the eldest is nearly 8 so it can be a bit noisy at times however I am looking to start working again in the evenings at first and then more daytimes in the future. The kids would be in bed when clients would be coming.

My Hubby is happy with either option but I can’t help worry about all that money being spent on ‘me’ for the cabin. Has anyone else felt like this? I’m starting from scratch so have no clients as I have been not working for a couple of years but I’m going to build it up again with a lot of hard work I would imagine!

I have gone for a separate lodge, in your house, it would need to be quiet and clean and tidy constantly... (I don’t know about you but I find thAt a struggle with one baby and three indoor cats). It’s also nice to keep work separate. It’s not money spent on ‘you’ it being spent on a future for your family... xxxxx

I have gone for a separate lodge, in your house, it would need to be quiet and clean and tidy constantly... (I don’t know about you but I find thAt a struggle with one baby and three indoor cats). It’s also nice to keep work separate. It’s not money spent on ‘you’ it being spent on a future for your family... xxxxx

Thank you for such a lovely helpful response [emoji4] haha it’s definitely a struggle keeping the house in order xx

Hi I am a mum of four, my youngest two are 20 months and 6 months and it is really difficult to work from my spare room. If a child is poorly they keep waking and my baby only really wants me so if I could I would have a log cabin. At least you're 2 seconds away but it's separate no risk of screaming baby etc you can pop in to check all's ok in between clients xx

I worked from home for years before I started my family, I now rent a room, I couldn't imagine having to keep the house constantly clean and tidy and what if one of the kids is ill etc. I'd defo do your cabin or rent a room until you build a client base xx

I use two rooms in my house , I have a partner, 10 year old , dog & 2 cats. Take the lodge option, it will be easier and not so stressful to concentrate on your business x

Done well, a cabin is a big investment. You've got a fourth child on the way (congrats btw).

Why don't you set up in your spare room initially. You'll need a nice couch and an equipment trolley which you might be able to pick up from eBay. You can choose your business name, get some cards printed, set up a Facebook page and start building Instagram content.

This investment alone is not inconsiderable and you need to do a lot of brow and lash treatments etc to get your money back. By setting up in your house you can dip a toe in the water without getting into debt. If all goes well, you can build your cabin and relocate your business.

Personally, with a new family member on the way I would worry about spending out on something which will need several years to pay back. I'd rather keep my costs low and save a little bit towards the cabin. Setting up in a cabin isn't a licence to print money. And it isn't something that you can sell on. Once the money is spent, it's gone.

You'll soon learn to tidy up the hall, clean the loo and keep clutter behind closed doors, or wisked into jumbo storage bags. Evenings are a calm time until your kids start secondary school. My daughter has a salon in her house with a large dog and a very "sassy" 8 yr old. There's no trouble with evening appointments - although daytime at the weekends need to be planned well, ideally with a kid free house.

By the time your youngest is at school you'll have a client base and you want to work during the day. That's the right time to invest in your cabin - or a new house with a garage you can convert.

Good luckxx

Latest posts

Back