Log cabin/shed etc. salon set ups!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Omg now I'm gonna re-decorate mine! As much as I love the wooden ship lack or whatever it's called, I'm going to get mine plastered and have a sparkling glittery wall as my main wall, change my bed to a reclining beauty chair can't wait! Xx
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1487630560.860852.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1487630583.676985.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1487630600.333882.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1487630616.433082.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1487630631.566459.jpg

Hi everyone I've asked for permission to build a summerhouse in the garden and work in it from my housing office (council tenant) they are currently considering fire safety due to the flammables etc. How have you overcome this. I was going to take majority in the house as I do now (currently mobile)
Im waiting on feedback from fire service and have to compile a list of flammables and quantities insurance details etc to send back to housing office

Hi ladies,

How does this sort of set up stand with business rates in your experience?

Hi everyone how are you all getting on? I love your cabins. I currently work from my conservatory but I’m thinking of getting a small cabin built but mine would need to be made to measure. I do have a strange shaped space though and it would be long and narrow.

Hi I have a tiny garden and could fit a small cabin in but would loose a fair bit of space. My 2 children don't tend to play out there much as we live near beach and country park. My main worry is will I regret loosing the space and how small can I go? Would love some feed back. Just can't work from my kitchen any more :-(
Hi did you get a cabin?

Hi Geeks
I know their is a topic already going on for show me your setups but i was hoping to start this one specifically for cabins, sheds etc all kinds of garden buildings just for inspiration!
So i have my cabin being delivered in the next 2 weeks and so far have just done the base (pictured)
Im so excited but would loe to see some of yours for ideas when it comes to decorate mine! Im hopingto officially open in September which will hopefully give me enough time to get the cabin in electrica done etcView attachment 40271

Can anyone here help me; I’m about to buy a house with an outbuilding (about 17ft shed) with lovely flooring done, electric and lights and big windows, but I have no clue about insulation. Do you think an electric heater or two would be enough or can you recommend a type of insulation? Whether you did it yourself or how much it cost for someone to do it for you?

Can anyone here help me; I’m about to buy a house with an outbuilding (about 17ft shed) with lovely flooring done, electric and lights and big windows, but I have no clue about insulation. Do you think an electric heater or two would be enough or can you recommend a type of insulation? Whether you did it yourself or how much it cost for someone to do it for you?
I think insulation is wise - can't advise specifics - but it's well known that outhouses unless done properly with insulation etc. tend to be too hot in summer and too cold in winter. Consider the cost of proper air con too.

I know my wifes lady has a really nice outbuilding and she hates it for the above reasons. She's looking to move somewhere with a double garage and convert one of those.

I definitely second insulation. I work in an old building made of stone. I know from experience that stone walls don't hold heat in winter so I fitted thermal plasterboard with insulation and reflective foil on the back. It's about 2" deep so it reduced my space, but I think it was worth doing.

I've also fitted infrared heaters on my ceiling. If you need electric heating these are the way forward. My brother has a national business supplying and fitting them and they are awesome. They cost about £500 a heater with simple installation and they last for years - I'm taking mine with me when I move. You need a much smaller wattage with infrared, I've gone from 2kw heaters to 600W. I'm warmer and the heat is instant so I don't need to switch on my heating hours before I open.

I haven't solved the heat issue. I have a water evaporative fan. There's a big tank of water and you fan cool with the heat from the air getting held in the tank of water. Some fan coolers have a tank which you can't easily empty, which is a pain because the water gets warm. I also have vortex fans which set up a cooling breeze. I bought a "portable" air conditioner which uses heat pump technology and pumps the hot air outside. It doesn't make much of a difference tbh. And it's expensive to run. We don't bother with it in summer much. It just makes us feel better.

I definitely second insulation. I work in an old building made of stone. I know from experience that stone walls don't hold heat in winter so I fitted thermal plasterboard with insulation and reflective foil on the back. It's about 2" deep so it reduced my space, but I think it was worth doing.

I've also fitted infrared heaters on my ceiling. If you need electric heating these are the way forward. My brother has a national business supplying and fitting them and they are awesome. They cost about £500 a heater with simple installation and they last for years - I'm taking mine with me when I move. You need a much smaller wattage with infrared, I've gone from 2kw heaters to 600W. I'm warmer and the heat is instant so I don't need to switch on my heating hours before I open.

I haven't solved the heat issue. I have a water evaporative fan. There's a big tank of water and you fan cool with the heat from the air getting held in the tank of water. Some fan coolers have a tank which you can't easily empty, which is a pain because the water gets warm. I also have vortex fans which set up a cooling breeze. I bought a "portable" air conditioner which uses heat pump technology and pumps the hot air outside. It doesn't make much of a difference tbh. And it's expensive to run. We don't bother with it in summer much. It just makes us feel better.

Thanks Duchess this is so helpful! I’ve been working from my lounge for so many years I can’t believe I’m so close to getting my own space! But have to be practical. It’s got a stable door and a double door on each end and 3 big window panels so I’m thinking as time goes on making them double glazed as apparently it can help with the heat/cold issue.

I’ve been wanting an air conditioner for years, every summer I say I need one for work as it gets crazy hot when waxing even indoors. I usually have all my house windows open so could leave all the doors open early in the AM in the summer house to air it out.

Was the insulation a big cost? I will not have to worry about keeping it warm just yet so can sort heaters out later on in the year, so for now I want to think about the main important bits like insulating it as it will affect the paint job and the board on the inside before I move everything into the room. Did you do the insulation yourself or did you have someone fit it for you? Just thinking about my back and whether it will cost a lot or if it’s worth it to get someone in.

While I think of it - do you have to pay business rates for it? As I haven’t had to worry about any planning permission as it’s already there incidental to buying the house but as I don’t qualify for it at my current place I’ve never had to worry about it. I read on the gov website they take into account the property value? So does that mean the entire house value or just the shed value..? Very confused.

Exciting!

Ok so your main worry is staying cool now rather than keeping warm later on in the year? And being sensible about the cost of retro fitting improvements later on as opposed to doing it right from the start?

The insulation will be expensive to buy but you can shop around online as it will need to be ordered. Brand names are Kingspan and Celotex, Be warned that local chaps can sometimes drag their feet about using materials that they aren't familiar with and will use words like "unwarranted expense" and "overkill".

It's not much harder to fix than normal plasterboard. However it is heavy. You might want to check with building control (your local council). Mine was "dot and dabbed" into place and screwed on to batons to hold it in place wihile the "dot and dab" set. I got mine installed for me but I couldn't afford to plaster skim over the top. So I put up wallpaper. A mixture of feature wall paper and white textured wallpaper, painted over.

I've got the same insulated plasterboard in my house. It was a big job to retro fit so we started off just doing the alcoves where the walks are thinner and the result was instantly noticeable. You might just want to do the walls that catch the weather/wind chill/sun. I'd recommend it even if you just did one wall.

Re your windows, double glazing isn't as big a heat loss/insulation improvement as you might hope/imagine. To keep the heat out during the day, get blinds that you can pull down during the day to shut out the heat for now. Later on get an awning to pull forwards on the front. I'm planning to move, but if I was staying I'd defo get an awning.

White blinds look pretty with nice plants etc on window sills - or even an IKEA shelving unit placed under the blind. You can get good ones online which you should be able to hang yourself. Or the IKEA slatted blinds if they are the right size.

For heat insulation/retention, Instead of double glazing I'd recommend thick, insulated curtains, or shutters. Much cheaper to buy and at least as good if not better performance compared to double glazing. Much less hassle to fit these later on as well.

Council tax is down to your local council - check with them. Business rates is unlikely to apply as you only pay if the theoretical annual rental value is over £12k..

Does anyone have any pics of their conservatory set ups? I’m looking for inspiration

Brilliant I love these little salons. I am a mobile hairdresser and have been thinking about doing this for a while. This thread has definitely made my mind up. Thank you everyone xx

View attachment 41822
Hello, I loved your cabin, if I understand well I have to get a plan permission from the council o I can have the cabin and work from home? also do I need to fit a bathroom since is beauty services I am going to offer? does the council required that from you?View attachment 41823many thanks, x
So log cabin has finally been delivered & fitted. I have the guy coming to do electrics this week :D Hunby laid the flooring i really liked the original floor and was going to stain it white but we really needed some underlay to keep the heat in, soundproof it and keep all those creepy crawlies out so ended up laminating! Have got to finish the decking around my base & paint imside this week. Also need to find some big plant pots for outside & insulate the roof once electrics have been done! Will update more photos in the process xx

Wow, I love all the cabins I m seeing, yours is so beautifull, could you let us know what sort of expenses should I be looking for by having a cabin? do I pay more council tax? did you need a permission? did you have to fit a toialet? what did you do for the heating? and may I ask you which company did you buy your cabin please? Sorry for so many questions, I would be most gratefull fo your help, TIA xxx
Here's mine x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hello

I am almost ready to instruct a local firm to install my log cabin for my home salon. I'm very excited ☺️

Just wondered if I could get some feedback from people re insulation. I've been quoted with insulation as I thought it was the sensible thing to do.
But I also love the wood effect which I will of course loose.

What are people's feedback on heating these?
Would you go with insulation or not?

Also wooden doors and windows or upvc?!? ‍♀️

Thanks in advance

Hello...

I'm setting up a new salon and it will hopefully look like this. I'm opening in 3 weeks time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200405-084102_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20200405-084102_WhatsApp.jpg
    548.3 KB · Views: 106
Hello...

I'm setting up a new salon and it will hopefully look like this. I'm opening in 3 weeks time.

Lovely looking salon, but obviously whether or not you’ll be able to open and be fully operational in 3 weeks time, will very much depend upon the Government’s scope of lifting lockdown measures.

If anyone is serious about running a business from an out building - I would not have one built of wood!
It will not have the longevity of a brick built - but the cost will still be high - and it will not add value to your home in the long term.
If your business idea doesn’t work out - at least a brick built ‘office’ will have some value if and when you sell your home - a fancy shed will not!

Latest posts

Back